Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Melbourne booked! one way ticket, friends needed!

Options
  • 09-05-2011 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭

Just booked my flights, heading over after spending the last few years in London, backpacked around SE Asia, Aus and NZ in 2008 so just going to be working in Melbourne...

Would be great to get in touch with some people over there, for beers, kickabouts etc.

Also, does anyone know the best way to ship stuff over from Dublin (or London)? like a large suitcase? damn airlines only allowing me 23kg

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭universe777

What airline are you flying with? Etihad give you 30kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

i used an post and shipped 20kg for i think it was 90 euro or some thing but check the site, it arived in 6 days too which was sweet! and ya id be on for beers dude, drop us a line when your here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

What airline are you flying with? Etihad give you 30kg.

I'm going Etihad Dublin-Bangkok, so only 23kg allowed on that route apparently as they are both 'zone 2', then going Bangkok-KL-Melbourne with Malaysia Airlines and they only allow 20kg, which is crap as I wanted to pick up some supplies (suit/shirts etc.) on the way in BKK.. think I'll just have to ship a case over, Etihad are charging US$25/KG Excess!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 E.E.T

I only get 20kg with Cathay Pacific! :(
    Not sure what they're charging for excess.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

cooper90 wrote: »
    i used an post and shipped 20kg for i think it was 90 euro or some thing but check the site, it arived in 6 days too which was sweet! and ya id be on for beers dude, drop us a line when your here

Cooper 90, quick one for you; was 20kg the max. weight of package allowed by An Post? Also, was their any length/width constraints?

oh and OP there is a Melbourne beers thread you could find info from for meeting heads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭cooper90

sorry it may have been 130 i checked my eail there, but it was still the best deal

http://postage.anpost.ie/rates.asp?country=AU-MC&cname=Australia&rname=Main centres&zone=4&item_type=Parcel&weight=20&service=IP

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Princess_N

I'm heading over in July :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 E.E.T

Holy! My excess is US$60/KG.
    Lima, your US$25 seems very cheap!:P

How am I possibly going to fit everything into 20kg? I know there are shops over there but I hear clothes are expensive. I may well be going around in my birthday suit, I hope it's warm in Sydney in Aug! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

E.E.T wrote: »
    Holy! My excess is US$60/KG.
    Lima, your US$25 seems very cheap!:P

How am I possibly going to fit everything into 20kg? I know there are shops over there but I hear clothes are expensive. I may well be going around in my birthday suit, I hope it's warm in Sydney in Aug! :D

Yeah it should be fine with a hoodie in Sydney, but it'll be cold and maybe wet in Melb, so I have to bring over a coat and some hoodies etc., which will add on lots of weight, I think my plan is to ship stuff over and then wear stuff onto the plane, e.g 2 hoodies and a coat.... man im going to look stupid boarding a plane in Bangkok in 35c heat wearing all that stuff!!

• Registered Users Posts: 41 cmf22

Head to base hostel in st kilda. u wont be long meeting people there, loads of Irish and brits, good way to find work too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

E.E.T wrote: »
    I know there are shops over there but I hear clothes are expensive. :D

Not to expensive in comparison to earning but the problem lies in what there is to buy. Melbourne is absolutely SH!TE for clothes unless you like skinny jeans and all that jazz!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Its worth mentioning that some airlines allow extra baggage allowance on a one-way flight if you are emigrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Its worth mentioning that some airlines allow extra baggage allowance on a one-way flight if you are emigrating.

really?

danotroy wrote: »
    really?

Yes if you present you unvalidated Permanent Resident Visa you can usually get 40Kg.

I mentioned it on another thread a few weeks ago
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75252144&postcount=11

thats handy to know however im just heading on the standard whv.

thats handy to know however im just heading on the standard whv.

well that's just a holiday rather than migrating, you will only get the holiday allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

mandrake04 wrote: »
    well that's just a holiday rather than migrating, you will only get the holiday allowance.
    Unless your a goose .... they Migrate for a year

yeah its not too bad. 20kgs should be enough for any guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

yeah its not too bad. 20kgs should be enough for any guy.
    Really mate, dont have many belongings in this world?

Sundy wrote: »
    Really mate, dont have many belongings in this world?

nope not really got laptop and a camera and books **** loads of books. ill be taking most of what i own bar the books. anything left behind will be sent to the charity shop.

• Advertisement

Zambia wrote: »
    Unless your a goose .... they Migrate for a year

They certainly do

http://australiandictionary.net/goose

Not how it was meant but funny none the less.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Gossipgal

I flew Etihad last week and stupidly didn't weigh my bag - got up to check in and back was 36kg! Max limit per bag is 32 and excess would have been €45 per kg over I think. Anyway I offloaded some stuff with my mam and got it down to 28 and was willing to pay the extra but when I got back up she said that's perfect and didn't charge. Obviously it's the discretion of the attendant but I think they are very fair if you are a bit over but not by a ridiculous amount

What extra? That reads you are 4k under or am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Gossipgal

Sorry it was above earlier in the post so didn't repeat - 23kg is what is allowed. 32 is max per bag due to H&S for baggage carriers., even if it was 32 would have had to pay for 9 kgs, as it was I got it down to 28 but they didn't charge the 5 over

Zambia wrote: »
    Not how it was meant but funny none the less.

Ha you were thinking feathers, and I was thinking of the words migrating & WHV in the same sentence.

Advertisement