Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nutritious, delicious & calorie full food for dogs!

• 09-05-2011 11:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Wondering if you could help me. Posted a thread last week about my sick 10 month old puppy and basically was a very bad case of gastro. 2 nights in vet clinic on i.v fluids and we brought him home sat morn.

Now my prob is apart from a few slices of ham last night he will not eat a thing and has not eaten since last monday. Have tried so many food types and vet even gave us a special food and treats that apparently dogs LOVE but no go. Wondering if anyone has any tips on food I could cook prepare for him to get him back to eating. He's lost so much weight and I want to build him back up again. He's still not himself and everything is usually done at 100mph when he's well and although he's so much better than last wed he's still not himself. Am I being too worried about the food thing and should I just give him time or does anyone have any suggestions on tasty food for dogs?

Have tried sausages, beef, chicken, beans, homemade brown bread and the list goes on and on at various diff temperatures and consistencys.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Try a little scrambled egg, the vet usually advise scrambled egg, then try chicken and rice, just put some rice and water in a pot with some chicken pieces, boil it up no stock or anything, good for upset tummy's and if you get him eating that, there's a recipe I posted on the "Do you bake for your dog thread" for a casserole/stew the vet suggested to bulk up my dog when he was very skinny.

here's a link to the thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056259499&page=2

Just to add, try giving a little from your hand and then leave the bowl on the ground for 10 mins, pick it up and put it down every hour, he'll eat when hungry, but it may take time due to the illness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Did the vet give you a tin of a/d, mix that up well with some warm water.

If no joy with that I second the idea of scrambled egg, chicken and rice or mashed potato.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

If the food you got from the vet is a dry food, wet it with some warm water and wait for it to go soggy. This will make it smell better and be more palatable for your dog. If it is a wet food, warm it up in the microwave to get it warm but not hot and try it (for the same reasons as wetting the dry food). The "15 minute rule" (that is, putting the food down for 15 minutes and if it isn't eaten take it up until next meal time) is a good one to stop pickyness in dogs but a young pup would need to eat regularly so it may not be the best idea at the moment.

If there is still no success, try some light foods - rice, potatoes, white fish, chicken, eggs (poached, with a runny yoke, are a particularly popular one in my house!) to mix in with the dog food (again, wet and warm dog food!). Feeding food warm, as opposed to straight out of the fridge or at room temp, is also a good way to encourage you dog to eat.

He may not be in the mood to eat and if he is drinking well he will probably be ok but if he outright refuses to eat anything at all (esp yummy human food) for more than a day or two, you will need to bring him back to the vet to make sure all is well. A hungry dog (however stubborn and picky) will not pass up food if it is given to them, it could just be a matter of patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭yolanda

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Tried the scrambled egg, chicken, rice and all to no avail last night. Cooked up a beef stew cassarole type thing and put a small bit in his bowl last night and he started to lick it but then stopped so I took the food away and put it down and couple of hours later and he ate a small bit so making progress!

Gave him same thing again this morn and he ate all of it so I think he's on the mend! It'll be all nutririous food for the next week or so to get a bit of weight back on him. Everyone commenting on how skinny he's gone!

No the vet did not give me that a/d. He was trying him with some sort of puree baby food type thing and I may get that for him for a few days if it has more calories than his normal nuts which may I ad I dont know how I'm going to get him back on now!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

hi, i dont know if its good or bad for a dogs tummy but i used make porridge (made with mostly water and a bit of milk) for my dog when he was v sick, he used love it, esp from a spoon :D... now i must say my dog was v sick (had cancer) and i didnt care what he ate as long as he ate and i didnt think a bit of milk was going to make him any sicker than what he was.

• Advertisement
Advertisement