Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tori Amos - Dublin, November

Options
  • 09-05-2011 11:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭

Grand Canal Theatre
    Dublin
    Wed 9 Nov 2011, 19:30

Great to see her back. Does anyone know if she will bring a band with her this time? Her Iveagh Gardens gig was just Tori & Piano. I'd prefer her stuff with a full band (especially if she has Matt Chamberlain on drums).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 MusicDots

Yessss I can't wait!!! :D Don't know if it's with the band either, it would be nice! Loved her show in Iveagh Gardens as well, it was brill! Got deadly tickets for November the other day, sooo excited! :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 68,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Grid.

Think I shall head along to this....will it sell out soon?

I'd say so!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 tipp0044

MusicDots wrote: »
    I'd say so!
    Might have a spare ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 4,734 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Over seventy different songs have been performed on the tour to date.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Advertisement

tipp0044 wrote: »
    Might have a spare ticket

How much??:)

Last night's set list from the Waterfront:
    Shattering Sea
    Seaside
    Suede
    Velvet Revolution
    Girl Disappearing
    Leather
    Pancake
    Father Lucifer
    The Rose
    Winter
    Fearlessness
    Star Whisperer
    "I Haven't Done This Before"
    Angels
    Your Cloud
    Way Down
    Cloud On My Tongue
    Spring Haze
    Siren
    Cruel

A Multitude Of Shades (String Quartet)
    Baker Baker

Carry
    "Go Away With You"
    Spark
    Big Wheel

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Sesudra

Am so so so excited about this! I haven't felt her new music as much over the last few years but "Night of Hunters" has really brought me back into the fold:D

Any cheap tickets floating about??:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Gridlock wrote: »
    Any cheap tickets floating about??:p
    mcd released some production hold tickets an hour ago, try ticketmaster, there might be some left

• Advertisement

Phenomenal.
    Overall, better than the Belfast show (although we did get Siren there, which alone justified the trip).
    Some tour debuts last night as well, as far as I can tell. Better late than never, I suppose.
    Highlights for me were the God/Tubular Bells/Running Up That Hill mash-up, Maybe California, A Sorta Fairytale and Hey Jupiter. The Snow Cherries From France improvisation was good fun as well. Excellent sound and a very good crowd who were quietly respectful during the performances, but enthusiastic in their response.
    It may not have been the best Tori show I've seen, but it's in the top two. :D

Shattering Sea
    God/Tubular Bells (The Exorcist), interpolating Running Up That Hill
    Suede
    Mr. Zebra
    Maybe California
    Fearlessness
    Little Earthquakes
    Ophelia
    Josephine
    Snow Cherries From France (with "I Forgot My Words" improvisation)
    Winter
    Star Whisperer
    Yes, Anastasia
    A Sorta Fairytale
    Lovesong
    Hey Jupiter
    Nautical Twilight
    Cloud On My Tongue
    Cruel

A Multitude Of Shades (Quartet)
    Your Ghost
    Leather
    Precious Things
    Big Wheel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

thanks for the feedback delbertgrady, she has some collection of great songs to choose from. I wasn't at the gig myself.

Personally I would have liked to see a full band behind her but it seems it's not what she's after right now, especially when listening to Night of Hunters (which is very good btw).

Yeah, Night of Hunters sounds particularly nice on that lovely Deutsche Grammophon vinyl. :D

The Apollon Musagète quartet add an great extra dynamic. Okay, it's not a band, but the effect is very impressive, and the reworking of some of the back catalogue (the quartet replacing the electronica on Suede, for example) is very interesting. She clearly loves the arrangements, and there is something very special about hearing some of the "old" (i.e., non-Night of Hunters) tracks with live strings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭daymobrew

The Apollon Musagète quartet add an great extra dynamic. Okay, it's not a band, but the effect is very impressive
    I was very impressed with the quartet. A chello provides a lovely bass sound (Kristin Hersh uses one a lot).
    They frequently provided drum like sounds with slaps to the instrument body or strings.
    And they were very animated.

During "Snow Cherries From France" she forgot the lyrics and did a fantastic ad-lib to get back on track.

She played for almost 2 hours. A great performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

daymobrew wrote: »
    I was very impressed with the quartet. A chello provides a lovely bass sound (Kristin Hersh uses one a lot).
    They frequently provided drum like sounds with slaps to the instrument body or strings.
    And they were very animated.

During "Snow Cherries From France" she forgot the lyrics and did a fantastic ad-lib to get back on track.

She played for almost 2 hours. A great performance.

she's making a few mistakes lately, OK I suppose she's playing so many shows etc mistakes will happen when she's doing so much. She started Mr. Zebra in the wrong key at some show but she recovered brilliantly, it's actually more interesting to see her recoveries, so talented.

LOVED the show!! Definitely my favourite one I've been to. The string quartet was amazing as well. I play the violin so I loved the strings! Great songs, loved the improv during Snow Cherries as well. Great to see her in such good form. I agree about Night of Hunters, it's my favourite album since Scarlet's Walk. I think it has a Pele-ish feel to it, and Pele is my favourite album. So happy that she's gone back to that kind of stuff! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,069 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

absolutely wonderful concert!!!!

I am always amazed on how she is playing with one hand on the piano and one on the keyboard!!
    And the way that shw now has become one with the string quartet. . . so great to see her again!!!

(btw, first time in the Grand Canal Theatre. Great venue, very good sound!!)

Advertisement