Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spice Restaurant (Indian)

Options
  • 09-05-2011 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Apparently its above Cunninghams in Kildare Town. Any feedback from people who have actually been there? How would it compare to swampa in Naas which seems to be highly recommended?

Thanks in advanced

W.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Hi whowantstoknow,

I was at this restaurant last month with my husband and two young children. Went after hearing about it from someone that we didn't really know well but mentioned that Paolo Tullio gave it rave reviews which sparked our interest in it. After looking at the review (see link attached), we went and have to say it was VERY good. Had the special dinner for two with a bottle of wine for €40 (don't think you can beat that deal these days even) and got the kids two 'kids meals' which from what I remember offered them everything from chicken korma to chicken goujons and chips - so they were happy, priced reasonably and came with a nice dessert - three scoops of ice cream. We were adventurous and tried dishes we normally wouldn't have at our local Indian restaurants, for example, a Goan Fish Curry. That said, the waitress we had (who was English) was EXCELLENT - so nice, friendly and informed. Have to say, we are definitely going to return with friends. Review was spot on, staff are friendly and professional and for a Wednesday night they had quite a few tables full, which can't be said of a lot of restaurants these days.

http://http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/food-drink/paolo-tullio-spice-up-your-tastebuds-2566993.html

We haven't eaten at Swapna in Naas but have eaten at the Indians in Newbridge, both of which we find good. However, for a night out again, I'd probably try to get to Spice (without kids) and try to have drinks in Cunninghams after. Go and enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Gregsor

I think they are doing a 25% off takeaways too for April/May,yet to try the place but looking forward to it from what i have heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Thanks for the feedback...If anybody else can compare to swampa that would be great.

Its for a family do so may do a recon mission!! :-)

W.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

yum yum yum - that's all I can say.

Another advantage is you can have any indian dish as pub grub downstairs in cunninghams too and likewise, you can have a decent pint of guinness with the meal upstairs if that's your fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Hey folks, hate to say it but we ate here again last weekend and have to say wasn't impressed. Waitress not as good/knowledgable (where did that nice English lady go???, she was great!). Deal for two with wine wasn't on offer - seems its only on during the week, I think. We ordered from the menu. Starter was good but the main courses were definitely lacking something....and that was the food - my husband's chicken dish had exactly four small pieces of chicken in it. At €15, he immediately advised the waitress who then had a manager we presume come over and he showed her, she thanked him for telling her and left to go to the kitchen and returned advising that they were putting on another plate for him. She returned with an identical serving (again just four pieces of chicken). This confused us as we couldn't figure out if the new plate was supposed to have a 'top up' portion for him or if that is what the chef considers a portion - either way, not acceptable. I had a fish dish and it had two prawns, very little squid and some white fish - definitely not like the dish I had back in April. I would hesitate going back here after our recent experience there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Offer is a midweek offer, so available mon to thurs. They do have an early bird deal for weekends - not sure of details.

English lady still there - but I'm sure they allow her off the odd night:D

My guess is you just got them on an off night, cos I still find it hard to beat and portions are always very ample and its still taled about locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

I still think Indie Spice in Naas is one of they best Indians in the Kildare area

Advertisement