Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console collection

Options
  • 09-05-2011 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

So for the last while I've been getting fairly nostalgic for old skool games and have picked up a few old consoles in the space of a month. I actually found that this is something that I could happily invest my time and money into. So what I'm asking is, am I missing any popular consoles from my list below that are REASONABLE to find these days. I don't mind having to wait for one to show up on ebay or adverts, but I do object to the idea of paying a couple of hundred quid for an 8bit console (at the moment, that may chance :D)

*I have the ones in red :)

So what I have is:
    • Gameboy
    • Gameboy colour
    • Gameboy Advance
    • GameboySP
    • NES
    • SNES
    • Master System
    • Mega Drive
    • Saturn
    • Dreamcast
    • GameGear
    • PSOne
    • N64
    • PS2
    • Gamecube
    • Xbox
    • Wii
    • DS
    • DSi
    • 3DS
    • PSP
    • PS3
    • X360

What am I missing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

is the genesis not the same as the mega drive? methinks you meant Master System :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I was scratching my head looking at that, never could get the sega systems right :) cheers! updating the post now!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,016 ✭✭✭Wossack

probably have enough up there to run with for the moment!

dont see any obvious omissions, before getting into the (fairly niche) realms of Atari Jaguars, 3DO, Neo Geo aes etc etc

Wossack wrote: »
    probably have enough up there to run with for the moment!

dont see any obvious omissions, before getting into the (fairly niche) realms of Atari Jaguars, 3DO, Neo Geo aes etc etc

Gonna go mainstream for the moment, but no doubt I'll eventually wander into that area when I run out of consoles to find :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Good place to start would be Arcade and Retro forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=94

Your list looks good to me, happy spending :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

You should look into modifying your systems as well. The problem with european systems is that they run games 20% slower than american and japanese systems and you get horrible black borders on the top and bottom of the screen. You should get them modified with a 50/60Hz switch and a region mod as well. Some will require a chip to play imports. For something like the Saturn it's pretty much essential since almost all the good games never made it outside japan. For something like the SNES, NES and Megadrive it can pretty much ruin games compared to the NTSC versions. For the N64 you are better off getting an american one and stick to american games since the PAL games are really bad ports and the console is not modifiable. I'd stay away from the Xbox, it's an extremely poor console for exclusives with the only standouts being panzer dragoon orta, Ninja Gaiden and if you must, Steel Battalion.

It's all well and good getting the games that you played when you were younger, far more satisfying is picking up the games you always wanted or discovering new games.

Getting consoles is not expensive but getting the mods to make the most out of the system, getting RGB cables so the graphics look good and then the games are what add up.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    You should look into modifying your systems as well. The problem with european systems is that they run games 20% slower than american and japanese systems and you get horrible black borders on the top and bottom of the screen. You should get them modified with a 50/60Hz switch and a region mod as well. Some will require a chip to play imports. For something like the Saturn it's pretty much essential since almost all the good games never made it outside japan. For something like the SNES, NES and Megadrive it can pretty much ruin games compared to the NTSC versions. For the N64 you are better off getting an american one and stick to american games since the PAL games are really bad ports and the console is not modifiable. I'd stay away from the Xbox, it's an extremely poor console for exclusives with the only standouts being panzer dragoon orta, Ninja Gaiden and if you must, Steel Battalion.

It's all well and good getting the games that you played when you were younger, far more satisfying is picking up the games you always wanted or discovering new games.

Getting consoles is not expensive but getting the mods to make the most out of the system, getting RGB cables so the graphics look good and then the games are what add up.

Cheers for that! Yeah I've heard about getting stuff modded. And that its pretty much safe to say that all the PAL stuff needs to be modded :rolleyes:

As you said this isn't really about playing the games I had when I was younger, more about getting the games I couldn't get until now. I would have been a good gamer, but only from PS1 era onwards where I had the money to look into this stuff.
    I also just fancy the idea of having my lil gaming area with shelves and shelves of consoles so I don't mind waiting a lil while to get them modded, i'm happy enough just to start collecting now :)

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,000 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

If you can, get a Neo Geo AES. Absolutely amazing system. Best arcade at home experience ever.

Only down side to them is the insane price of some AES carts. So what I did myself was buy an adapter which lets you use the arcade carts on your home system.

Although, the down side to that is the adapter is expensive. So another thing you can do instead is to buy the arcade board, this little device called a supergun and then you can connect it up to your tv and just collect arcade carts.

Screw all of the above, just get an arcade cabinet. :D

While you're at it, also buy a Sega Nomad a Vectrex and a Virtual Boy. :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Commodore 64?do you want to go back that far?

o1s1n wrote: »
    If you can, get a Neo Geo AES. Absolutely amazing system. Best arcade at home experience ever.

Only down side to them is the insane price of some AES carts. So what I did myself was buy an adapter which lets you use the arcade carts on your home system.

Although, the down side to that is the adapter is expensive. So another thing you can do instead is to buy the arcade board, this little device called a supergun and then you can connect it up to your tv and just collect arcade carts.

Screw all of the above, just get an arcade cabinet. :D

While you're at it, also buy a Sega Nomad a Vectrex and a Virtual Boy. :)

I actually would love an arcade cabinet and my gf was looking them up for me on the sly at one stage for my birthday but she said the street fighter one she was looking at was around 2 grand! :eek:

Just goes to show how young I am, I've never heard of the Nomad...and I've never even seen a Vectrex :o

Def need to get one of those at some stage. my dad spent his wedding night playing the C64 :D so proud!

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

RedXIV wrote: »
    I actually would love an arcade cabinet and my gf was looking them up for me on the sly at one stage for my birthday but she said the street fighter one she was looking at was around 2 grand! :eek:

Just goes to show how young I am, I've never heard of the Nomad...and I've never even seen a Vectrex :o

The problem with arcade cabs is that unless you spend bloody ages researching, you're liable to get ripped off. Really, a woody JAMMA cabinet shouldn't cost you more than a few hundred euro. Maybe if it's in super condition/a dedicated one with a new/refurbished monitor and lovely new control panel then €500+....but you definitely wouldn't be buying junk at that price.

My original woody cabinet with a 28 inch monitor was only €120 on ebay.

The Nomad is the most uber coolest handheld of all time (once you replace the screen with a modern LCD and build a new rechargable battery for it). You just plug Megadrive carts into it and away you go.

The thing about the Vectrex is you can't appreciate it until you see it in person. It has a vector monitor. Absolutely completely unique picture you wont get anywhere else.

We went through a phase of buying them over in the Arcade and Retro forum. :D It was pretty feckin hilarious. Seemed like every day another person managed to source a Vectrex.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Atari Lynx?

Master of the Universe

penev10 wrote: »
    Atari Lynx?

Sure might as well throw in the Atari Jaguar while you're at it :pac:

Worst.Controller.Ever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,442 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

o1s1n wrote: »
    The thing about the Vectrex is you can't appreciate it until you see it in person. It has a vector monitor. Absolutely completely unique picture you wont get anywhere else.

We went through a phase of buying them over in the Arcade and Retro forum. :D It was pretty feckin hilarious. Seemed like every day another person managed to source a Vectrex.

The funny thing is nobody realy cared about the machine until there was a retro meet up and someone brought one along. Seeing that vector monitor in the flesh is something else, it really is a thing of beauty. After that night nearly everyone was trying to pick one up. I didn't, but when I get a job I am!

Master of the Universe

The funny thing is nobody realy cared about the machine until there was a retro meet up and someone brought one along. Seeing that vector monitor in the flesh is something else, it really is a thing of beauty. After that night nearly everyone was trying to pick one up. I didn't, but when I get a job I am!

Ciderman brought his along with a Virtual Boy. Everyone was excited to see the VB and the Veccy was ignored. I turned it on not expecting too much and it melted my eyes and brain. The VB was excellent, but the Veccy is something else.

Within a month myself, Enternow and Andrew76 had all somehow managed to get one :D

We never did have Vecfest! That still has to be done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Wow nice collection, I don't envy your wallet picking up some of the games though :eek:

If I had a snes and a ps2 and all of my long since gone games I would be in heaven. I know, I know some will say there were better games on this and that you need to have but those 2 for me personally hold many a fond memory :)

So many consoles to acquire :)

Have managed to source an Xbox (thanks to a boardsie) and a GameCube (from a friend emigrating).

Need to take it easy for a while now or herself will kill me for the money being spend (5 consoles in 3 weeks is pushing it a bit :) )

Gives me time to research arcade cabs though!

And think I'll have to head to a retro beers to get a look at a Vectrex :cool:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,451 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Dam you red I want to start a console collection now :)

Dam you red I want to start a console collection now :)

there's a gamecube on adverts for 30 quid to get you started :) in the box and all :)http://www.adverts.ie/591294

It is pretty addictive. The worst part though is learning to control the spending :) And now I need to find somewhere to put them all :) Would love something like this:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11391&g2_serialNumber=2

It's a sickness... but a fun one.

• Advertisement

there's a gamecube on adverts for 30 quid to get you started :) in the box and all :)http://www.adverts.ie/591294

It is pretty addictive. The worst part though is learning to control the spending :) And now I need to find somewhere to put them all :) Would love something like this:

main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=11391&g2_serialNumber=2

Thats some collection :)

I already have a gamecube,nintendo 64,ps2 x2 minus the leads though,ps2 slim,xbox,xbox360,ps1,ps3,master system,game gear,gameboy,mega drive,the problem is alot them are missing there leads :-/.

Thats some collection :)

I already have a gamecube,nintendo 64,ps2 x2 minus the leads though,ps2 slim,xbox,xbox360,ps1,ps3,master system,game gear,gameboy,mega drive,the problem is alot them are missing there leads :-/.

You're WAY ahead of me so :) the only thing now is I'm trying to take on board what Retro said about modded consoles and imported versions.

I've been itching to get my hands on an N64 but would prefer to get a "proper" one instead of the slower PAL's now.

Can't you get leads online for most of them?

You're WAY ahead of me so :) the only thing now is I'm trying to take on board what Retro said about modded consoles and imported versions.

I've been itching to get my hands on an N64 but would prefer to get a "proper" one instead of the slower PAL's now.

Ya I'll try ebay,are those modded versions more expensive?

Got my one in Rage in town for 20 for an american NTSC model.

Got my one in Rage in town for 20 for an american NTSC model.

Did they have any more?

Is the N64 region free then?

@Sephiroth_dude

No idea, I'm still learning :)

N64 definitely isn't region free. You'll need an NTSC one for american games. There's adapters but I'm not sure they are good and probably slow the game down to PAL speeds as well. You should ask if they have anymore, not sure myself.

If I have an american one and put in a PAL game, what will happen then?

If I have an american one and put in a PAL game, what will happen then?

You'll create a time space anomaly that will consume the solar system.

More likely to happen is the game won't work. There's also the problem that the cartridges are slightly different shapes so won't fit in anyway. You are better off getting an NTSC machine and collecting american games really or getting both a PAL and NTSC machines and getting the well converted games for the PAL system to save a bit of money.

You'll create a time space anomaly that will consume the solar system.

More likely to happen is the game won't work. There's also the problem that the cartridges are slightly different shapes so won't fit in anyway. You are better off getting an NTSC machine and collecting american games really or getting both a PAL and NTSC machines and getting the well converted games for the PAL system to save a bit of money.

I suppose I could get two :D

I could live with that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭Remouad

I remember getting my C64 new.:D

If you're thinking that old school what about Amiga 500 or a zx spectrum

If you want a proper gaming collection, you'll have to get an Atari 2600!:)

Advertisement