Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Eireann

Options
  • 09-05-2011 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭

I thought I would try out the new express service from Dublin to Derry at the weekend, even though I knew there was no way they could make the journey in the published time of 2hrs 50mins, so I buy my return ticket as usual €27 but when I get to the bus the driver demands another €8 of everyone because it's an express service. Yet there is no advice of this extra payment anywhere at the Busaras or on their website. You only find about it as you get on the bus.

Despite no traffic jams or obvious delays, the bus was still 40 minutes later arriving in Derry than the published time.

What a con!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Tazz T wrote: »
    I thought I would try out the new express service from Dublin to Derry at the weekend, even though I knew there was no way they could make the journey in the published time of 2hrs 50mins, so I buy my return ticket as usual €27 but when I get to the bus the driver demands another €8 of everyone because it's an express service. Yet there is no advice of this extra payment anywhere at the Busaras or on their website. You only find about it as you get on the bus.

Despite no traffic jams or obvious delays, the bus was still 40 minutes later arriving in Derry than the published time.

What a con!
    sounds more like the driver pocketing the €8 as once you have bought your ticket for the route you should be able to travel once seats are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,682 ✭✭✭Trampas

what price is printed on ticket

Are they going to start charging extra for the x20 and x51 also?

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The shiny ad on their website says that premium fares will apply.

Yet another false accusation from foggy_lad bites the dust.

I have since had more information about this service from bus Eireann at (01)8366111, the X33 is operated exclusively by Bernard kavanagh who has been allowed operate from Busáras and will accept bus Eireann tickets for this new non-bus eireann express service but only on payment of a surcharge of €5(according to bus eireann) each way. The normal bus Eireann fare for adults is €20 single and €27 monthly return

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭jett

If that ain't a rip off i'm a Monkeys uncle.

jett wrote: »
    If that ain't a rip off i'm a Monkeys uncle.
    it also appears that some people were charged an €8 surcharge for the journey when they were only supposed to pay €5 each way but because they had a return bus eireann ticket they were charged €8 even if they did not return on an express bus.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056197682

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

And after all the confusion with the X33 last year, it's back on the timetable. I was under the impression it was withdrawn because of complaints.

But there is still no official statement on how much the 'premium fare' is.

Bus Eireann is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Worked with BE about 10 years ago , chap gets on in Dublin with ticket to Oranmore in Galway. At the time BE were doing a promotion of say €16 DUB - GWY, and the fare from Galway to Oranmore was probably €4 - but because he asked for a Dublin to Oranmore ticket he was charged €32 because the system isn't programmed to give the cheapest fare on the day ( Iarnród Eireann are similar, one way Dublin to Limerick €50, return €55 ) :eek::eek:
    ( ALL prices mentioned here are appox. I didn't check the exact current prices because I'm talking about previous years examples )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Okocim

After a 5 hour bus journey to Cork (timetable says journey time is 4 hours 20 minutes) I will never use Bus Eireann again. The driver decided to take a couple of mid journey smoke breaks, left Bus Aras seven minutes later than scheduled departure time, another five minutes to get out of the station itself due to bus congestion trying to get out the gate, a fifteen minute comfort stop at Urlingford lasting 20 minutes so the driver could finish his smoke and conversation with another driver.

On the return journey there was not enough room on the bus for all the passengers who were there to travel back to Dublin...so the inspector had to ask people if they minded getting off the bus and waiting 20 minutes for a relief bus....again by the time this was all sorted out the bus was 15 minutes late leaving the bus station in Cork.

A total joke...what I saved in fare by taking the bus instead of the train i lost in incredulity at the sheer incompetence of Bus Eireann.

I see they are advertising now ''take the bus and you'll fly with free wifi''...:eek::eek::eek: get a grip lads and sort out the basics before trying to dazzle with the fancy marketing slogans and posters.

Train from now on for me...............

• Advertisement

Try Aircoach next time for a proper expressway journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

@Okocim I feel your pain but don't you know Bus Eireann is there for the employee and not the customer. The unions have it so sewn up the drivers can enjoy their smoke breaks and chats and give the customer a two finger salute as their job is safe.

As foggy_lad says, go with Aircoach next time, the fact that they are a private company will mean they actually have to work for their money and respect the customer. Bus Eireann are bank rolled by the State (ie, you and me) so they don't need to give a damn about such things as efficiency and customer service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Okocim

Well said @ run_Forrest_run

Advertisement