Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do you do with your brass "Spent Bullet Casing"

Options
  • 09-05-2011 2:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Hey all just wonding what people here do with there Spent Bullet Casing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

When there is any (which there hasn't been in a while), it goes into a disposal bucket on the range, later to be sold off for scrap metal.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭Longranger

Whitehawk wrote: »
    Hey all just wonding what people here do with there Spent Bullet Casing?

If you do a bit of fishing fill with molten lead,drill through the neck,put in a small split ring or wire loop,they make great weights for worming!
    If you can't reload them ,do something useful with them...;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Give them to a mate in NI who reloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭leupold90

Anyone ever sell their shells for scrap?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

Give them to a mate in NI who reloads.

On that note I'm on the lookout for .223 and .270 brass. Obviously there's a drink in it... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

most of the brass that im looking in to getting rid of is .22 stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

Saving them with the hope of being to reload in the future

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Legal bit
    • You must have a current and valid firearms license for every caliber of brass you possess.
    • The amount of brass you have included with the amount of live ammo you have cannot exceed the limit of your license.
    • When cashing in on the brass with a scrap yard, etc the yard must have authorisation/licenses to accept the brass.
    Remember that brass is a componant part of a round and therefore is still classified as a round.

Me bit
    • .22lr ammo is useless for reloading. According to every known expert reloading .22 ammo is not worth the hassle as ammo of equal quality can be bought from manufacturers, such as Eley, Lapua, etc, at the same if not cheaper price than reloading them.
    • That aside reloading .22 ammo is more difficult as there is no primer to be inserted. The cases come pre-primed.
    • The pice for brass is not enough to retire on. At approx. €4 per kg you would need a hell of alot of brass to make even enough to buy some more ammo.

Your best option is to visit a local range and give, dispose of your brass there. All ranges have collection bins for their members to dump their brass when they are finished firing. Safest, most legal method.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

cheers Ezridax think ill just dump it then in gun range

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

Glensman wrote: »
    On that note I'm on the lookout for .223 and .270 brass. Obviously there's a drink in it... :D

i have some .223 stuff that i have bin keeping in the hope that it might become legal to relode, but i am selling my .223 now so you are welcome to it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭kenneths

what do people do with spent shotgun shells if they don't go to a range??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Mine go in a ditch or bin when i get home, depending how fast i have to reload

ormondprop wrote: »
    Mine go in a ditch or bin when i get home, depending how fast i have to reload

In the bin at home please!!! One thing I can't stand is finding rusty cartridges all over the place. It's another reason for people to bitch about hunters...

poulo6.5 wrote: »
    i have some .223 stuff that i have bin keeping in the hope that it might become legal to relode, but i am selling my .223 now so you are welcome to it

Good man Paulo!
    Keep a hold of them for me and I'll hopefully get them off you in the near future... If you happen to be up with Ferghal White you might leave them in with him. I have to go see him soon about getting custom scope mounts made for the Howa :(

Glensman wrote: »
    Good man Paulo!
    Keep a hold of them for me and I'll hopefully get them off you in the near future... If you happen to be up with Ferghal White you might leave them in with him. I have to go see him soon about getting custom scope mounts made for the Howa :(

i will be up with ferghal in the next week or 2 and i will leave them with him for you

i only kept the good stuff mostly hornady match

i will be up with ferghal in the next week or 2 and i will leave them with him for you

i only kept the good stuff mostly hornady match

Well as I say, there's be a drink in it for you!

(Keep Everything)!

I am going to start re-loading .223 and .270 in the near future and I have a friend re-loading .243.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭kenneths

Longranger wrote: »
    In the bin at home please!!! One thing I can't stand is finding rusty cartridges all over the place. It's another reason for people to bitch about hunters...

i've been putting them in the bin aswell.
    phew... feel a bit better now that my binman has probably seen it before now :D

i usually pick up the shells that i find in the field too, dumping them in a field is the exact same as the eejits that throw rubbish out of cars!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

Ya but if your out in a field full of rabbits with the 22 in long grass your going to be reloading as fast as you can and your not going to find your used brass

I might have some 223 brass for you aswell that i can leave in with fergal when i get it threaded

Ya but if your out in a field full of rabbits with the 22 in long grass your going to be reloading as fast as you can and your not going to find your used brass

I might have some 223 brass for you aswell that i can leave in with fergal when i get it threaded

Good man! Thanks very much...

I think I'm going to order the RCBS RockChucker Supreme Master Blah Blah Blah kit in the next couple of weeks. A friend of mine shoots .223 and my brother is going to start .223. I'm on .270 so we're going to split the cost of the press etc.

I doubt Very much if reloading is going to save me any money at all... I'll just end up shooting way more!

I'm with you on the .22 casings,it was shotgun shells I was on about:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

Give it to the woman as a present?
    20304_sm.jpg

Nothing says I love you like once fired ear-rings!:)

Anniversary Casings Guide
    1st Anniversary - 22lr
    2nd Anniversary - 380
    5th Anniversary - 9mm
    10th Anniversary - 223
    15th Anniversary - 243
    20th Anniversary - 270
    25th Anniversary - 30-06
    50th Anniversary - 50 cal!

FISMA wrote: »
    20304_sm.jpg

1st Anniversary - 22lr
    2nd Anniversary - 380
    5th Anniversary - 9mm
    10th Anniversary - 223
    15th Anniversary - 243
    20th Anniversary - 270
    25th Anniversary - 30-06

what do you use for 75th? 40mm bofors!

FISMA wrote: »
    20304_sm.jpg

1st Anniversary - 22lr
    2nd Anniversary - 380
    5th Anniversary - 9mm
    10th Anniversary - 223
    15th Anniversary - 243
    20th Anniversary - 270
    25th Anniversary - 30-06

she would have some earlobes by the time she gets the 50cal:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

• The pice for brass is not enough to retire on. At approx. €4 per kg you would need a hell of alot of brass to make even enough to buy some more ammo.
    Who quoted you that????The price for copper and brass is climbing..Not as fast as Gold or silver,but it should be certainly more than 4euros a KG!!!
    After all,why would our criminal elements be robbing brass and copper fittings if the stuff was worthless??:)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Who quoted you that....................................,but it should be certainly more than 4euros a KG!!!

Let me stop you there. I am not getting into a debate on the price of copper/brass. It was a rough guess of a price i was quoted 6-8 months ago (€30-ish per stone). Frankly i don't care enough about the price.

I dump my .22 brass, shotgun shells and 9mm brass at the range. I keep my .308 brass so the price for scrap is irrelevant to me.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

how much are you looking for the 223

lee70 wrote: »
    how much are you looking for the 223

Sold mate sorry

Advertisement