Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2011 (UK show)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I actually liked Janets hair on saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

I actually liked Janets hair on saturday!

It was alright, but I just hate when they totally change someone's look to make them more "likeable". Amelia is another one that springs to mind.

It was unnecessary. And I thought the blonde was much nicer on her. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I was waiting for that, they seemed quite overbearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

been catching up with it all week,

sophie is my clear favourite, by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭poppet84

df1985 wrote: »
    been catching up with it all week,

sophie is my clear favourite, by a mile.

Me too..She is amazing!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Grieving Janet Devlin to sing on X Factor just hours after her granddad is laid to rest

X Factor star Janet Devlin will deliver an emotional performance on tomorrow night’s live show — just hours after her beloved grandfather is buried.

The Tyrone teenager has been left devastated after the sudden death of her granddad Michael Devlin on Wednesday, but has opted to compete in this weekend’s programme after speaking with her family.

The shy 16-year-old — who is tipped to win the competition — has said she will dedicate her performance to his memory.

Her brothers and close friends will be in the audience to lend their support.

It is understood Janet was given permission by X Factor bosses to return home for tomorrow’s funeral, but decided to continue because it’s what her grandfather would have wanted.

Speaking to the Belfast Telegraph last night, a source close to the singer said the pair had been very close.

“Naturally Janet is very upset,” she said.

“Janet discussed the situation with her parents and it was decided that she should remain in the competition this weekend and not attend the funeral.

“Her grandfather was so proud of her and loved to listen to her sing. Janet and her family knew that he would want her to perform this weekend.”

The source said Janet has been receiving lots of support from fellow contestants, including over-25s hopeful Sami Brookes.

“All of the contestants have rallied round her — Sami has become a mother figure to Janet recently, and even gave up her bedroom last night so Janet could have a room to herself,” she added.

“Janet will be putting her all into her performance in memory of her grandad. Her brothers and closest friends are coming to the studio to support her — it will be an emotional weekend.”

An X Factor spokesperson said: “We can confirm that Janet’s grandfather has unfortunately passed away, and that the funeral is planned for Saturday.”

It is expected to be a highly-charged night, with a love and heartbreak theme planned for this weekend’s show. The contestants have been asked to show their “vulnerable” side by performing romantic tracks.

Janet, who is from Gortin in Tyrone, has been the bookies’ favourite since she impressed the judges with her rendition of Elton John’s Your Song at the auditions, and has been compared to singer/songwriter Ellie Goulding.

She sailed through the first live show last weekend with Coldplay's track Fix You. Judge Louis Walsh told her she was “incredible”.

“You've got Celtic soul, you're the voice of an angel,” he said.

Fellow judge Tulisa told the student she was “mesmerising”, and Gary Barlow agreed, telling her she was “totally unique”.
    http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/tv-radio/grieving-janet-devlin-to-sing-on-x-factor-just-hours-after-her-granddad-is-laid-to-rest-2906434.html

Sad news. I wish her well on the night and she and the family has the sympathy of all here.

You can be proud of your grand-daughter. RIP Michael Devlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,956 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I hate that the cynic inside me thinks that the X-Factor team are probably rubbing their hands with glee at the thoughts of such a horrible thing happening to one of their contestants, just because it gives them publicity to milk.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Quazzie wrote: »
    I hate that the cynic inside me thinks that the X-Factor team are probably rubbing their hands with glee at the thoughts of such a horrible thing happening to one of their contestants, just because it gives them publicity to milk.

:o The first thing I thought was "well that's her safe for another few weeks" X Factor has turned me into a monster. A MONSTER!!!!

(RIP grandaddy Devlin)

Can I be really honest?

I think I would have respected her a little more if she had taken this week off.

There's time for family, and then there's time for the X Factor. This is a time for family.

EDIT - Not that I have lost respect for her, per se, I just hate when this stuff happens, particularly because people (including me) straight away start thinking along the lines of above.

Can I be really honest?

I think I would have respected her a little more if she had taken this week off.

There's time for family, and then there's time for the X Factor. This is a time for family.

EDIT - Not that I have lost respect for her, per se, I just hate when this stuff happens, particularly because people (including me) straight away start thinking along the lines of above.

I agree. It's very sad that she's singing on X Factor rather than saying goodbye to her grandfather.

Ugh I'm dreading the tears already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,516 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can I be really honest?

I agree she should have took the week off imo

I agree. It's very sad that she's singing on X Factor rather than saying goodbye to her grandfather.

I do remember the same thing happened with Paige last year, I think his granddad died during the week, I think the first time we found out was on the VT before his performance.

I can't stand when the producers cheapen and whore someone's personal life. And since Janet is the most publicised contestant, they would have done the same thing whether she was on tomorrow or not. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

thats my predictions knackered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I agree.

But at the same time, I know if it were me in the X Factor and it were my grandfather who was dying, he would have wanted me to go through with it. So it depends on the situation.

As awful as this sounds, I just hope they really don't milk it on Saturday's show. People should be judged on their singing, not on the 'sob stories' they have.

All the best to Janet though and RIP to her grandfather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I agree she should have took the week off imo
    I think not going to a grandparent's funeral is something I'd regret forever.

I feel sorry for her, but yeah, the tears will be awful :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Heckler

Simon Cowell couldn't have written it better.

The closeups, the tears, the rallying round, the quiet music building to a crescendo. (I predict Leona Lewis singing that ****ty snow patrol song).Puke.

Familys family. She should go to the funeral and xfactor bedamned.

Hate her affected voice as well. Makes me kick my cat whenever i hear it. I really think i must be hearing something different to everyone else. I'd rather listen to my granny slurp soup for the day than listen to her sing.

Heckler wrote: »
    Simon Cowell couldn't have written it better.

The closeups, the tears, the rallying round, the quiet music building to a crescendo. (I predict Leona Lewis singing that ****ty snow patrol song).Puke.

Familys family. She should go to the funeral and xfactor bedamned.

Hate her affected voice as well. Makes me kick my cat whenever i hear it. I really think i must be hearing something different to everyone else. I'd rather listen to my granny slurp soup for the day than listen to her sing.

the ould soup slurp song, it only got to num 5 in the charts but it is a classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

I can't believe she's not going to the funeral. I'm sure every family and situation is different but I would regret not being there regardless of the circumstances.

Can't wait to see Kelly and Tulisa bawling their eyes out, Louis quietly brushing away tears and Gary looking solemn, while praising her on inner strength, the fact that her grandfather is very proud of her, and that they could "hear it in her voice" that she was singing for him :rolleyes:

It is a sad situation though after all my cynicism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭jubella

I know everyone's different, but a funeral isn't the only way to say goodbye to a loved one. I'm sure she'll grieve and say goodbye in her own way, but the X Factor is the biggest opportunity of her life, and I would bet that her family completely supports her decision. So why does anyone else care if she goes or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Interesting
    Kelly Rowland has showed exactly who the boss is after getting tough with her star act.
    The former Destiny's Child singer is allegedly threatening to kick Misha B out of the singing competition after the singer slated a number of the production staff.
    According to reports Misha B has been berating X Factor workers and vocal coach Anne-Marie Speed.
    The 19-year-old has apparently been acting arrogant since becoming a show favourite last week and Kelly has had to put her back in her place.
    A source told The Sun: 'Misha is out of control and Kelly just snapped. She told her that unless she packs it in, she'll be sent packing herself.'
    Crew on X Factor have reportedly nicknamed Misha B 'the diva from hell' and claim that the young singer and rapper has told people that she has 'already won' the show'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2049422/X-Factor-2011-Kelly-Rowland-threatens-boot-diva-Misha-Bryan.html#ixzz1aqoGerqm

• Advertisement

lizt wrote: »
    Interesting

I think Amelia will go this week, the only reason she stayed in was to do the charity song.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I think Amelia will go this week, the only reason she stayed in was to do the charity song.

:confused: Amelia is gone?

Everyone gets to do the charity single, it doesn't matter if they are the first out or not, all 16 acts will be on the song.

Well Amelia left last week so...

:confused: Amelia is gone?

Everyone gets to do the charity single, it doesn't matter if they are the first out or not, all 16 acts will be on the song.

of course stupid me, I was singing lets do the timewarp again when I posted that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Interesting

You could see that coming.

Simon has no time for diva's.
    She won't win.
    jubella wrote: »
    I know everyone's different, but a funeral isn't the only way to say goodbye to a loved one. I'm sure she'll grieve and say goodbye in her own way, but the X Factor is the biggest opportunity of her life, and I would bet that her family completely supports her decision. So why does anyone else care if she goes or not?

I have four kids. If I past away tomorrow while they were in the middle of an opportunity of a total lifetime, I would tell them if I could "stuff my funeral and go and (1) make me proud (2) let nothing hold you back and (3) take every rare opportunity when ya can - your only on this merry-go-round of a planet once!"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I was always very close to my grandparents, moreso than my parents, and I think if I was in a competition like X Factor and one of them passed away during it, I would stay and perform, like Janet. I guess it's easy to say, "That's what he/she would've wanted" but I really do believe that. I don't think I'd regret missing the funeral either, 'cause I'd know that I had stood up in front of millions and dedicated a song to his/her memory, put my heart and soul into it and made him/her so proud.

I think this will be a case of, "I like Janet, I think what she is doing is great" versus, "I hate Janet, omg, this is disgraceful". I do like Janet, but if it was any other contestant who had to make this choice, I would respect them for it too. Can't be easy.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,323 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

:( poor oul pet. rip to the guy

Novella wrote: »

I think this will be a case of, "I like Janet, I think what she is doing is great" versus, "I hate Janet, omg, this is disgraceful". I do like Janet, but if it was any other contestant who had to make this choice, I would respect them for it too. Can't be easy.

RIP.

I don't hate Janet. I'm not a fan, but I don't hate her. I respecther decision, albeit weird as it us, but I just hate that this family tragedy is going to be used tothe producers' advantage. And Kelly's. I won't say Havens because that's not fair.

It's not Janet I've lost respect for, it's the show. Using such a sensitive, tragic event, a decision that probably nearly killed the girl, to fill newspaper columns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Wolflikeme

Interesting

Tw@t. Hope she gets kicked out. Or sent home tomorrow.

She's been Wolflikeme's enemy no. 2 (after Lame ass vampires who sparkle in the daylight) since 'that look' last Sunday night.

• Advertisement

I'm sorry to read stories like that about Misha. I hope it's not true but stories like that have to have some basis. I think she's an absolutely amazing singer but, as I predicted, the public aren't warming to her. She's very confident, which I think isn't a bad thing, but it's just coming across as utter cockiness.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement