Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2011 (UK show)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭egan2020

Was just having a look on the DS forums. According to this video (that we can't see in Ireland), Kitty is going to be performing Live and Let Die while playing piano. If she does it well it will be absolutely amazing. It'll take a lot for her to beat Ben's performance in the third series though...one of the best every X Factor performances IMO

You're right it will be amazing if she pulls it off. Have to admit I'm kinda warming to her. I didn't take to Katie Weasel last and thought she had a bit of a nasty streak as well as being full of herself but Kitty comes across as being perhaps a little mentally unstable which is a whole different thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

egan2020 wrote: »
    You're right it will be amazing if she pulls it off. Have to admit I'm kinda warming to her. I didn't take to Katie Weasel last and thought she had a bit of a nasty streak as well as being full of herself but Kitty comes across as being perhaps a little mentally unstable which is a whole different thing.

Yeah at first I decided last week to start supporting her just cos I was so bored with most of the rest of them, and I picked a good week to start supporting her! I'm also warming to her though, I just read this blog about her and it has some really good points:
    Kitty Brucknell: Five reasons why she should win 'The X Factor'

When Simon Cowell used to wheel out his "Marmite" analogy on The X Factor, it usually made us wince. "People will either love you or hate you," he'd smirk, while rocking back in his chair. Typically this means he's talking about some snivelling brat who makes your skin crawl whenever they so much as come within a metre of a microphone. Usually a Marmite act is just another way of describing a bloody awful one.

However, Reality Bites has had to eat its own words (and some yeast extract) this year. The act that Cowell would no doubt be eulogising over if he wasn't busy with crying children in the US, would be Kitty Brucknell. She's 26, a telly addict, a wannabe, a diva, a limelight-hogger, a fame-hungry monster and as daft as a brush. There isn't anything she wouldn't do, sell, clean, pawn, borrow or beg for to get her shot at stardom.

But despite all this, we love her. Here's why....

1. We don't want another Matt Cardle
    Shane, Leona, Leon, Alexandra, Joe, Matt, even Steve bloody Brookstein, were all worthy X Factor winners. By worthy of course, we mean they could hold a tune, cut a decent jib when they wore a suit or had their hair done nice, and above all else they were very, very, very nice.

But since when did nice sell records? When did we start wanting earnest popstars? Even the most successful X Factor winners - Leona, Alexandra - have suffered drops in record sales of late. Why? Because they are a little bit bland and without a TV show shoving them down people's throats every Saturday night, a little bit forgettable.

Matt Cardle stumbled into the Top 10 last weekend and will be hoping his mum and dad didn't throw out his painting overalls. Would the same happen to Kitty after 12 months in the studio? We doubt it. One thing's for sure - she wouldn't spend her entire promo campaign barking on about "credibility" and "writing my own songs".

2. Her honesty
    Everyone on The X Factor wants to be famous. If you just wanted to sing for a living, there are far easier ways of going about it than entering the biggest singing competition in the world. They may not look like popstars, they may say they don't want to be a popstar, but deep, deep down they crave and hunger for cameras, lights, action.

Kitty isn't afraid to admit that. She isn't afraid of speaking to the press. She's not scared of saying the wrong thing and she's not bothered about upsetting anyone on the way to the top. Do you think Madonna, Lady GaGa and Beyoncé worried about upsetting people or knocking a few noses out of joint? Of course they didn't. Save the humble, 'I'm so grateful for everything' speech for the Butlins tour that you'll inevitably be doing if you spend your music career playing by the rules.

All great popstars should have a little diva in them. And if there's a big bit of diva... well, all the better.

3. Her stage shows
    A Mad Hatter's Tea Party! A glow-in-the-dark leotard! And we're only on week two of the Live Shows. We've already been promised pythons and lions if we keep her in as well.

If by the end of the series Kitty hasn't been lowered down on to the stage in a Bird Bird costume - while Louis Walsh, Eoghan Quigg and Wagner fire glitter guns at her - as she opens up the show with a Britney Spears medley, we'll be gutted.

Of course, you could just have Craig Colton and Sophie Habibis belting out ballads. Your call.

4. She actually can sing
    A lot of people have compared Kitty Brucknell to last year's X Factor headline grabber Katie Waissel. We had a soft spot for The Waissel, but the problem with Katie was that behind the "oh sod it" antics and backstage dramas, she just wasn't that good at singing.

The same can't be said for Kitty. Her first two performances in the Live Shows have proved that she's not a mere novelty. Regardless of personalities or personal preferences, she can pull off a big song and in the words of Louis Walsh "own that stage".

She probably wouldn't win in a diva-off with a Misha B or Marcus, but let's be honest, how many times is an X Factor act ever going to need to sing live anyway? Hardly worth polishing up those vocal chords for a dubbed performance at T4 On The Beach, is it?

5. Louis Walsh
    After years of ridicule from Simon Cowell, ridiculously unfair categories (he's only once been given the under 25s) and dozens of glorious TV moments ("You're... the... next.... big... boyband!", "You're like a little Lenny Henry") Louis Walsh deserves his moment in the sun. If he can turn Jedward into millionaires, then surely he can smooth off the edges and turn Kitty into a popstar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

You're all talking about how Frankie's teenage girl fanbase will wake up this week and vote for him...But does he actually have a fanbase, and we're all just assuming he does? I suppose I'm a crap excuse for a teenage girl seeing as I don't go crazy and spend all my credit for half-decent looking boys who may or may not be able to hold a tune...but my friends all hate Frankie too...? And loads of them were part of the 1D Brigade last year. I really think that he actually has no, or at least a very small, fanbase. I even went on Twitter just there and apart from this:

Louis_Tomlinson Louis Tomlinson
    Please pick up your phones and vote for my boy Frankie, I have a feeling you haven't seen the best of him yet!
    16 Oct
    Retweeted 100+ times

Opinions seem to be fairly split - from silly girls saying 'FRANKIE GET IN MY BED' and other more sensible girls suggesting that even looking at him can cause AIDS.

I still reckon he'll stay this week, just my views on the matter of his fans. Can't believe I used to not abhor him...

In case anyone is interested, the list of tonight's songs are on the xfactor site. I've never used spoiler tags and I'm afraid I'll mess it up if I try.

I kind of guessed that Janet would be doing the song she is. Another girl did it for rock week last year or the year before. It's originally a rock song but this version isn't.

Song list:
    Marcus Collins – Are You Gonna Go My Way
    The Risk – Crazy
    Frankie Cocozza – Get Your Rocks Off
    Johnny Robinson – I Believe In A Thing Called Love
    Kitty Brucknell – Live And Let Die
    Sophie Habibis – Living On A Prayer
    Misha B – Purple Rain
    Craig Colton – Stop Crying Your Heart Out
    Janet Devlin – Sweet Child Of Mine
    Rhythmix – Tik Tok into Push It
    Sami Brookes – Turn Back Time

Marcus...not sure how he'll handle that, think it's a bad song choice for him for the 3rd week in a row.

Rhythmix's couldn't be further from rock :confused:

Sophie's will be a bit boring again.

Most looking forward to Kitty, Misha B and The Risk, great songs.

• Advertisement

Agree with what ibarelycare says. Also, it's no surprise that Frankie's song choice isn't the most vocally challenging of songs :rolleyes:

What exactly are Rhythmix singing. Is is two songs merged together?

Marcus could be in trouble tonight.

Rhythmix's song looks like it's
    Tik Tok by Ke$ha and Push It by Salt n Pepa...a pop song and an r'n'b song?!!

I'm not 100% sure of Sami's song. Is it the one by
    Aqua????
    Or is there a rock song of that name that I haven't heard of?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭misslt

Rhythmix's song looks like it's
    Tik Tok by Ke$ha and Push It by Salt n Pepa...a pop song and an r'n'b song?!!

Aqua????

It could be the Cher one..

Should be interesting if its nothing else...I wonder what Johnny will make of
    I Believe in a Thing Called Love
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Song list:
    Marcus Collins – Are You Gonna Go My Way
    The Risk – Crazy
    Frankie Cocozza – Get Your Rocks Off
    Johnny Robinson – I Believe In A Thing Called Love
    Kitty Brucknell – Live And Let Die
    Sophie Habibis – Living On A Prayer
    Misha B – Purple Rain
    Craig Colton – Stop Crying Your Heart Out
    Janet Devlin – Sweet Child Of Mine
    Rhythmix – Tik Tok into Push It
    Sami Brookes – Turn Back Time

Marcus...not sure how he'll handle that, think it's a bad song choice for him for the 3rd week in a row.

Rhythmix's couldn't be further from rock :confused:

Sophie's will be a bit boring again.

Most looking forward to Kitty, Misha B and The Risk, great songs.

Curious what Janet's going to do with hers. Johnny will be brilliant :D, Sami's sing could get her the boot I think :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

Hi all :) not too excited about tonights show but I have nothing better to do so I find myself back here once again! hard to predict how tonight will go, not too fond of most of those songs!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Hey all!!

Here we go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Aqua????
    misslt wrote: »
    It could be the Cher one..

Beat me to it. :pac:
    Jesus wept at Frankie taking on a Primal Scream song.
    Janet will do the inoffensive Sheryl Crow version of Sweet Child.

From the list I'm most looking forward to Kitty, Sami and Marcus.

Evenin! *stupid Tulisa arm salute*

Beat me to it. :pac:
    Jesus wept at Frankie taking on a Primal Scream song.
    Janet will do the inoffensive Sheryl Crow version of Sweet Child.

From the list I'm most looking forward to Kitty, Sami and Marcus.

Cher's one is called
    If I Could Turn Back Time
    though so don't think it's that one.

Oh look, fake drama between the judges. This explains Gary and Louis sniping at each other in the press the past few days, Simon Cowell the puppeteer trying to get more viewers no doubt.

Edit: Apologies for the 3 posts in a row :o

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Here we go.

Also I thought of a way to boost the X factor audience. Stream this thread alongside the show, it's way more entertaining!:D

I hate when they say its rock week then everyone comes out singing Bon Jovi or Aerosmith songs...its basically pop-rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

and we're baccccccccccccccck:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Kellys lovely.

Tulisa looks uncomfortable in that dress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Oh look, fake drama between the judges. This explains Gary and Louis sniping at each other in the press the past few days, Simon Cowell the puppeteer trying to get more viewers no doubt.

Edit: Apologies for the 3 posts in a row :o

Completely new way for x-factor to get in the papers, they never do stuff like that :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sob... Can only stay for a while - have to go out! Don't want to. Want to stay in and take the pee out of all the schite they are going to come out with!

dee. wrote: »
    I hate when they say its rock week then everyone comes out singing Bon Jovi or Aerosmith songs...its basically pop-rock.

It's what would appeal to the X factor audience most

Kelly looks sexy!

Tulisa looks well too but she can't really walk in that dress!

Marcus first??? Ah feck :(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

Dermo couldn't even wait for the doors the open :pac:

Oh god. Tulisa is wearing a bin liner. Marcus gets the death slot :(

Oh Marcus is in the death spot. Bye bye.

lizt wrote: »
    It's what would appeal to the X factor audience most

I know that, but it seems silly to call it rock when the bands/songs chosen are more of the pop genre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

So, who do you think is gonna struggle with rock week?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Marcus gets the graveyard slot...and it's rock week...please let this be fantastic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement