Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

X Factor 2011 (UK show)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Which one was Perrie Edwards? :confused: Was she on Sat or Sun?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Which one was Perrie Edwards? :confused: Was she on Sat or Sun?

Saturday. Here's the clip:

Even after watching that clip I don't even remember her!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,580 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

They spent 7 minutes on her, meanwhile Perrie Edwards got a mere ~40 seconds.... and 90% of that time literally was judge controversy nonsense. I still can't believe they only let her sing half a line of the song.

But it was her decision to come on. I don't think it's exploitation of her. I don't think it's rehearsed or scripted, but it is openly cheese and nonsense.

They audition first for producers and if they deem them "talented or entertaining i.e. awful singers" then they audition for the judges

I'd say the old lady was contacted by X Factor and offered the chance to audition again this year

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    They audition first for producers and if they deem them "talented or entertaining i.e. awful singers" then they audition for the judges

I'd say the old lady was contacted by X Factor and offered the chance to audition again this year

It's exploration. I don't know anyone who found Ceri's audition entertaining, she is obviously mentally ill. It was uncomfortable to watch the judges snigger away and sickening to know the producers probably set the whole thing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

That's quite the cynical outlook you have there. I doubt it highly if that was the case. They know they would get into some big trouble should they be found to have done that.
    lizt wrote: »
    It's exploration. I don't know anyone who found Ceri's audition entertaining, she is obviously mentally ill. It was uncomfortable to watch the judges snigger away and sickening to know the producers probably set the whole thing up.

I hate it when they spend ages on an act that is definitely going nowhere. It fun and all to see people get up on stage and fall flat on their face (for the most part) but spending so much time on it, is a bit ridiculous. The show is about singing, and they really should be showing more eople who actually can sing.

That's quite the cynical outlook you have there. I doubt it highly if that was the case. They know they would get into some big trouble should they be found to have done that.

I hate it when they spend ages on an act that is definitely going nowhere. It fun and all to see people get up on stage and fall flat on their face (for the most part) but spending so much time on it, is a bit ridiculous. The show is about singing, and they really should be showing more eople who actually can sing.

Cowell would do anything

Cowell would do anything
    true

Haven't really been watching the auditions this year, the format is so repetitive this week

- Sob story about how they never had time to pursue their dream and this is there last chance / had a rough past but feels that this is their time / family member wants them to do it etc.
    They get a yes

- Then a montage of "And blah blah wasn't the only one who impressed the judges" where we see fairly decent singers getting a yes but obviously they don't make it to judges houses.

- Then they have some deluded person "I will be bigger than Whitney Houston"/ I've been getting singing lessons/ my family tells me I'm a great singer.
    Cue shots of the judges laughing and rolling their eyes, you will never make it etc.

- Lots of shots of bad singers, judges saying it's a nightmare day

- And finally someone comes along who blows the judges away "This person has the potential to win, she/he doesn't know how good he/she is"

God forbid they might actually show someone with a sob story who doesn't get through.

I love how one judge always knows the exact first question to ask a contestant so they can start their sob story :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

TBF, they've cut down on the sob stories in a HUGE way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,264 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Did she get through?

Prepare for some big trouble. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2039926/The-X-Factor-2011-Ceri-Rees-singing-tutor-Amanda-Roberts-says-widow-pursued-bosses-TV-show.html
    As 11 million viewers were entertained in front of their television set while scoffing a Saturday night takeaway, Ceri Rees was bribed to ensure her own ridicule.
    Singing tutor Amanda Roberts has claimed the Welsh widow was offered 'free travel and accommodation' by X Factor bosses to star on the show.
    The vocal coach said ITV chiefs 'pursued' Ceri to return for a fourth audition, despite being rejected three times in 2005, 2006 and 2008.

n a bit to protect Ceri, Roberts begged producers not to broadcast the footage, but they dedicated seven minutes of air time to the 54-year-old.
    She said: 'The show just wants someone to ridicule.

'The producers and judges should hang their heads in shame - they are exploiting a vulnerable woman.'

Amanda, who runs a singing school in Swansea, offered Ceri free lessons after witnessing her failed attempt to reach bootcamp three years ago.
    She said: 'When they approached her to go back I rang the producers and told them it wouldn't be good for her.
    'We had a slanging match for half an hour - they spoke to me like mud.'
    A local friend from Bridgend said Ceri had been repeatedly called by the show, 'so in the end she just surrendered and went'.
    Amanda, 40, added: 'It was my duty as a friend to protect Ceri from being humiliated on TV. She doesn't realise she's being set up.'
    She also revealed they had called Ceri when Roberts was on holiday.
    'When I got back and told them she was pulling out, I took a 35-minute verbally abusive phone call from one of the researchers, who said I had spoilt the biggest opportunity of her life.
    ‘I said Ceri wasn’t well enough to take part in the show, but this researcher just asked me: “Are you a doctor?”
    ‘The problem is, she’s very easily taken in by people and enjoys being the centre of attention.
    'She falls in love with all the sunshine and the glory of showbusiness, but the show only wants someone to ridicule.’
    ‘I sat in my living room watching the show and saw that look in her eyes - I recognised immediately that Ceri had a lot of problems and needed caring for.'
    'She was being told Simon Cowell loved her and wanted to see her on the show again.
    'The producers were saying how much the judges missed her. They are preying on a very vulnerable lady and it’s not right.'
    Amanda also revealed Ceri’s mother is 'absolutely distraught', struggling with looking after her husband who is unwell - Ceri's father.
    She added: 'That’s what makes me so angry. The viewers don’t see this, but you have to go through three auditions before you are put in front of X Factor judges - and all the time they’re telling you how marvellous you are.
    'All that time and effort, all those lies, just for a few cheap laughs on the television.
    'But these are real lives they are ruining - and it’s totally wrong.'
    Even several celebrities waged in on the war, taking to Twitter to voice their discomfort.

Lily Allen wrote online: 'Kerry (sic) from Bridgend, they shouldn’t have aired that audition, she’s clearly ill.'
    While Lorraine Kelly said is made for 'uncomfy' viewing and Richard Madeley said they were 'crossing the line'.
    Yesterday, talks were taking place at ITV, Talkback Thames and Syco, which co-produces X Factor, to discuss the incident.
    Mental health charities expressed concerns about the state of affairs yesterday, alluding to the broadcast as 'exploitative'.
    Mark Davies, of Rethink Mental Illness, said: 'While we can’t speculate on the state of Ceri’s mental health, she does appear vulnerable and it was clear she had been set up to fail.
    'If someone appears as helpless as Ceri, to put them in the spotlight is exploitative.'
    An X Factor spokeswoman said Ceri wanted to be judged by the new judging line-up and was happy to appear in front of the camera.

She looks way more than 54 :eek:

I don't like Caroline Flack at all, to me she has no personality. She doesn't even have any argument or piece of information to add, just that they're not so bad.

Remember back a few years ago when this is the worst thing people had to complain about for the show "exploiting" people:

and the so-called "sneaky" behaviour was the pre-tv auditions where they would let people who weren't any good in front of tv. I used to defend singing contests like this back then and was one of the first person who really started watching and getting addicted to them. At least you got to see the people audition and then the judges had their say. Maybe there was an element of being dramatic back then, but it's just a joke now. At least it was some way real back then.

I am also very unsure on whether bringing the crowd for the auditions is a good idea. It becomes more about who will get the crowd going, how the crowd will react, etc. It's more like a theatre now, an interactive one like a children's show.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It is funny looking back on that, the show has taken a turn for the worst really.

Kate Thorton isn't as bad as I though, she was able to do the vox pops allot better than Dermot, and the auditions don't seem as big.

Now the producers feel we need to put everyone's name up 5 or 6 times in big flashy capital letters, with a triumphant voiceover.

Elmo wrote: »
    It is funny looking back on that, the show has taken a turn for the worst really.

Kate Thorton isn't as bad as I though, she was able to do the vox pops allot better than Dermot, and the auditions don't seem as big.

Now the producers feel we need to put everyone's name up 5 or 6 times in big flashy capital letters, with a triumphant voiceover.

Yeah I always liked Kate Thornton. Her voice was amazing for announcing and everything else. I have no idea why they got rid of her. She really seemed to empathize with and care about the contestants.

Gary Barlow is so slimy and disgusting!

Apparently he started rooting through Ceri's bag before her audition, pulled out her passport and said "You won't be needing this!"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Gary is king. I like him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I love how one judge always knows the exact first question to ask a contestant so they can start their sob story :rolleyes:

haha.

'Are you working?'

'yes, I am a binman/carer for my dying mother'.

Or if someone auditioned once years ago, Louis will nearly always remember them and their name!

Maybe he has a really good memory.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Gary Barlow is so slimy and disgusting!

Apparently he started rooting through Ceri's bag before her audition, pulled out her passport and said "You won't be needing this!"
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2040326/X-Factor-2011-Gary-Barlow-accused-going-Ceri-Rees-bag-cut-scenes.html

No 'apparently' about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

I'm sooooooooooo happy its boot camp time!!

Here we go! First saturday since X factor started that I can actually sit down and watch it live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭DancingQueen:)

Finally boot camp time, I much prefer it to the auditions and the crazy live audience!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Here we go! First saturday since X factor started that I can actually sit down and watch it live.

Welcome back!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

she's never seen big buildings, only sheep?! i nearly fell off the chair. :D

• Advertisement

What is with the pink hair??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement