Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best stance

Options
  • 09-05-2011 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hey guys
    I'm a beginner surfer looking for some advice on stance
    Not asking a goofy/regular foot question as I am clear that I am a goofy foot.
    just wondering about how the back and head should be positioned. I know that I need to bend my knees more but I'm just wondering is my back too arched here 225191_10150559266610371_901225370_17961763_5531172_n.jpg
    I find it really hard to bend my knees without also bending my back

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I've seen much worse stances - try keeping your head up and looking where you want the board to go, that will make you shift your weight and cause the board to trun. It looks like the board is stalling and slow down if you get the board truned it will keep moving with the wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭killedsirius

excellent thanks. I guess i get too excited the odd time i get onto the green bit and lose concentration and end up looking at my feet. So head up shall be the next thing i work on, cheers:D

You could alway get a level two lesson from Ben's Surf Clinic http://www.benssurfclinic.com/ in Lahinch or one of the Schools in Sligo

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

You could alway get a level two lesson from Ben's Surf Clinic http://www.benssurfclinic.com/ in Lahinch or one of the Schools in Sligo

+1
    Well recommended.

yeah i did a 2 hour thing with him last year was amazed at improvements. Thinking of doing a week long course to really get kick started on improvements.
    I'm happy out to plug away just been having a debate with my friends with how best to stand. They think my stance is all wrong :)

• Advertisement

Your real problems is that you are looking down and leaning a bit to the back. If you bent your knees your be foreced to straighten your back then looking and even pointing where you want to go would help it shifts your weight.

There are some terrible poo stances out there which is much harder to correct.

Not sure if I'd do a week of lessons now. Couple of days yea then surf for week on your own steam, then next winter see if Ben goes to Morocco again that would do you more good.

excellent thanks. i think a weekend would be class alright. I find him really good as a coach. But I surf with a group of beginners so we all have bad habits etc, and I want to perfect the basics before i try anything harder, and I think good stance is the best foundation so I really appreciate the advice :)

Advertisement