Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stagate Universe (2x20) Gauntlet **SPOILERS**

• 09-05-2011 2:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭

220_header.jpg

This is the end, my only friend the end.......

I'm deva this will probably be the last new SG episode until some hot-shot TV exec greenlights some re-imagining in 10-20 years a lá BSG.

Damn you Syfy

EDIT: Haven't watched it yet, exams ugh, but poll added sorry about that!

How Would You Rate Gauntlet? 86 votes

Stellar!
    0% 0 votes
    Lt. Boobs
    56% 49 votes
    Mckay
    27% 24 votes
    Rushed
    9% 8 votes
    Thank Jaysus its over
    5% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Dammit, I was going to start a thread with that exact same generic tagline :mad:

My poll options would have been better though :p

I can't wait for this episode but at the same time I don't want Stargate to be over.

Edit: Apparently we should watch "Air" again as something in the finale ties back to the beginning, I wonder what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

I would of thought this would be the song people thought of :p

Only a few hours till the end now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

that episode was the biggest load of my gee i have seen in a long time.
    and it was no end to any show!

absolute rubbish..... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭busyliving

I think it was a great episode, because it allows for another production company to take it.

With everyone going into to pods and Eli staying out, they could start a new season when they emerge and they can kill off anyone they wish as well. So if a new company where to take it up they could make a lot of cast changes which could be written into the story line as malfunctioning pods, and for Eli, that he didn't fix the last pod.

It also means that they could even wait a few years and start a new season because the aging could be explained by the 3 years in the pods and not working entirely as predicted.

There is also a third possibility that they make a movie that starts after they emerge from the pods but 1,000 years as past and they have reached the source of the signal.

I think this was the best possible ending for those of us who are still hoping another production company may try and take it up...fingers crossed because I know it’s pretty unlikely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 740 ✭✭✭z0oT

As was expected, a cliffhanger probably never to be resolved. Oh well, time to settle into a new series. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

It's STARGATE!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭crazyderk

Some sites have been talking about 10 final episodes to be aired, havnt been able to find anything definite but its a bit hopeful

Links here

http://stanleydankoski.com/2011/03/07/sgu-stargate-universe-final-10-episodes-syfy/

(awesome action clip on that site)

and here

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Tuesday+Stargate+Universe+floats+into+void/4754158/story.html

(its in the first line or two under the picture)

Edit: been trying to do a bit more googeling on it and some people may be referring to the final 10 episodes as the ten we just watched, so not sure whats going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

crazyderk wrote: »
    Some sites have been talking about 10 final episodes to be aired, havnt been able to find anything definite but its a bit hopeful

Links here

http://stanleydankoski.com/2011/03/07/sgu-stargate-universe-final-10-episodes-syfy/

(awesome action clip on that site)

and here

http://www.montrealgazette.com/Tuesday+Stargate+Universe+floats+into+void/4754158/story.html

(its in the first line or two under the picture

First link is dated march 7th which is the date the 11th episode aired.
    Thought the last few episodes were good but didn't think the ending was great, as another poster on here said something along the lines of " Oh stasis pods they'll come in handy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭liamtech

Im Devastated that the franchise i have loyally followed for 15 odd years is over - I intend to go back and watch every episode from sg1 again-

BUT!

I have to be completely honest and state that this last series (SGU) was in my opinion awful (im entitled to my opinion folks!)- And as for that last episode and the monumental cliff-hanger - i dont even care - The last ever stargate episode like the last ever stargate series was full of ridiculous "Friends" style hugging, and sobbing shaking hands- the story like the series had very little substance-

I fully expect to be heckled for saying this but, i for one will not miss SGU - Far from it, i am actually glad its over - theres very little more i could have taken - Only BLIND FAITH in the franchise kept me watching!

Thats it! Let the heckling commence!

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

Thought it was a good ending but it does leave you thinking oh how are they going to get out of this one. Loved all the stargate series up till now sad to see it go. Would love to see this get wrapped up in a movie or something.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 2,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoGiE

Just watched Gauntlet... Probably the worst series finale I've ever watched...of any show. Thank the Gods it's over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Wasn't a good season end, nor was it a good series end.
    I expected them to wake up after 3 or a thousand years and then the cliffhanger would be revealed.

The show was a disaster. Every time some interesting plot development was made it would be resolved or dropped before it had been used. So many examples. Too many convenient resolutions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Best possible ending for the show, very bittersweet much like the reality of losing Stargate. The ambiguity was also good, allowing us to draw our own conclusions rather than just ending on a rubbish cliff hanger that would never get a resolution. I liked the switching off of everything at the end as well, counterbalancing the opening scenes on Destiny of everything turning on.

I'm sad to see Stargate go, and even sad to see Universe end, it was very boring in the beginning but it has matured a lot since then and become excellent viewing over this last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

Honestly, best possible ending.

There was no necessity to go out with a bang, no huge cliffhanger, just an ending with a lot of options to run with if (here's hoping) someone picks it up, either as a series or a film.

In the end, it was all about Eli and his self-confidence in the end. Something most people could actually relate to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭red dave

Such a poignant ending given the fact it got cancelled. Such a shame as I highly regarded this show :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭Paulj

A terrible pity that this should has ended. I thought it had wonderful potential and seemed so much more believable than SG1 and SGA.

I quite liked the way it finished... paved the way for someone to continue the story line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

I agree that it was a good way to end. It's left to our imagination whether they'll wake up in three years, a thousand or never. As an aside, Eli could always upload to Destiny if he doesn't get the pod running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Berns

Whats the chances we'll remember in 3 years and come back and ask so whats happened :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

happy with how it ended. it's not resolved, but at least it's not a huge cliffhanger like other shows that get cancelled get. liked the music at the end.

could they not have fitted more than one person in the statis pods? i could imagine Eli thawing Chloe and telling her he has to go in her pod :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭-Trek-

Goodbye Destiny.

• Advertisement

Why the hell didn't Eli bring the 3 suits with him to the sealed off area? There is obviously oxygen in those giving him extra time? I thought all the lights going out and showing Destiny was a nice ending though, still a shame that it was the ending to the whole of stargate...

For some reason I was expecting a goodbye and thanks for watching after the show ended from all the main characters throughout the years :(

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭alfaz

this was definitely the best stargate series that was made.

can't believe they've canceled, great ending though. hopefully someone picks it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

if you want to go down the suit route then he could just climb in the shuttle and that would buy him a few extra days

"This is Ripley, last surviving member of the Nostromo, signing off. ..."

Skerries wrote: »
    if you want to go down the suit route then he could just climb in the shuttle and that would buy him a few extra days

"This is Ripley, last surviving member of the Nostromo, signing off. ..."

Yea, but an extra few days he couldn't of fixed the pod because he would be in a shuttle... Instead of in a suit beside it...

I'm also wondering if chloe could calculate jumps that close, why couldn't they jump right beside a star, go into it and fight from inside with the full power?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I think that was the best possible ending we could have hoped for when you factor in that the episode was shot before they got cancelled. Can you imagine last years finale being the last episode???? That would have been far worse.

I know there are a few hoping it will be back in the future but it surely won't. :( The main cast is too large to expect them all to still be available if it gets picked up by another channel. And to be honest the ratings are bad so why would they pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I'm also wondering if chloe could calculate jumps that close, why couldn't they jump right beside a star, go into it and fight from inside with the full power?

I had the exact same thoughts. I suppose that helps the power issue thing but the food and water one would still remain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

I'd say the sun's gravity would affect FTL jumps. remember the episode "Faith" about the planet that was built? you probably couldn't jump close to a star, because the gravity would knock you out before you'd get close

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Excellent end to the series. Now if it had been a season end I'd have felt differently but, as this gave an actual sense of closure to a degree, this worked perfectly. More poignant than SG1 or SGA's series finales. There was no need for a big action sequence here, IMO, because we needed to say goodbye to the people and not to a series of explosions.

Too soon, too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Far too much rubbish emotion and sentimentality in this thread. It was a story without an ending. None of this parallel with how the show was cancelled rubbish, I dont care how the show was cancelled I watched the show for the story not the production and funding backstory. I wanted to know what happened to the crew.

The show should have ended with a step through the stargate not a lame flicker out and the pointless Ely storyline for the last five minutes, what did that serve?

Very dissapointed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

I was happy with it, I thought it was just about the nicest way it could have ended given how abruptly the show was cancelled. Even though the plot is unresolved, it still managed to bring about a feeling of closure and of saying goodbye, intentional or not. It was much better than a cliff hanger ending in the middle of a perilous action scene or a space battle, which is what I was dreading.

I'll really miss this show. It would be kinda cool if it somehow got resurrected in 2014 though :p

Advertisement