Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stagate Universe (2x20) Gauntlet **SPOILERS**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭overshoot

crazyderk wrote: »

anyone know what episode the pyramid shaped satellite weapons with sphereial cutouts are from? its at 1.05 i just cant think of them.

if it has to be the ending of sgu, its nice, a massive battle scene/cliffhanger like the mid season break would have really left a bad unfinished feeling to it.
    who knows hopefully it will be picjed up again

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

No more stargate :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

overshoot wrote: »
    anyone know what episode the pyramid shaped satellite weapons with sphereial cutouts are from? its at 1.05 i just cant think of them.

Not quite sure, but wasn't that the episode the Harcesis comes to earth and shows Daniel what would happen with if he received his knowledge

Its called Absolute Power S4e17

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

Thought it was a little uneven episode. I think they really developed some interesting characters but were let down by the scripts. I may have been dozing thorugh the last few minutes of this episodes but I was confused that Young didn't sacrifice himself in place of eli- it was made pretty clear that eli didn't expect the person left to be able to fix the remaining pod- and isn't Eli the resident genius while Young contributes very little. Also they don't allow for the fact that in the intervening years that a solution may be found from Earth. It just seemed a very dumb plan to end the series with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

red dave wrote: »
    Such a poignant ending given the fact it got cancelled. Such a shame as I highly regarded this show :(

I thought it ended well, the right way and best possible way all things considered. Eli came into his own, admitted he was smarter then Rush, something i think even Rush would privately think to himself.

It wasn't the greatest finale but at least it didn't end like most cliffhangers do...thank god.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Thought it was a little uneven episode. I think they really developed some interesting characters but were let down by the scripts. I may have been dozing thorugh the last few minutes of this episodes but I was confused that Young didn't sacrifice himself in place of eli- it was made pretty clear that eli didn't expect the person left to be able to fix the remaining pod- and isn't Eli the resident genius while Young contributes very little. Also they don't allow for the fact that in the intervening years that a solution may be found from Earth. It just seemed a very dumb plan to end the series with.

I think the logic was that Destiny needed a commander and leader, Young was nesscary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,892 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thought it was another good episode after a string of them lately..

As others have said, although unintentional, it was a decent series end under the circumstances - I'm just very disappointed that we won't get to finish the story.

Sure it was a bit weird at the start seeing Stargate go all "serious", and sure the story took a while to get going and there was a lot of filler but I still think it was a hell of a lot better than what won out in the ratings (read: advertising revenue) war - more celebrity/reality ****e :(

Despite its flaws, I enjoyed this show and I think they assembled a group of actors and characters who were just starting to come good - I mean think back what TNG or DS9 was like in its first 2 seasons!

I'll miss it anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Another meh episode. Wasnt overly moving that you would imagine the end of stargate would be I mean if sg1 had ended like this it would have had a lot more emotional weight cause as a whole that series was just better. i still remember watching "all good things" from the next generation and "what you leave behind" from ds9 and feeling genuinely moved... thats what good story telling will do, this was middle of the road FILLER - I highlight that simply cause when I think back on SGU thats the only thing I will remember.

The whole fiasco became horribly clear a after the first season break that it was going to be 1 good episode for every 3 /4 filler ones.. the whole point being the writers wanted to drag out the story under the guise of "character driver sci fi" but in reality all they bloody wanted was a stable pay check for as long as possible during a recession. So drag it out was the name of the game. The series suffered for it and they couldnt find a middle ground between draggin the a**e out of it and keeping fans interested. If a show is good enough no matter what time slot its put into it WILL shine and prevail so while SyFy scheduling didnt help the show itself was doomed from the beginning due to the writing staff.

Glad to see the back of it and its patronizing writing style and hope that ts given a serious chance as a franchise if its ever picked back up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,892 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

All the people giving out that it was a poor ending to the series need to remember that it wasn't written as the end to the series - just the season ender.

Judging it on that basis it was a decent end to a series of good episodes and would have set up Season 3 with any number of possible outcomes - do they all make it? Do they wake up early, on time or much later? Does Eli survive etc etc
    (spoiler for anyone who hasn't seen it yet) SG1's (series) ending was no better in my opinion what with the big Reset Button being pressed for everyone except Teal'C and Atlantis, while it had lots of s'plosions didn't really resolve anything either!

@hightower1: In reference to All Good Things and What You Leave Behind, you have to judge those as endings to 7 year series where the characters and actors had grown (particularly in DS9) immesurably from the first 2 seasons.
    (spoiler again for obvious reasons) As for DS9's finale... it could really have ended in the first hour - the 2nd was pretty poor by comparison with only the last 10 minutes or so being really necessary to tie things up, and the montage sequence was very over-indulgent I think, plus a bit silly without Jadzia (although I know this was for legal/contract reasons, but she WAS in it for 6 years after all!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Riamfada wrote: »
    Far too much rubbish emotion and sentimentality in this thread. It was a story without an ending. None of this parallel with how the show was cancelled rubbish, I dont care how the show was cancelled I watched the show for the story not the production and funding backstory. I wanted to know what happened to the crew.

The show should have ended with a step through the stargate not a lame flicker out and the pointless Ely storyline for the last five minutes, what did that serve?

Very dissapointed.

i think given that this ending was written on the basis that it was going to be continued on, it could have been a damn sight worse! also felt that this series was more about the characters than the stargate itself. yes that was a bit of a flaw in that they should have used the stargate more often, but i still think it was a good ending even if destiny's story had been told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

I liked it.

It was an interesting episode, I was afraid that they spend the 2nd half of the episode agonising over which 8 would stay out of the pods.

The decoy suicide shuttle was a nice move too.

I know it was written as a season finale, and I'm very glad it wasn't the Atlantis style - Oh No, that factory just exploded, possibly killing all the major cast members, now wait 6 months to find out what ridiculous way they all survived.

As a show finale, it wasn't the worst way to go out. Good development of characters and a nice open ending that hopefully will be continued in some form one day.

So long for now Stargate, come back soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It reminded me of the SG1 episode "Within the Serpent's Grasp" with everything being shut down (I think SG1 was going through it's own cancellation issues at the time).

Not a bad ending considering it wasn't planned, just a pity we won't get to see what happens next (on screen anyway), so much potential there with the descendents, the advanced race, the supply line planet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

no more lt.boobs
    feels-bad-man-meme.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Where was the closure? Did they survive? What was the point of the Lucian attack other than to introduce one minor character? What was the point of the whole message from God lark? No answers to any of the questions raised in the story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Riamfada wrote: »
    Where was the closure? Did they survive? What was the point of the Lucian attack other than to introduce one minor character? What was the point of the whole message from God lark? No answers to any of the questions raised in the story.
    Questions I'm sure would've been answered if it didn't get cancelled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Its been said a number of times, this wasn't a Series final but rather a Season final. Theres a big difference, they never have clouser in a Season Final. Why would they.

I thought it was great. I would have liked to see a story along the lines of Eli not getting the pod repaired but finding a way to get more power outa the ship and having enough to keep minum life support for the 3 years the others slept. So when they wake up he had aged 3 years and none of them had.

Something like that would have made Eli a much different person and see him having issues interacting with the crew when they come back.

But other than that there was a load of options for the show. I'm still hoping there is a option for the show somewhere. But who knows if Syfy will keep the rights closed. But stranger things have happened. Looked at what happened when SG1 got canned in its first few sesaons. It got picked up again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Very pissed off at the ending, not because I didn't enjoy the show, I thought it was fantastic, but because it's being replaced by wrestling!
    SGU was a brave attempt to take the franchise into uncharted waters, the place few shows have tried to go before, that is to produce original stories without being mere reheats of Star Trek eps or revisions of SG1, we didn't have to suffer they way I did with 80% of SG:A, where it was cliche after cliche.
    And now we have nothing but Fringe to look forward to in the autumn, do we really think anything else is going to last past the mid season? That time travelling dino/Lost in space effort? It has cancellation written all over it and it has yet to be aired....

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭SirenX

I thought it was a really depressing ending. it made me sad that I'd never get to know what the future holds for the characters :'(

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

This was my favourite of all the Stargate shows for a number of reasons, although SG1 is close in different ways. Stupid SyFy.

Will the last person out of the forum turn off the lights please.

I thought it was the perfect ending for the series and that it ended up on a high-note, having actually been good towards the end. Eli looking out over the ship at the end was a great touch, I think most of us here could imaging the same sense of wonder if we were in the same situation!

I reckon Stargate might be due a reboot in the years to come, hopefully before I'm drawing a pension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

baz8080 wrote: »
    I reckon Stargate might be due a reboot in the years to come, hopefully before I'm drawing a pension.

Do NOT say that :mad:

This show was hit and miss, but a fair bit more hit in my opinion. Some great epsiodes, some episodes that were genuinely difficult to watch and subject matter that was challenging.

It angers me to no end and on so many levels, that this was only given two seasons - when America's next top model is on how many seasons now?

This is a smart engaging show, and even though it is science fiction - I think it had broad appeal and just never got going.

When shows like this fail - it just means more dumbed down crap in the future.

Hope it gets picked up again.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

It angers me to no end and on so many levels, that this was only given two seasons - when America's next top model is on how many seasons now?

Teenagers and young and old women love that reality $hite a sad but unfortunate fact :(

we're really at a stage where for me personally there are no (what i think are) decent sci-fi shows on TV :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Conor108

I thought that was a great episode! Last supper scene and the montage of Destiny powering down at the end was well done too.

Have a funny feeling that if Season 3 had happened, Park would be able to see again after 3 years in stasis. No idea why:P

The piano tune that was playing at the end of the ep, anyone know what that is? Realise its more than likely, composed for the show but they use contemporary music alot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

Annoyed this is over
    US networks cancel so much sci-fi, if it is not reality tv, wrestling or a gameshow they dont wanna know.

I really enjoyed SGU, arguably the best SG franchise (SG1 hasnt aged well imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

another fine episode, its feel so wrong that this is the end of the road for stargate, ive been watch this since the first day SG-1 aired and have had a steady stream of it for 14 years, with 2005 being the highlight with season 8 of SG-1 with the newly lanched SGA, then in 2008 with the atlantis cancelation came the anounchment of SGU, i was sad to be seeing the end of rodney and the gang, but looked forward to meeting new caracters and exploring the universe with eli and rush, looking back on the road that SGU took it was one helluva bumpy road, and just as we get to the smooth part SYFY* just jumped in and killed it, these people need to be thought a lesson, and hopefully will be given one in the next year or so,

anyway back on topic, i thought it was an excellent season finale as has been said, it just coincidentally worked out to be a better than half decent series finale, destiny flying into the distance was a nice touch i wonder if it was re-edited that way,

i dont get why they couldnt just jump out of FTL guns blazing with the accuracy of chloes jumps, instead of sacrificing another shuttle, it would have been nice to know where the drones came from, and how the seed ships got through them,

i thought it was right that eli stayed out to fix the stasus pod, with his conversation with his mother showing he really has grown up from the nerd that played computer games for a living, now he had a purpose and even thought it might cost him his life hell be happy, they couldnt have left rush out cause as young said you just couldnt trust him, and young staying out was a death sentence,

it was nice to see greer and park having a proper conversation, without his tough guy persona he really is a nice guy, i noticed they were gonna drag out TJs love life for another season (so that a bullet avoided:D), i was expecting some Lt Boobs boobage to send us off, but sadly it was just a sad day all round

**** you syfy*

*he said in a really sarcastic way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

don ramo wrote: »
    i dont get why they couldnt just jump out of FTL guns blazing with the accuracy of chloes jumps, instead of sacrificing another shuttle, it would have been nice to know where the drones came from, and how the seed ships got through them,

I'm thinking they would have never shown where the drones came from. They had a habit of opening up interesting plots and closing them abruptly. The constructed planet, the alien experiments etc. they didn't know how to milk a premise.

Was the Lucian Alliance attack the equivalent of the tail section in Lost? An excuse to add more expendable extras? Were the episodes about the race of humans with the crew as their ancestors just a way of getting one character back to Earth?

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭TheKells

don ramo wrote: »

The seed ships didn't need to get through them because the drones weren't there. Destiny only encountered them when the crew went off course to investigate the signal, then the drones started following them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭somuj

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

that's brilliant :D rush must have had a bad experience in France

Advertisement