Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for turf?

Options
  • 09-05-2011 2:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭

Wondering would anyone around the galway area be interested in buying bags of turf? No summer job has left me thinking of cutting turf and selling it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

mink_man wrote: »
    Wondering would anyone around the galway area be interested in buying bags of turf? No summer job has left me thinking of cutting turf and selling it.

You'll be one of many selling the stuff I'd say, plenty around last year. Have a look on donedeal, plenty selling it there, and The Dealer paper has had a few ads in it - see if you think it would be worth your while.

From living in an estate last year, I know a couple of lads used to call round on a weekday evening and offer people single bags to buy from the back of a van, handy for houses where there's not much outdoor storage area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

hoody wrote: »
    You'll be one of many selling the stuff I'd say, plenty around last year. Have a look on donedeal, plenty selling it there, and The Dealer paper has had a few ads in it - see if you think it would be worth your while.

From living in an estate last year, I know a couple of lads used to call round on a weekday evening and offer people single bags to buy from the back of a van, handy for houses where there's not much outdoor storage area.

cheers for that, have 100 yards to be cut anyways now so no going back :)

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

You could always sell it by the trailer load. You would get around four trailers out of 100 yards and the going rate is around €450 a load. But there is the added hassle of getting someone with a trailer and then filling it . . . that is if you did manage to sell it. Bagging turf is a hoor of a job and selling it door to door equally tough. Particularly with turf, householders are suspicious about buying bags that are not well filled (ie plenty of air inside). It is a tough job, fair play to you for embarking upon it and I'm sure a few boardsies will take a few bags off you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

dec25532 wrote: »
    You could always sell it by the trailer load. You would get around four trailers out of 100 yards and the going rate is around €450 a load. But there is the added hassle of getting someone with a trailer and then filling it . . . that is if you did manage to sell it. Bagging turf is a hoor of a job and selling it door to door equally tough. Particularly with turf, householders are suspicious about buying bags that are not well filled (ie plenty of air inside). It is a tough job, fair play to you for embarking upon it and I'm sure a few boardsies will take a few bags off you.

a 10 by 6 trailer you're on about? we have a 13 by 7, I think the going rate for a 10 by 6 load would be 350, I have the option of selling it in trailer loads just thought I'd sell it in bags as there would be more profit? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

mink_man wrote: »

Have you got a weekly market, or markets where you live and surrounding towns/villages? Squat outside and try your luck with turf €3 a bag. Know a guy that done it and he was never quiet. Takes a bit of cheek mind as he never actually entered the market area but did capitalize on them drawing the crowd.

• Advertisement
Advertisement