Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

windows 7 best price

• 09-05-2011 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Just bought a new laptop which I hadnt really budgeted for.
    Need to install windows 7...does anyone know where cheapest place in Dublin would be...probably the basic version

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Blink182rock

thepirateb*y.org

;) .. no don't do that ..its bold and illegal !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hang on, is there no Operating System on the laptop? It should come with set up disks or pre-installed at least!

If you wanted a stop-gap while you're shopping around you could install Ubuntu (linux operating system), it's completely free.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭dennyire

That serious,does it work and is it illegal ?

chin_grin wrote: »
    Hang on, is there no Operating System on the laptop? It should come with set up disks or pre-installed at least!

If you wanted a stop-gap while you're shopping around you could install Ubuntu (linux operating system), it's completely free.

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Thanks I will look at that...I have some games I need to set up and originally would only take Windows xp or vista

dennyire wrote: »
    That serious,does it work and is it illegal ?

Who are you referring to here, if it's Blinks post then: yes that's completely illegal. If it's mine then: no Ubuntu is freeware.

Ah right, just read your update there.

Refer to this on how to play windows only games on Ubuntu.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsGames

• Advertisement

Thanks for all that chin grin

Went on to the ubuntu site and it looked good
    started downloading onto memory stick and it seemed to be going ok,,,went to step 2 and confirmed it was usb
    Step 3 just asked me about cd so I finished

Checked out the download and doesent seem to have worked
    Icon is a pile of books and when i opened it showed just a list of files

Will try again or have you any suggestions

Thanks again

dennyire wrote: »
    Thanks for all that chin grin

Went on to the ubuntu site and it looked good
    started downloading onto memory stick and it seemed to be going ok,,,went to step 2 and confirmed it was usb
    Step 3 just asked me about cd so I finished

Checked out the download and doesent seem to have worked
    Icon is a pile of books and when i opened it showed just a list of files

Will try again or have you any suggestions

Thanks again

Just download the first step (regular download). Burn the .iso file on to a cd (using, for example, ImgBurn).

Pop the cd in and boot from it (press any key to boot from cd). The disk is referred to as a "live cd" cos you can try out the operating system directly from the cd instead of installing. It'll still give you that option though.

Again, this is only a stop gap until you find a decent Vista\Win 7 (if you wanted to).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

If you can get your hands on a Win7/Vista cd or .iso you can use it for up to four months using the re-arm command which would allow you to save up a bit more and purchase a proper copy.

Advertisement