Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Independent piano teacher or School of Music?

Options
  • 09-05-2011 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi!
    My daughters are losing their beloved piano teacher. :(

They have been doing Grades, with the eldest (going on 13), just starting Grade 5 (RIAM), and also playing some Jazz and Trad, just loving it generally. The youngest ( 9, Grade 1 just done) is less obsessed with it, and might need to change instrument. She has been talking about classical flute.

I am starting to look for somebody to take over. Any advice as to what to choose, private or MCnG-based? Any experience of MCnG, as I know very little about it...What about the GTI?
    Any recommendations or names you could give me (even PM) me?

They love Music, and it's extremely important to us that they would remain happy and motivated in their studies.

Thanks in avance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

I got my guitar lessons from Coole Music:

http://www.coole-music.com/

Dunno if this is any help for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Galwaymother

Thank you Sofa King, but I'm looking for somebody in Galway city or near enough, or even on the East side suburbs... Claregalway at a pinch. Hear great things about Gort and Athenry, but it's too far!

Unless somebody is willing to come to my house, on the East side of Galway city? We have a lovely piano, and they would coffee and maybe cake!

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Well, the lessons were to be in Gort Community School, but i had my lessons in the teachers house which was near the city.

No harm in dropping them an email to enquire about lessons outside of the school, they might put you in contact with someone living in the city etc.

Oh I see...I'll certainly do that, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭doubleglaze

I'd try Eamonn Murray for piano. I don't have any contact details for him, but he'd be the one I'd send a kid to in Galway City.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I recommend Belinda Fair. She lives near oranbeg, Oranmore. PM me if you want. (Might be difficult to get a time that suits as she is very busy)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 galwaypianist

Try MCnG.ie

Thanks, I have. There are 4 or 5 piano teachers, I don't know which would be the best for us...
    Do you know if they lend instruments there for Beginners? (for my second daughter and Classical Flute)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 galwaypianist

The best is to talk to Hugh Kelly- the head of the school. There will be an open day at the end of August. I hope that helps-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement