Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Giro - Tragic crash in today's stage - Wouter Weylandt condolence thread

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭Home:Ballyhoura

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭superrdave

I was watching this live on Eurosport earlier. I don't know why the producers had to show that image. They came back from an ad break and showed it, and it was not good. I had to turn away. No-one needs to see something like that.

I didn't know until I came on here that his wife was pregnant. Jesus. Your heart goes out to her.

RIP Wouter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Terrible to see this live on the telly today.Thoughts are with his family and friends.Very sad. RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Moreofthatjazz

bugger... certainly gives pause for thought... may he rest in peace...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

May the wind be always at your back. RIP Wouter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Horrible news. Puts things in perspective. Our thoughts are with his family and friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Rofo

Awful news. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭cranks

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mc2000

Really terrible news, may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

RIP
    Thoughts with his Family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Very sad news, RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭byebye

Rip.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Very sad news. Not much to say other than my heart goes out to his family RIP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 293 ✭✭LCRC_BAX

Got this sad news by text earlier today.

RIP WOUTER WEYLANDT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

What a terrible tragedy.
    My thoughts are with his family and his girlfriend and the baby due in Sept.
    R.I.P. Wouter.

This day is as sad as 1995 TDF crash and death of Fabio Casartelli.
    A black day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭murph226

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭spdmrphy

Grim news, awful loss of a talented young guy. 26 years old, FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭WakeyTyke

Just like to add my condolences to his devastated family, friends and colleagues.

As cyclists we all share a common bond and a tragedy such as this digs deep deep into the heart of all us.

RIP Wouter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Awful sickening scenes today. RIP Wouter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

My Father phoned me earlier all upset after watching it on the tv, So sad and tragic. Rip Wouter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭ktz84

Absolute tragedy and my thoughts are with his family, friends and team mates. RIP

I'm glad I heard about this tragic event before I sat down and watched the recording I had. Needless to day it's been deleted never to be watched. Not something I ever want to see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I only seen coverage of this on sky+ tonight, horrible to watch. RIP Wouter and condolences to his wife,family,friends and colleagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Horrible thing it happen, thoughts are with his family.
    RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

RIP Wouter. Tragic accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Debthree

Such a brave and talented man. RIP Wouter. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭damoz

RIP. Tragic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

yop wrote: »
    RIP, the poor lad.
    Thats the frightening as said it could be any of us which makes it a little more real.

Galway cyclist I heard of who is possibly paralyzed when he hit a pothole on the Headford road.
    We are one pothole away from a death notice.

The poor wife expecting.

RIP young lad.

I passed by that accident on the Headford Road - a road i cycle on every week myself. Really makes you think.

RIP Wouter. Gone too soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

That Galway cyclist is making a good recovery.

RIP Woulter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I was following the coverage yesterday when the accident occurred. Tragic.
    RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 elsanto

Terribly sad and wish I could un-see the coverage which caught me by surprise on Eurosport.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Tinder

RIP, saw the accident live yesterday, wish I didn't, thoughts are with his family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 922 ✭✭✭Mr. Skeffington

Tragic news, terrible to see such a young talent lost, very sad day.

RIP Wouter Weylandt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

RIP Wouter Weylandt

Prayers and thoughts to his family and friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,197 ✭✭✭kensutz

State pathologist just said he died instantly from his injuries and no suffering was inflicted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

RIP.

At least he didn't suffer.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Signal_ rabbit

Very tragic. It was very moving/upsetting watching the stage today and the peloton paying homage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 244 ✭✭murf85

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭howardmarks

murf85 wrote: »

awfully sad. never woulda thought it was such a dangerous sport/pastime. Only just getting into cycling and all i seem to here about is crashes and injuries.

RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I didn't know what to post yesterday, RIP seems not to convey how shocked I was. I cycle, my friends, my boyfriend, numerous acquaintances, and the immediacy of Wouter Weylandt's death was overwhelming to me.

Watching the coverage of the Giro tonight, I went and opened a nice bottle of wine I had been keeping, and am drinking it with my boyfriend. Keeping for what? Carpe diem, you don't know how long you have with the people you love.

So very sad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭drogdub

Leopard Trek team have pulled out. Who could blame them. From the team Facebook

The riders of LEOPARD TREK wish to communicate that they will leave the Giro d’Italia as of tonight, following the tragic accident of their teammate and friend Wouter Weylandt.

This choice of the riders has the full support of the staff and management of LEOPARD TREK. General Manager Brian Nygaard: “The decision needed to be taken by the riders, because they are the ones that participate in the race. We have always said that we would stand behind their choice.”

“We wish to thank the other teams, the race organisation RCS, the Italian authorities and all the fans on the road between Genova and Livorno on today’s stage, as the peloton paid tribute to Wouter Weylandt.”

Team Captain Fabian Wegmann explains the rider’s decision. “We have a lot of respect for the Giro d’Italia and for cycling, but we simply cannot continue racing given the circumstances. We are professional athletes, but we feel this is the right thing to do.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Thief

murf85 wrote: »
    A nice mark of respect from the Peleton today i thought.

Yep & the fans too!

LeopardTrekine_2595346.jpg

FansNumbers_2595342.jpg

Edit: a donations account for Wouters family has also been set-up on Facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

Another initiative for raising money for Weylandt's family here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

another nice story with imput from Jens Voigt ( http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/leopard-trek-racing-for-weylandt-in-california ). The best of luck to the team in the tour of California

Advertisement