Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Left on the Steps of the American College

Options
  • 09-05-2011 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi All,

This morning as I was returning to the office from the coffee run I noticed something left on the steps of the American College in Merrion Square. It was around 9:30 on a Monday morning so I was still half asleep, but after rubbing my eyes (metaphorically, I had coffee's in my hand) I couldn't believe what I saw. It was a baby in a carry cradle with the handles raised to allow a little blanket be draped over to protect the child from the elements. I stopped and had a look around and there was no-one obviously close enough to be in charge of the child. Much to my annoyance / guilt since I walked the extra three minutes to my office and deposited the coffees. Then the reality of what I just saw dawned on me, so I quickly threw my coat back on and went back to the steps of the American College. All in all this would have been around four or five minutes since I passed the spot originally, but now the baby was gone. There were a few delivery vans pulled up going about their business and I presumed one of them knocked on the door of the College and informed them of their unusual delivery!
    Has anyone heard any news of this? Maybe someone has a contact in the Gardai and they were called about it?
    Thanks
    NOWE

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

You just left a baby there on it's own because you wanted to get your coffee back to work? :eek:

I hope the poor child is ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 northofwestend

Well I was cautious about approaching a strange child... but I certainly regret it now...

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭sinead81

How could you have walked by a baby? Going to work with coffees would have been the last thought in my mind!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

My reaction would have been the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 northofwestend

I realise that this wasn't my finest moment, I regret it deeply. I was just wondering if anyone had heard anything. If people want to set up a separate thread to pillory me for what I did , please go ahead, but if anyone has information please post it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

I would certainly have waited with the child to make sure that everything was above board. I'm sure it's now on your mind as you don't know the circumstances of why the little bundle was on the doorstep at the very moment you passed. I'm sure the mother was nearby. If you are still worried about it perhaps ring the gardai. Hopefully everything is abve board :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Give OP a break, if he missed the mother who was standing close by he'd be in the slammer as a paedo right now. You can't just go around picking up babies. At least he went back to find out the situation.

Maybe call the college and ask them for information or if they heard anything? It could have been a careless parent who put the baby down and was at a near by parked car or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭scifi77

Sundew wrote: »
    I would certainly have waited with the child to make sure that everything was above board. I'm sure it's now on your mind as you don't know the circumstances of why the little bundle was on the doorstep at the very moment you passed. I'm sure the mother was nearby. If you are still worried about it perhaps ring the gardai. Hopefully everything is abve board :)

It's very easy for everybody else to be a hurler on the ditch and to know what should or should not have been done in hindsight. It was clearly a very difficult situation for the OP who must have been in shock and torn as to what to do. Well done to the Op who, after initial indecision, returned to the spot and is still clearly concerned. Hope all is well for the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Don;t worry OP, I'd probably have done the same. God knows in this shthole of a country you could easily get done for kidnapping if you tried to bring the baby to a cop shop.
    Earplugs in, avoid eye contact, get where you need to go with minimal human interaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Nevore wrote: »
    God knows in this shthole of a country you could easily get done for kidnapping if you tried to bring the baby to a cop shop.

You're being sarcastic right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Nevore wrote: »
    God knows in this shthole of a country you could easily get done for kidnapping if you tried to bring the baby to a cop shop.

Mobile phone, 112, hello I've found an abandoned baby. There'll be plenty Gardaí there fairly quick.

OP notwithstanding the above, I'd have been a little indecisive too. I applaud your concern, some people would just be totally indifferent, at least you went back.

If you're particularly worried, put a call through to Pearse Street Garda Station and enquire about the matter.

Advertisement