Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathmines Clock Tower Noise

Options
  • 09-05-2011 3:43pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13

Anybody have a problem with the clock tower going off at night? I've recently moved apartment in Rathmines and am now very close to the tower. It's pretty loud at night when there's no other noise and I find I'm getting woken up on the hour when the bells ring. Surely they should be turning it off at night ie between 12 and 7am?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I lived about 300 metres from the clocktower for fifteen years and it sort of grew on me. never had a problem with the noise, in fact i quite enjoyed hearing the different crescendos (if you will) every quarter hour).

The tower itself was alot worse, but they restored it in the last 5 years. I think at one stage, all 4 clock faces read different times! Its a great landmark though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 obrien36

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great landmark I was just surprised at how loud the ringing was. The actual chiming part isn't too bad, it's more the bell that sounds the number of hours that is particularly loud. And I've no problem with it during the day, it's just at night when it's quiet you can especially hear it. I guess I just wanted to see was I the only one who was having a problem with it, as I'm sure some residents must have complained about it in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

surely in this day and age they can find a way to stop the chimes going off at night??

That's what I'm hoping anyway. If the bells are mechanical it's probably not possible to stop them going off without stopping the actual clock but if they're electronic then in theory they should be able to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭diddlybit

I used to live in Ranelagh and could hear it in my apartment there. Quite liked it, especially at night. It would let me know how much time I had left in bed. :) You'll get used to it I suppose, like any background noise. Living somewhere else at the mo, which is really quiet, found it really difficult to sleep at first.

• Advertisement

I used to live in a different apartment in the same complex, except it was at the back. You could still hear the clock and like you said it was almost comforting to hear at night because it was just a background noise. But since moving to this top floor apartment we're in a direct line with the tower, and it seems to be especially loud. The bell might as well be in the room with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭sc4rf4ce

I've recently moved to rathmines aswell and find the bell chimes a bit annoying at night when trying to sleep. Especially on a sun night.

I'm sure ill get used to it though. Nice landmark to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rathmines renter

I'm thinking on renting a place on castlewood terrace (behind swan centre) does anyone know if the noise of the tower bells and the delivery trucks (for the shopping centre) are annoying there? Also is it a safe road to park on?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BFDCH.

this is driving me fcking mental. i just moved in behind the swan centre, I had been in Ranelagh before where you could only just hear them, they were comforting at that level.

I've been woken up at 5 and 6 in the morning the past two mornings, it sounds like a really loud, ****e doorbell followed by big ben style bongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I'm probably used to it by now, but before that I found that BQ ear-plugs (about 6 Euro from most chemists) always worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

I'm thinking on renting a place on castlewood terrace (behind swan centre) does anyone know if the noise of the tower bells and the delivery trucks (for the shopping centre) are annoying there? Also is it a safe road to park on?:confused:

yes you will hear the bells but they are the least of your problems the delivery trucks to dunnes at the back of the swan in the wee small hours are what you need to worry about

I lived in rathmines for 12 years and loved hearing the bells, it is something you get used to, they are electronic and a guy comes over from england once a year to service them, thats why when they are broken and all out of sinc that they stay that way for a while.

Used to live in the rathmines town centre which was fun, the church bells on one side and the tower bells on the other

and then if you live down by grove park end you will hear a loud siren every Friday at midday which is the air raid siren that the barracks let off, I could still hear it when I was working in Hatch st in D2.

will swop with any of you to live there again miss it so much as I grew up there, family moved to the sticks when I was a teenager and then I moved back in my 20's but now with a family so hard to find and be able to afford somewhere decent in rathmines :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

I moved in to Ranelagh three moths ago from Killiney and it'a a bloody nightmare if you leave the window open. I lived close to the church in Killiney and it NEVER peeled.
    I cannot believe they allow this to peel ALL night ???

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭BFDCH.

Bongbong bong bong.... Get tae ****. Ear plugs or a bomb for the tower tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Piliger wrote: »
    I moved in to Ranelagh three moths ago from Killiney and it'a a bloody nightmare if you leave the window open. I lived close to the church in Killiney and it NEVER peeled.
    I cannot believe they allow this to peel ALL night ???

get over it, if you dont like it feck off back to killiney

The Rathmines Town Centre clock has been there a lot longer than you and deserves to chime every fifteen minutes all through the day and night and if you dont like it move, and maybe educate yourself about the history of rathmines and its wonderful clock if your going to live there

http://dublincitypubliclibraries.com/dublin-buildings/rathmines-town-hall

Advertisement