Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Mommys favourite Diapers . .

• 09-05-2011 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering which Diapers Irish Mommys prefere when shopping down the Mall in 'Mommycare'?

We have found Lidl diapers to be brilliant (size 5) ones anyway, other people sware by Huggies, some Tesco, and some prefer Pampers, and I suppose a lot depends on what age group/size you are talking about, but it will be interesting to hear what other Moms & Dads experiences are with the various brands of Diaper.

Obviously I call them Nappies, and I call my Mum Mum, and we shop in 'Mothercare' in the Shopping Centre, but with all the Americanisms floating around Boards.ie at the moment I thought I would inject a bit of humour into this thread :)

Serious question though - which brand of nappies do you sware by?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

aldi size 5 seem good.
    dont like huggies at all.
    pamps ok but dearer.

and nevermind the americanisms, wha about the englishisms, mum ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

For size 1 2 and 3 the boots own brand are by far the best.
    The size 3 lidl have brought the baby out in a rash but are fine on the 2 year old.
    Sainsburys nappies were the best all around nappies they were great for every age and stage.
    Huggies are fine for pull ups but the nappies always leaked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Always used Pampers Baby Dry, didn't like the Active Fit tho. Had lots of leaks with those.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

We always use Pampers, anything else seems to irritate her skin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

used huggies when he was new born and they were fine as the months went by swapped to pampers baby dry im now on 4+ never had a major problem few leaks when he had the runs but thats expected imo they are a little expensive but you can get great deals in tesco on them which helps
    pampers baby dry :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I used Pampers yellow pack and they were brilliant,

then went on to Boots size 3 , then 4 green pack, again great, but a little small.

I bought the Huggies Natural fit Big box on offer and found them grand, but, I dont like the way they tie at the waist, Pampers seem to be tighter but softer.
    Huggies never leeked for me, but as I was told today by a women' I don't know why they sell them things, they always leek'.

Now I'm on Simply Dry, there great wouldn't dream of changing.

I have used Lidl and Aldi, borrowed them from friends, they both seemed really bulky after 1/2 an hour under her clothes. (size 3 and 4).

I used a few Pampers Acti- fit. I thought they were brilliant, def the Royals Rice, but too expensive.

She's never had nappy rash, I never use any cream just water and cotton wool and the odd bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

When my son was born we used Huggies Newborn, but they always leaked (my sister in law says the same about Huggies now, they have a 5 week old)

We use Pampers most of the time now but recently decided to try out Tesco nappies. During the day they appear fine but I used them at night recently and he was wet the next morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Tesco (the green ones) Size 3 and 5 on my two at the moment and they are great...

Used to use Huggies on both when they were younger and never had a problem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

Pampers active fit for day, pampers baby dry for night. Huggies gave my newborn (less than 5 hours old nappy rash) Would never stick cheap nappies on my kids.... thankfully i only have 1 left in night time nappies now......

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭TheWarrior

We have found the huggies to be useless- they always seem to leak- the newborn ones anyway. We tend to use the Aldi Size 3 nappies now along with the occasional pack of pampers but would really recommend the Aldi ones for performance & cost.

• Advertisement

Pampers active fit for day, pampers baby dry for night. Huggies gave my newborn (less than 5 hours old nappy rash) Would never stick cheap nappies on my kids.... thankfully i only have 1 left in night time nappies now......

The "cheap" nappies are sometimes better quality than Pampers/Huggies...

January wrote: »
    The "cheap" nappies are sometimes better quality than Pampers/Huggies...

My friend used to buy her son cheap nappies this was 12 years ago (he was 2 weeks younger than my daughter) and his poor sons bum was all nappy rash and the plastic used to cut into him, that turned me off for life. And after my second child was born and he got nappy rash with huggies it was pampers all the way.

Hopefully they are better made now, but i had/have no issues with pampers and would never ever try cheap nappies on my kids because of what i saw on that childs bum. Oh and when i was buying nappies they were €17.00 for a big pack and €12 for a small, way dearer than what they are now but worth every penny/cent.

The cheap nappies (no idea why you're bolding the word cheap there??) are nowhere near as bad a quality as they would have been years ago. There's absolutely no different between a pampers nappy and a tesco nappy... in fact the only thing I can't use on my two daughters is Johnsons & Johnsons wipes in the pink packet because they irritate their skin, the tesco wipes etc are perfect...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

My mam only ever used Pampers on me when I was a baby, and I had awful nappy rash-
    I'm sure a lot of the composition of nappies has changed now from what they were years ago!
    Load of people I know swear by Lidl nappies from the size they do up...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

I've been using reusable nappies (Bumgenius) and find them great. No nappy rash and very few leaks.

Forgot to say , my eldest got nappy rash from having the runs (nothing to do with the nappy she was wearing (pampers) )

Every time she cut a tooth she got a chest infection she was then put on antibiotics and they gave her the runs and needed steroid creams for the rash it was that bad, the reason for the nappy rash was not the nappy but the antibiotics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

+1 for re-usable nappies (Bumgenius and a bamboo version which is great for sore bums). I was deadset against them as I remember the old terry nappies from my childhood but my wife was equally stubborn about wanting to try them. That they're more eco-friendly pushed me a bit in that direction so when she found a company that would rent you a selection of reusable nappies for 3 weeks we had a go and never looked back. The bum gemius are just like normal nappies. The bamboo ones have a wrap which are a little more fiddly because they have a wrap but the speed at which they get rid of a red bum is quite surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭magztar

Lidl all the way! and for 6.99 ya laughing all the way to the bank :)

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭hacked

I use the Pampers Simply Dry for the most part...really cheap and never had a problem with them!

I think when it comes to cheap nappies it all depends! I personally wouldn't go for them as I had bad experiences with them on Isobel. Particularly the tescos ones. They ended up being as expensive as buying the more expensive brands as they didn't last as long and I Was having to change her more often. I also had to change her more frequently because they gave her a rash! They do work for some people though, each babies skin is different, it depends on the child!

I never liked the huggies either. I used the newborn pampers...probably the most expensive ones, but I found them totally worth it and fantastic. I don't get to Lidl very often, but their nappies are grand.

I still stick by the Pampers Simply Dry (the orange pack!) Super cheap, and they last right through the night, no leaks. They usually have deals on them in Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

NextSteps wrote: »
    I've been using reusable nappies (Bumgenius) and find them great. No nappy rash and very few leaks.

+1!

I personally love & use FuzziBunz and Charlie Banana one-size nappies - so much so I opened a store with them!

I use one-size over sized nappies as I like the way I can use the whole nappy set from birth to potty. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

soc wrote: »
    +1!

I personally love & use FuzziBunz and Charlie Banana one-size nappies - so much so I opened a store with them!

I use one-size over sized nappies as I like the way I can use the whole nappy set from birth to potty. :cool:

Pardon my ignorance but when I think of reusable nappies I see big terry cloths and safety pins.. how do the modern ones work? Do you have to scrape the poo off or what? :confused::o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭Clearlier

You put flushable liners inside the nappies (or you forget and shake while holding over the toilet). I had a similar reaction when my wife first suggested it. I could remember my siblings in terry nappies and it wasn't pleasant. Current nappies are completely different. For one thing you don't need to soak them. For another safety pins have been replaced by velcro (and the plastic button type things whose name I can't remember right now). The biggest drawback for me is the size of them. When you add in a couple of inserts they can get pretty bulky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

magztar wrote: »

Amen to that, they are also leak proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

magztar wrote: »

I just switched to these from Huggies Superdry and they are just as good and the price is fantastic :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Grawns wrote: »
    I just switched to these from Huggies Superdry and they are just as good and the price is fantastic :D

How many do you get in the pack for that price??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

I'm using Lidl now too, switched after Pampers kept leaking.

Xzanti they're 6.99 and there's 50 in the pack (well in the size 4 pack I have anyway).
    Haven't had any problems with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭crazyginlady

Find the Lidl ones fantastic myself , have used them since the little one was about six months old . I'm not sure if they even sell them in newborn sizes but I dont know if i'll use them when new bump arrives .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭sillysocks

From memory I think the smallest size in Lidl is size 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

sillysocks wrote: »
    Xzanti they're 6.99 and there's 50 in the pack (well in the size 4 pack I have anyway).
    Haven't had any problems with them.

44 in the size 5 pack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭kaa

i heard lidl and aldis nappies are good but never used them.

i did try tesco brand nappies they are ok but i wouldnt put them on as a night nappy because they would start leaking.

huggies and pampers i used but mostly pampers

Advertisement