Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal people more reserved and closer to northerners and scots?

Options
  • 09-05-2011 4:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭

http://www.ireland-fun-facts.com/donegal.html

I found this while mindlessly browsing the net

People here have a distinctly northern outlook on life that might have been a challenge for my husband and myself, as native Dubliners, if we hadn't come here directly from Scotland. Dubliners are far more garrulous and openly curious about you. They’re quicker to presume friendship, quicker to take slight at something, and are imbued with a certain cockiness. Donegal folk, on the other hand, are more restrained. They don’t assume a friendship before time has built one up. I see them as realists, equipped with a dry wit and good-natured temperament. Because so many Rosses people have spent time in other countries, they have an easy-going attitude toward “settlers” like ourselves. You’re made feel welcome, without anyone having to overstate the case.

Do you think this is a fair representation?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Rds1989 wrote: »
    http://www.ireland-fun-facts.com/donegal.html

I found this while mindlessly browsing the net

People here have a distinctly northern outlook on life that might have been a challenge for my husband and myself, as native Dubliners, if we hadn't come here directly from Scotland. Dubliners are far more garrulous and openly curious about you. They’re quicker to presume friendship, quicker to take slight at something, and are imbued with a certain cockiness. Donegal folk, on the other hand, are more restrained. They don’t assume a friendship before time has built one up. I see them as realists, equipped with a dry wit and good-natured temperament. Because so many Rosses people have spent time in other countries, they have an easy-going attitude toward “settlers” like ourselves. You’re made feel welcome, without anyone having to overstate the case.

Do you think this is a fair representation?

Personally I find these little attributes little more than cheesy tags so different groups of people can have nice little labels attached to them. Are we to believe there's a line in the ground that once you pass over it people are different?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

fontanalis wrote: »
    Personally I find these little attributes little more than cheesy tags so different groups of people can have nice little labels attached to them. Are we to believe there's a line in the ground that once you pass over it people are different?

Is there a line we cross in December heading south where its freezing here but roasting in Australia?

It's a gradual thing. And dublin and Donegal are at the extremes of it
    It's fair to say people from Donegal are more like Northerners. Hardly surprising as they're the most northernly county on the island. People's habits obey geography much more than any politically drawn line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

we have visitors at different intervals every year from North America and the common observation that is made is that Donegal people are themselves, there are no heirs and graces and that we are generally good humored... locals will tell you that this varies from region to region though eg. Inishowen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

we have visitors at different intervals every year from North America and the common observation that is made is that Donegal people are themselves, there are no heirs and graces and that we are generally good humored... locals will tell you that this varies from region to region though eg. Inishowen

You trying to say the people in Inishowen aren't good humored :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Rodin wrote: »
    Is there a line we cross in December heading south where its freezing here but roasting in Australia?

It's fair to say people from Donegal are more like Northerners. Hardly surprising as they're the most northernly county on the island. People's habits obey geography much more than any politically drawn line

I suppose, but I guess some of it may come down to rural versus urban as things tend to be more hectic in the city. Like someone you can also have different descriptiosn within regions of regions that already ahve their own distinction.
    Personally i think those through the gap are the worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭sollar

I would say we are more like northerners or scottish. Its in our accent too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,383 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

honestly i moved here in 1997 and cant say i've been anywhere as friendly.
    maybe its as much your attitude as theirs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

I'd agree. Donegal people would have more in common with nordies than the rest of the country. The level of emigration from Donegal to Britain also has an effect on the temperament of the people. In the Rosses most people have family from Scotland, Glasgow in particular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

You trying to say the people in Inishowen aren't good humored :pac:

no, they are very good humored.. but only amongst themselves :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Rodin wrote: »

In that case we're not at all like Northerners - they are more like us really:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I have lived in Inishowen for 10+ years.

I lived just over the border from the North, and recently have moved deeper into the penisula.

I have always found the people of Donegal very friendly, and I think the further you move away from bigger towns or cities, the friendlier people get.

I find 95% of people achknowledge you on the street or supermarket. I know its only a simple "yes", "hello", or "how's it going", but it makes an impression. Another thing I notice in some of the more rural locations, including where I am now, is the custom of lifting a finger up from your steering wheel to acknowledge the driver coming toward you. Again very minor, but a nice touch you would not see elsewhere.

I was born and raised in the North, and would not move back into it to be honest. Perhaps people in Donegal will move towards being more ignorant and unfriendly in decades to come, but for now the city folk are just too impersonal for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I've been living in Inishowen for a year having moved up from the West and I have to say I find the people very friendly for the most part. Inishowen seems to have it's own distinct identity from the rest of the county and is probably more northern than much of the rest of the county, especially geographically.

Advertisement