Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nursing in UCD.. and general help for newcomer

Options
  • 09-05-2011 4:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Well I'm hoping to get accepted for General and Children's nursing in UCD. :D. I have my exam results just on my Gap year at the minute, playing the waiting game :(.

Was just wondering if anyone else is hoping to study nursing there next year?

And also if anyone is already studying it and could shed any light on placements, e.g where do you go, what do you think of it, where seems the best hospital to choose, length of placement in first year, does it run into the summer or is it of normal course length?

The UCD website is not as informative as I would like. :(

Also, any new-starts (or anyone for that matter) what halls are you thinking of choosing for accommodation.. I've got my heart set on Glenoma.

Actually advice on any thing would be appreciated :).

I'm new to this, so sorry if it's been done wrong and any help would be appreciated. ::o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

Hey there I'm a 4th year general student! Hope I can help somewhat!

I'm not 100% sure how different the C&G course is to general but first year is basically this:

Semester 1: All of it is spent in UCD. Modules are a mix of science type stuff (anatomy, physiology, biology, chemistry, physics) and social science type stuff (sociology, psychology) It's probably changed a little since I started but it'll be the same basic content. All the module info is on the schools website.

Semester 2: You come back in January and go out on your first placement in whichever hospital you choose/were assigned to. You get to pick your preference when you accept your offer but not everyone gets their first choice. If you're doing childrens you'll either be in Vincents which is only down the road from the UCD campus or the Mater which is on the north side (about a 10/15 minute walk from O'Connell street. You'll also be attached to Crumlin childrens hospital. I don't know if your first placement is a general placement of a childrens placement. As I said I can only comment on the adult part of the course! This first placement lasts 5 weeks from what this years first years were telling me. They did four weeks in my first year. You go back to college then for about four weeks and do similar modules to what you did in semester one. These four weeks are quite intense with most days being a 9-5 with an hour for lunch Monday to Friday.
    After these four weeks it's back out on placement either a general or a childrens placement. I think the childrens students spend longer than the general ones do. Which means it'll go into the summer a bit. For who long I don't know. It'll definitely be more than 6 weeks.

Placement is good and bad. It's exciting in a way as you're putting the uniform on for the first time and getting to do some nursey type stuff and interacting with patients and the likes. As to where you're sent is a mixed bag. Some wards are really lovely to students some are indifferent and some are less than friendly.

My advice would be go in with an open mind. Try to be helpful and look interested. Smile. Don't take ANYTHING personally. Wards can be really busy places at times and you will feel in the way but it gets much better as you learn the routine and what's expected of you. Watch out for 4th year interns it's not long since we were out for the first time an completely overwhelmed and we're generally a nice bunch!

You'll be assigned to a staff nurse when you're on placement. They'll act as your "preceptor" ie the person that does your assessments and signs all your documentation off! Placement isn't difficult to pass or anything just turn up and ask questions and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

Hi

Just came across this thread now and thanks very much for all the info! I was just wondering if you could tell me when UCD nursing students actually start the course - as in what date in September if it is September? Any help is appreciated! I just got accepted for general ;-)

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Riveta

same date as everyone else as far as I know! Should be on the registration page on the ucd website!

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ithread

Hi,
    Got a letter in with dates yesterday, thanks Riveta!

Advertisement