Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burglar alarm for rented house

Options
  • 09-05-2011 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to fit an inexpensive burglar alarm in a rented house which will be occupied for one year?

The tenancy agreement is only for one year so it would need to be as reasonable as possible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Yes. There are some great deals around at the moment. A basic wireless kit with a few beams is probably what you want. There's a sticky at the top of the page, try some of the installers in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Yes. There are some great deals around at the moment. A basic wireless kit with a few beams is probably what you want. There's a sticky at the top of the page, try some of the installers in there.

In same situation. Renting a house in D12.

Any recommend a decent, basic alarm fitter in Dublin?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

There are some listed in the sticky here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956748
    You can also search the PSA register here
    http://www.psa.gov.ie/Website/psa/psa.nsf/registervw?Openform
    Select 1d Alarm Installer Licensees Nationwide.

KoolKid wrote: »
    There are some listed in the sticky here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055956748
    You can also search the PSA register here
    http://www.psa.gov.ie/Website/psa/psa.nsf/registervw?Openform
    Select 1d Alarm Installer Licensees Nationwide.

Hi koolkid,

I saw the sticky and it's a good info resource. But like a car mechanic, it's good to have recommendations.

Just found out a house across the road was broken into last week and we were told by a neighbour that thieves were probably 'casing' houses without alarms. And we're in the 30% without an alarm.

So gonna get a few quotes and ask the landlord.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Good stuff. Lets know how you get on.

• Advertisement

KoolKid wrote: »
    Good stuff. Lets know how you get on.

Koolkid,

I've talked to a few companies this morning and they're pushing the 'PowerMax' systems for between 500 and 750.

I see in a previous thread you said you wouldn't recommend them but don't give any further detail.

Are they not reliable/secure?

I just got a quote from Eircom Phonewatch - €1,350 after discount :eek:

They are reliable. I can't remember in what context I would have said that. Can you link to the thread your referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

quad_red wrote: »
    Koolkid,

I've talked to a few companies this morning and they're pushing the 'PowerMax' systems for between 500 and 750.

I see in a previous thread you said you wouldn't recommend them but don't give any further detail.

You wont get much of an alarm for €500. Be very careful to what you agree to get installed. Some companies wont install window/door sensors and only install PIR's which means the burglar has to be inside the house before the alarm activates.

Post up here how many windows/doors you're being quoted for so we can see if you're getting a good deal.

Also.

Powermax and the likes of the Pyronix stuff is at the cheaper end of things. The best wireless system out there at the moment is HKC, it's top quality. The Signet is pretty good too but personally I think the HKC is the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The pyronix kit might look cheap but it's far from it.
    Texecom Ricochet is streets ahead of HKC, the trade magazines like it too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

quad_red wrote: »
    Koolkid,

There are a lot of good systems out there to choose from, I too would rate the HKC Securewave wire free as one of the best on the market. It is more expensive than the likes of visonic. It uses two way technology for its sensors which is also a plus. The powermax is a good system. I have being installing the visonic since the early days of the powermax + and rarely have any problems with the system. Most problems are to do with batteries replacing than anything. P.W use the new Simon XT, I dont like this system and most of there installers would rather install the older Simon panel over it. The Enforcer also offer a two way system would be another good cheaper option. The good thing about installing a wire free system is if you decide to move you can always bring it with you if your land lord does not want to pay for the system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

The easiest option here is to get a powermax kit that comes pre-programmed.
    all you have to do is plug it in, mount the sensors and it's ready to use

Hi guys,

Appreciate all the feedback and help.

Landlord has agreed to fit an alarm but wants to do the legwork himself.

To be fair, he's a sound out guy. We've been very lucky with landlords the last couple of years :o

Will pass on the details you guys provided (and sent) to him and let him make his decision.

Will let ye know what he goes for.

Cheers,
    Quad

Advertisement