Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Customs stopping cars in Waterford

• 09-05-2011 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

The customs are stopping cars today beside Tesco
    I never seen the customs stopping cars before, wonder is it a new thing to raise a bit of money for the government, between that and the gatso vans they might be able to pay of the debt a bit faster

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Bards

Ricey1 wrote: »
    The customs are stopping cars today beside Tesco
    I never seen the customs stopping cars before, wonder is it a new thing to raise a bit of money for the government, between that and the gatso vans they might be able to pay of the debt a bit faster

which Tesco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Surely customs have no right to search you just walking(or in this case driving) around? are you sure it wasn't a drugs search or something?

ziedth wrote: »
    Surely customs have no right to search you just walking(or in this case driving) around? are you sure it wasn't a drugs search or something?

they have more powers than the Gardai and can stop and search anyone without a warrant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

Bards wrote: »
    they have more powers than the Gardai and can stop and search anyone for anything without a warrant etc.

Surely only at the point of entry to the country though? :confused:

gscully wrote: »
    Surely only at the point of entry to the country though? :confused:

That's what I would think, they are a border agency like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

Nope, I've seen them having cars pulled over in Dublin and Limerick on quite a few occasions. They can also take your car from you there and then if VRT isn't paid on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Tayla

What are they searching for exactly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Ricey1

They where stopping all foreign cars

Interesting, I hadn't thought of VRT and all that. makes sense that way.

That's what I would think, they are a border agency like.

nope - they often have road checkpoints - checking for Red Disel, VRT of foreign registered cars, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Been stopped by them loads of times all over the country. Diesel is the main check i think.

There is lots of posts about them stopping all over the country today

It would be some laugh if they stopped the queen in her yellow reg limo and asked her what she was doing here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

There is lots of posts about them stopping all over the country today

It would be some laugh if they stopped the queen in her yellow reg limo and asked her what she was doing here

Sure isn't Charlie a farmer. Maybe he's using the red diesel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

AFAIK customs can open your fuel tank and take a sample of it to make sure it not red diesel even when the car is parked somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

STIG83 wrote: »
    AFAIK customs can open your fuel tank and take a sample of it to make sure it not red diesel even when the car is parked somewhere.

Bang on, happened to a friend of mine about 2 weeks ago, were testing his diesel.

Doylers wrote: »
    Bang on, happened to a friend of mine about 2 weeks ago, were testing his diesel.

How do they fine someone if red diesel is found and the car owner not there? leave a note on the windscreen?

How do they fine someone if red diesel is found and the car owner not there? leave a note on the windscreen?

Take a note of the reg, follow the car, and then bust whoever it supplying the stuff.

dayshah wrote: »
    Take a note of the reg, follow the car, and then bust whoever it supplying the stuff.

Bloody hell!! they take no crap by the sound of it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Bloody hell!! they take no crap by the sound of it!!

They certainly don't and in some ways they have even more power then Gardaí

They certainly don't and in some ways they have even more power then Gardaí

If they saw a car with no insurance or tax would they have power to report it?

• Advertisement

If they saw a car with no insurance or tax would they have power to report it?

Sure even I have the power to do that.

Remember customs are at the coal face of dealing with the 'Real' IRA, drug gangs, arms smugglers, and some of the worst scum society has to offer.

Ya seem when I heard customs I for some reason thought of them search for fruit and veg :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ya seem when I heard customs I for some reason thought of them search for fruit and veg :)

Watching the Simpsons a bit too much I think ;)

Customs have a lot of powers, including seizing your car and impounding lorries full of goods
    Generally with with the gardaí though at the checkpoints, look for the white caps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

customs have a lot of power...

they can seize a lot of stuff and the onus is then on you to prove it is legal, i.e. all duties are paid, vrt etc..

Most cars these days have locks on the fuel tank so it would be impossible to open the fuel tank without causing damage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

customs have more power than the guards and regularly perfrm check points dipping fro green diesel, not a money collecting scheme for the government I'm afraid to disappoint to you

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

Most cars these days have locks on the fuel tank so it would be impossible to open the fuel tank without causing damage
    I've seen them with large bunches of keys. They have the power to force the locks open if they suspect that illegal fuel is being used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

Its about time they started clamping down on the foreign reg cars around here. There are loads of them driving around and 99% of the european reg cars here are not owned by holiday makers.

It is a money collecting scheme for the government. People get paid they pay half their wages in tax, they buy a car about 60% of that is VRT tax, every year they have to pay road tax, they buy petrol probably 50% of that is tax, they get caught speeding and they have to pay 70 euro in speeding tax. So in reality how much of your wages that goes on your car is actually tax?? Wake up and smell the reality, the government wants to screw you every way it can, and its because of the government that we are in the mess we are today. Why is there all these new gatsos on the road? Because the government financially ruined this country and they want us to pay for it

tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax get used to as they will be looking for more ways to screw you in the near future

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

as regards driving your car theres a facebook group with 12k members
    to deal with customs harassment

also further info here

Advertisement