Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Does anyone rent out caravans?

• 09-05-2011 4:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi there
    Is there anyone in this country who rents out caravans? We are toying with the idea of buying one but would love to have a few weekends away first to see if the novelty would wear off. I don't want a campervan - its specifically a caravan we are looking for. Besides the fact that the motor homes are very expensive to rent I hate the idea of having to drive it everywhere, even donw to the shops for a pint of milk.
    There is a guy on donedeal advertising his caravan for rent but its too small for our family of 6. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Havent heard of rental. Your best bet is one of your mates who has one (befriend someone here if stuck :D). With a family of 6 I suppose you're talking a 5 berth, which are rare enough compared to 4 berth. The other option is maybe older kids camping in a tent which is itself under the awing - which would be relatively comfortable, awings tend to be keep out wind fairly well so not as cold/wet as regular sleeping in a tent.

Some cheap caravans on Donedeal a while back so you could chance a cheap & cheerful one and sell it again if it doesnt work out - you shouldnt lose much/anything. Or maybe see if one of the sellers there would take a "non refundable deposit off you" - i.e. if you buy it then its cost you nothing more, if you dont buy then call it a rental charge.

As a caravan owner of 3 years I'm very happy and would say take the plunge, whats the worst that could happen. If you're outdoorsy & anyway practical then you should enjoy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭time lord

newwifey wrote: »
    Hi there
    Is there anyone in this country who rents out caravans? We are toying with the idea of buying one but would love to have a few weekends away first to see if the novelty would wear off. I don't want a campervan - its specifically a caravan we are looking for. Besides the fact that the motor homes are very expensive to rent I hate the idea of having to drive it everywhere, even donw to the shops for a pint of milk.
    There is a guy on donedeal advertising his caravan for rent but its too small for our family of 6. Any ideas?
    Trying out a caravan too small will/might put you off forever. The first trip away mightn't be the easiest either. Parking, hooking up water and electric, opening shelves basically making "camp" can be all consuming enough the first time without 5 sets of eyes watching you too:D to have a giggle or watch you break something.

6 berths would be most readily available under the make Hobby. 4 berth with an awning is good too but more time consuming making and breaking camp. Renting here I havn't heard off, doubt it would pay. Very easy to break stuff in caravans. Happy camping.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

Hi time lord
    If we buy it will definately be a 6 birth. Keeping a good eye on donedeal for a bargain but they are few and far between. ebay uk has loads but you have to be quick, and of course there is the travel involved in getting it home. I am familiar with the Hobby brand but a lot of them have a certain 'lived-in' feel IYKWIM ;)

newwifey wrote: »
    Hi time lord
    If we buy it will definately be a 6 birth. Keeping a good eye on donedeal for a bargain but they are few and far between. ebay uk has loads but you have to be quick, and of course there is the travel involved in getting it home. I am familiar with the Hobby brand but a lot of them have a certain 'lived-in' feel IYKWIM ;)

The 'lived in' type as you mention are usually the best as 'amateurs' didn't pick them. They only buy the best. They usually insist all coverings are sealed in plastic and never actually touched, the on board loo would never half been used, their choice in caravans are usually spacious, reliable and very modern. You can buy new ones that wouldn't be as modern as a second hand one.

Most 6 berths will be twin axel and will restrict very much where you decide to go. Some Irish sites will not let you in if your a twin axel. Touring with a twin axel will also rule out lots of Donegal, the West, large parts of Munster and make the Sunny South East a nightmare to tour through.
    Touring with a twin axel can be like towing a ten foot wide wall behind you 23 foot long. It rules out most secnic routes in Éire.

Its also I feel the dearest time of year to buy a caravan.

I once had problems getting into a site in Kent England. As the owner explained later he was wary of the Irish accent, and our make of caravan towed by a silver jeep. We got in and and got on great with him. He also gave a list of about 8+ caravan makes they wouldn't let in anywhere he knew of as in other sites. The irony he said is that he said they were all the best makes. Indeed he had a twin axel hobby of his own. The camp had lots of dutch and german visitors whos vans would be banned from many of the sites.
    Be open minded in your approach to buying a suitable caravan. Take a walk arount any of the larger camp sites 4* or 3*. More Hobbys than you can shake a stick at. The "lived in feel" quote leads me to think you might of gotten bad bad advice. Did they also say not to tow a caravan with a hiace, is that their mindset I wonder?:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

Time Lord - interesting comments.

A bit counter-intuitive to think less wear in a "lived in" caravan that a holiday use only. Even if we accept that as being the case, would you trust dealing with that clientele?, I'm sure they'd give you the CRIS numbers in advance....... Overall I dont know if it would be worth the hassle, your comeback would be less than nil.

As to twin axle - arent they supposed to be easier to tow in some respects (more stable, less roll). Is is that they are always wider that single axle? & that would put you off roads in the west? I've towed mine down boreens and I dont think another foot in width would make that much difference.

I heard the twin axle not accepted thing before, but I've never been asked whether single or twin when I rang up (in my "respectable" bogman tones) either for Irish or UK sites, nor was I asked about the make. And having a Limerick county address (though not "that" address) should probably put people on red alert.

As to the 8 makes, I gather Hobby and Tabbard are two. Any others?, & is it only the twin axles that are blacklisted.

Overall buying a caravan shouldnt be like buying a car - you can more or less see what you're getting (check for soft floor, rust underneath, signs of damp near the front, around skylights, in presses, or cracks on the front edges). I'd rather buy an "honest" more basic caravan than take a fair auld chance dealing with t'lads.

• Advertisement

Betsy Og wrote: »
    Time Lord - interesting comments.

A bit counter-intuitive to think less wear in a "lived in" caravan that a holiday use only. Even if we accept that as being the case, would you trust dealing with that clientele?, I'm sure they'd give you the CRIS numbers in advance....... Overall I dont know if it would be worth the hassle, your comeback would be less than nil.

As to twin axle - arent they supposed to be easier to tow in some respects (more stable, less roll). Is is that they are always wider that single axle? & that would put you off roads in the west? I've towed mine down boreens and I dont think another foot in width would make that much difference.

I heard the twin axle not accepted thing before, but I've never been asked whether single or twin when I rang up (in my "respectable" bogman tones) either for Irish or UK sites, nor was I asked about the make. And having a Limerick county address (though not "that" address) should probably put people on red alert.

As to the 8 makes, I gather Hobby and Tabbard are two. Any others?, & is it only the twin axles that are blacklisted.

Overall buying a caravan shouldnt be like buying a car - you can more or less see what you're getting (check for soft floor, rust underneath, signs of damp near the front, around skylights, in presses, or cracks on the front edges). I'd rather buy an "honest" more basic caravan than take a fair auld chance dealing with t'lads.
    Fendt was another name, lots of horror rejection stories for hobby owners in Gt. Britain but none I've come across here. There is a hobby owners web site with a thread for some of the stories. Ill try this paste to link http://s4.zetaboards.com/Hobby_Owners_Club/forum/37771/. Its in there somewhere.
    The twin axel rejection was a site in Mayo if memory serves me right. When we first started caravanning it was one of the first 3 sites that mentioned it but its been a while now and we only have a single. Would love a double but even with our single axel hobby most country roads are tight as our caravan is from yellow line to white line and thats before the boreens:eek: After we got on site there were twin axels so maybe it was an excuse to fall back on to deny access to some people.
    We got stuck on a minor road near Alton Towers in England when we met a public bus. Lost a pound of sweat that day. Its all buyer beware, a lot of the ebay caravans are down as younger than they are too.
    We have gone to a lot of places in Ireland but are kind of settling on certain spots now and are repeat customers. The kids love Caseys near Dungarvin as the beach is yards away with a proper cycle track into the town, large free playground, spotless w.c. blocks etc.

I never towed a twin axel so I can't compare but a lorry driver mate says he'd drive a semi truck over towing a caravan anyday:) Must say i reakon I'm the king of reversing at this stage though as you get when you store your caravan around the side of your house;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Irish Fire

There is one to rent on DoneDeal.ie saw it there last night, might be a private guy rather than a company, but I'm not too sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Bailey is one we hear nothing only good reports of , and obviously Elddis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Microheavy

Newwifey,

Just go to the UK and buy a used Hobby single axle. The 540UK is a great fit for families.

Hobby vans are by far the best caravan you can buy. Never mind all that rubbish about travelers etc. That really only applies in the UK.

But if you think the novelty might wear off then it probably will !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Microheavy wrote: »
    Newwifey,

Just go to the UK and buy a used Hobby single axle.

why not buy one here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭newwifey

Bailey is one we hear nothing only good reports of , and obviously Elddis.

I have to say I'm fond of the Bailey too. The layout is my favourite.
    The stability of the single axel v's double is something I know nothing about. Unfortunately we live in the west and would have to travel poor roads to get out and away. But that will be Mr. newwifey's problem :P
    why not buy one here?

Having studied donedeal, buy&sell and ebay.co.uk I'll have to say that there is no comparison in price. Much higher number of private caravanners in the UK naturally but they sell the whole kit - awning, water rolls ect whereas here its the most basic unit at a much higher price.
    Another negative for us is that there is very few caravan dealers in the west. Would love a trip to wexford but its about as far away from us as you can get!
    Ideally I would like to narrow down our choice of caravan and buy when the season is over to get the best deal.

Advertisement