Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet BB T&C's changes!

• 09-05-2011 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭

Magnet have changed there T&C's. Coming into effect from the 1st of June. So if anyone has a problem with them or there service. Now is the time to leave your contract without penalty!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

I got that notification from them today, the same day UPC launched it's new packages.

cancellations@magnet.ie is the address to use

Since today (9th May) is less than 30 days from 1st June, Magnet have therefore failed to give me 30 days notice of the change, which by law they're supposed to do. (according to hte letter they sent me)

I wonder does that mean I won't have to pay them for this month.

<edit>
    forgot to say

order via boards offer to get a €50 DID or carphone warehouse voucher + free install

http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭billyboy01

I got that notification from them today, the same day UPC launched it's new packages.

cancellations@magnet.ie is the address to use

Since today (9th May) is less than 30 days from 1st June, Magnet have therefore failed to give me 30 days notice of the change, which by law they're supposed to do. (according to hte letter they sent me)

I wonder does that mean I won't have to pay them for this month.

<edit>
    forgot to say

order via boards offer to get a €50 DID or carphone warehouse voucher + free install

http://www.upc.ie/boardsoffer/

Be careful, UPC are not the george best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

billyboy01 wrote: »
    Be careful, UPC are not the george best!

They are 100% better than Magnet or Eircom which I'd rate as as bad as each other in my personal experience.

UPC for broadband are the best in the country by far if you live in an area that can get it, their digital TV is a different matter.

To be fair to Magnet their broadband (ADSL2) has for most of the time I've been with them has been a consistent speed.

But was paying €40 for 3Mb, so , €31 for 12Mb with UPC is a no brainer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭yuloni

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

In the letter they just say go to www.magnet.ie to read the T&Cs

then it gives overview of changes
    • change to cancellation charge
    • no downgrades during contract
    • you must contact magnet if broadband degrades
    • if you switch services are liable for outstanding charges for remainder of term
    • if a number port fails magnet are not responsible
    • payments will be applied to oldest invoice
    • may be suspended if payments overdue by 15 days
    • if you are suspended you may not switch services to another provider until all invoices and charges are paid

I have bolded what looks like the important ones, basically am guessing people were porting numbers away from them in order to leave mid contract and they were having difficulty enforcing leaving charges and charges for remainder of term.

I think the above may mean that if they suspend you they can then hold your phone number for ransom till you pay up what you owe them.

But I'm no expert read the terms yourself (if you can find them) and make your own mind up (or get legal advice)

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭weazlor

Any changes on the download limit? If no, grand.

I'm on magnet bolt, and honestly havent had any major problems from their side. And loving the latancy. If they're just updating to cover themselves against people bailing on money owed, I dont consider it a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

weazlor wrote: »
    Any changes on the download limit? If no, grand.

I'm on magnet bolt, and honestly havent had any major problems from their side. And loving the latancy. If they're just updating to cover themselves against people bailing on money owed, I dont consider it a big deal.

I'm on the 24mb package (the one with free off-peak minutes to local and landline) for almost an year now.
    I'm very happy with their service except for the two bank holiday weekends that it went down:mad:

Not sure i morally agree with using this letter to leave a Company
    when it did the right thing by notifying me about changes in its terms and conditions that are, in the main, reasonable.
    However, EUR 55 for 24mb broadband(though the highest i can ever remember receiving on a speedtest was 17mb) is not exactly the cheapest in the market - so I'm unsure what to do.
    Now if they were to perhaps improve their non-price competition offering such as giving me free access to all channels on their http:\\www.magentwebtv.ie service
    and perhaps give me free off-peak minutes to landlines worldwide ....;)

I don't think anyone is saying they are big changes, it's just the fact that the terms are changing that allows customers under contract to exit without penalty.

Advertisement