Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cost of replacing brakes and chain.

• 09-05-2011 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭

What should I expect to pay to get the brake mechanisms, front and rear and the chain replaced on a low-end hardtail mountain bike? (i.e. parts and labour)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

DSCF0248Concord%20speed%20hump%20small.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

How low is low-end (ie, what bike is it?) And what parts do you want fitted?

Hi. It's a Giant Rock SE. Think this it it, here.

I want a new chain put on. For the brakes I want to replace the mechanism at the wheel front and rear.
    i.e. this:
    caliper-600.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,256 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

FTGFOP wrote: »
    Hi. It's a Giant Rock SE. Think this it it, here.

I want a new chain put on. For the brakes I want to replace the mechanism at the wheel front and rear.
    i.e. this:
    caliper-600.gif

Caliper brakes won't fit that bike...in the photo the bike has cantilever brakes..

Well a new 7 speed chain shouldn't cost more than a tenner and it only takes a minute to put on so labour won't add massively to that.
    As for the brakes, the ones you linked to are calipher brakes for road bikes, they won't fit on a mountain bike. Your bike currently has V-brakes which range from roughly 10e http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=64399 (each) to a lot more than 10e http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=7048.
    So price depends on how much you want to spend really (and what the shop has in stock) but labour shouldn't be massive as replacing brakes isn't a big job. Chain and brakes shouldn't take more than an hour altogether (ideally less).
    Sadly I can't give an accurate estimate of how much an hour's labour will cost as shops tend to vary and I tend to do most of my own wrenching so don't have much experience in that regard, it won't break the bank though.

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Caliper brakes won't fit that bike...in the photo the bike has cantilever brakes..

No, they're side-pull V-brakes. Cantilevers could fit this bike too but there'd be no reason to.

Thanks guys. I only used the image to show that I meant more than the brake pads.

Advertisement