Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 tolls on the M3

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

CHing ching! Ching ching!
    while payments for the M3 Clonee-to-Kells motorway between October and December came to €547,000.

This works out at an average of €111,000 per week.

# Serious questions now need to be asked about the negotiation of this contract.....

If we take the payments on the M3 to be over 12 weeks
    that's 45k/week times 52 is 2.37 million times 44 (years left on the contract) is 104 Million.

Marmur, how about the cost of 4km from the N3 to the N4 = eur 3

As I pointed out before the A9 in france is 60 cents from J43 to the border- about 9km and goes over 4 viaducts far more impressive than the westlink

MYOB, the underground section of the M50 is tolled at between 3 and 10 euros for a car or motorbike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

If we take the payments on the M3 to be over 12 weeks
    that's 45k/week times 52 is 2.37 million times 44 (years left on the contract) is 104 Million.

This assumes that the economy won't recover, that traffic levels won't rise and that the subsidy will have to be paid for the duration of the contract.

I seriously doubt that Ireland will remain in recession for the next 44 years and I seriously doubt that its population, and thus traffic levels, won't significantly increase over the next 44 years.
    Marmur, how about the cost of 4km from the N3 to the N4 = eur 3

I don't what that means. The M3 is the road I was talking about, not the N3. The M3 does not lead to the N4.

When you pay the tolls on the M3 you're entitled to travel it's entire length, which is a bit more than 4km.
    As I pointed out before the A9 in france is 60 cents from J43 to the border- about 9km and goes over 4 viaducts far more impressive than the westlink

And how much do you have to pay to travel 51km on this autoroute?
    MYOB, the underground section of the M50 is tolled at between 3 and 10 euros for a car or motorbike.

It's tolled at this level because it is not intended for use by commuter traffic.

It was built to allow trucks to access Dublin Port, using a relatively uncongested route.

The only way to keep it uncongested is to discourage other traffic from using it by setting tolls at a deliberately high level.

Imagine if the toll to use the Dublin Port Tunnel was only €1.80 for cars.

It would be packed with commuter traffic every morning and evening - completely undermining the reason it was built.

The high charge for non-truck traffic to use the Dublin Port Tunnel is a congestion charge. Even at that, €10 for cars is less than the £10 cars are charged to drive within London's Congestion Charge zone.

The M6 Toll, on the other hand, was designed to allow all long distance travel to avoid the seriously congested section of the M6 that passes through the greater Birmingham conurbation. Yet the toll for cars at peak times (from 6am to 11pm, Mon to Fri) is £5.30 (about €5.90).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I don't what that means. The M3 is the road I was talking about, not the N3. The M3 does not lead to the N4.

When you pay the tolls on the M3 you're entitled to travel it's entire length, which is a bit more than 4km.
    Sorry I wasn't clear, I meant the M5o between the N3 and N4

And how much do you have to pay to travel 51km on this autoroute?
    47 km is EUR2.10
    It's tolled at this level because it is not intended for use by commuter traffic.

It was built to allow trucks to access Dublin Port, using a relatively uncongested route.

The only way to keep it uncongested is to discourage other traffic from using it by setting tolls at a deliberately high level.
    the toll on the port tunnel is the same as on the westlink for 153/168 hours a week. Is the toll price on the westlink not intended for use by commuter traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,793 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its was built as a toll road. My post was replying to someone who seems to think that the always untolled sections of the M50 should be tolled for 'fairness' reasons.

Advertisement