Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bovril - it's taken me 7 years to notice...

Options
  • 09-05-2011 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭

... and now I'm not at all happy!

I was looking for something to make a savoury, low carb drink from, so turned to Bovril, which *used* to be a beef extract drink. It's been years since I had any. Reading the label, it's now (since 2004 I find, after investigating) a yeast extract drink.

Does anyone know of an existing beef extract drink, similar to what Bovril used to be? They re-introduced some beef content in 2006 (after beef exports were lifted from the UK), but it's still mostly yeast extract.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

A quick rummage around the depths of Wikipedia, and it seems that in 2004 it became a yeast extract drink and in 2006 it reverted to being a beef drink (except in the case of chicken bovril).

Have you looked at a current jar?

Their own site http://bovril.co.uk/content/nutrition/nutrition.pdf confirms that it's made with beef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

I love Bovril. Best drink EVER :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,420 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Bonox is another beef extract drink - made my Kraft afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

Bonox? Jesus that sounds more like a prescription drug or an ingredient for making bombs or something.

Advertisement