Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which network?

Options
  • 09-05-2011 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭

I'm considering switching to Vodafone if I get a Smartphone, as O2 have a very poor data plan.

However other things seem to be more expensive than Vodafone, especially texts.

I can't find any information on the data plan either. You don't have to pay a monthly fee, it's proper pay as you go? I'm a bit confused by it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Switching to prepay I assume?
    Vodafone do 100MB per day for 39c per day, taken from your credit only on the days you actually use the internet on your mobile.
    Texts wise, you have the standard on-network calls and texts or any network texts for €20 per month.

You could also look at Three, 500MB for €5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭CrystalLettuce

I'd rather stay on Pay as you go. I don't really make many calls. However if I could get a prepay that's good enough value that's be good. I only use about €10 credit a month, but if I could get something around €15 that had a data plan, that would be worth it.

The Vodafone one sounds decent. Currently with O2 pay as you go I pay 1 euro for 50 megs a day. Vodafone seem much more suited to casual usage, though it'll still be awkward if I need to watch a youtube video or something.

Do you know O2 do 700MB for €9.99 per month?
    You also have Tesco Mobile, €6.99 for 1GB. No free texts offer though.

Vodafone's offer would be good for occasional YouTube browsing, keeping a careful eye on your usage! Unfortunately if you want any significant amount of data, you have no choice but to go billpay.

Tesco Mobile uses the O2 Network doesn't it? It might not be a bad idea. It's much better value than the O2 plan.

Tesco Mobile uses the O2 Network doesn't it?

They do indeed!

• Advertisement

Does that mean say, if my Dad gets free calls to my number O2, he will retain that?

Also is there a way to just sign up for Tesco mobile's data package?

No, the free calls are to O2 customers only and you won't be classed as an O2 customer.

To sign up, you have to text off a shortcode to a number I think.

Balls. Do Vodafone have a similar offer?

Or Tesco Mobile in fact?

Balls. Do Vodafone have a similar offer?

Or Tesco Mobile in fact?
    Vodafone have a 5GB mobile broadband add-on which you could use (UNLESS you have an iPhone), but it is €20 per month. The 100MB/39c per day is the best they have.

Tesco Mobile do free calls and texts to other Tesco mobile users if you top-up €20 per month. Could be useful if your father is looking to switch over.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41 music crazy

02 simplicity 15 euro a month 150 texts and 150 calls each to any network for this price why switch?

02 simplicity 15 euro a month 150 texts and 150 calls each to any network for this price why switch?

Data plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

250mbs 150mins 150sms per month = 20 euro

Bit naff really...

Yes especially when 30 euro gets you all you can eat data, 350 units (can be broken down as 250 mins 200 sms) plus a free add on such as unlimited landline calls any time of day. All from Three on a sim only plan. Plus inclusive use of data and calls when in the UK and other european countries not to mention Australia. And you can use up to 50% of your units to call the uk from ireland

Bit naff really...

How much data are you looking for? The Three plan cookie mentions is superb, I'm on it myself, but it's double what you're looking to spend.

Kensington wrote: »
    How much data are you looking for? The Three plan cookie mentions is superb, I'm on it myself, but it's double what you're looking to spend.

I had bad experiences with 3 mobile broadband so I doubt I could get my dad to switch to them.

Another option which I think is better then the simplicity plans (the new ones are rubbish) is the O2 experience plan plus data add-on. For 20 euro every 30days you can get free O2 to O2 calls and texts (not availble on simplicity anymore) and 9.99 can be taken from the 20 euro for a 700mb data add-on. Leaving 10 euro for off network calls (since if you have a smart phone or use cabbage texter you can use the 250 webtexts for off network texting). Much cheaper and better and all on pre pay.

Well for an extra €5, with Meteor Bill Pay Lite, you get 200 minutes plus 200 texts and all calls and texts to Meteor and Emobile customers free.
    FlexiFix 25, also €20 per month from Three on a SIM-only plan gives 200 minutes, 3,000 texts to any network.

The new Simplicity plans are pretty poor to be honest, if they still had free O2 talk and text then maybe, otherwise there's far better value to be had out there.

Anyway to get back to the OP, I think Tesco mobile with the 1GB add-on or Vodafone's 100MB/39c per day if you need free texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭IrishPsychic

Tesco Mobile offer 1Gb for 6 Euro
    Top up by 10 Euro they give you another 10 = 20
    Then text Data to the number the give and that will deduct 6 Euro from your 20 leaving you with 14 Euro

NOW I WILL BE CHANGING OVER AS OF HORRIBLE EXPERIENCE AS YOU HAVE READ FROM MY PREVIOUS POSTS WITH ANOTHER NETWORK PROVIDER...

• Advertisement

I'd rather stay on Pay as you go. I don't really make many calls. However if I could get a prepay that's good enough value that's be good. I only use about €10 credit a month, but if I could get something around €15 that had a data plan, that would be worth it.

The Vodafone one sounds decent. Currently with O2 pay as you go I pay 1 euro for 50 megs a day. Vodafone seem much more suited to casual usage, though it'll still be awkward if I need to watch a youtube video or something.

From having a horrible experiece CrystalLettuce with another mobile provider ie 30 Euro gives you free Calls & Text And 250mb which I never go over as always on Wi Fi they made a mistake and over charged me by over 80 Euro
    They said it was correct and I had to launch an official complaint with ComReg...

I will be switching networks as I am not having this happen to me again so got a quote from Tesco Mobile

TOP UP BY 10 THEY GIVE YOU ANOTHER 10 = 20
    Text Data to the number they specify and 6 odd euro is deducted which gives you 1Gb which compared to what I pay 30 Euro for 250mb THAT IS FANTASTIC PRICE

So from the 20 Euro you have you are now left with 14 EURO To do as you please as you have signed up for the Data allowance of 1Gb which I think is excellent and have all ready looked into this plan and have e mailed Tesco Mobile...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,030 ✭✭✭angel01

What about 3? you could get a 30 day sim plan with all you can eat data :D

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

A big problem, which funnily enough could help you limit your options, is signal. Where I live O2 is the only reliable operator with a near full strength 3G signal. Sister is on eMobile which is OK, but meteor and vodafone are just plan desperate. No point having a smartphone out this way and be with them.

I'm near Oldcastle in Meath by the way.

angel01 wrote: »
    What about 3? you could get a 30 day sim plan with all you can eat data :D

Of course you can that is bill pay :)

I was speaking about Pre Pay :)

Macca3000 wrote: »
    Sister is on eMobile which is OK, but meteor and vodafone are just plan desperate..
    Emobile and Meteor use the same physical network :)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Macca3000

Kensington wrote: »
    Emobile and Meteor use the same physical network :)

I know. That's what I was getting at. Should have phrased it better. She jumped from meteor to eMobile because the signal was better. Can't see a reason for it. If anything Meteor should be better as it's the host network.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 100

Before switching, take a quick look at my vodafone and three experience.

Do Tesco Mobile do free online texts like the others too?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

If there are no free texts to other mobiles, then it'll work out as more expensive to me :E

Advertisement