Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anniefearon

Have gotten an A in all my biology test and got an A in the mocks then the leaving cert came along...heya C- if even. I took a chance and analysed last years papers and ruled out what i thought wouldn't come up. Of course my worst nightmare came true and the 7 chapters i left out came up. :( i was able to answer the recommended amount but not at all in depth. Those questions were awful ecology wasnt nice and where in the world was human reproduction and breathing and nutrition and THE HEART!! That experiment was a load of crap as well anyone else feel my pain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    F*ck it, I'll have a look in the book. Google is failing me miserably. I'm getting all sorts of answers

What exactly was the question? There are 20 amino acids, which are used in various combinations to produce every protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

Very good overall i thought...
    Thought genetics were lovely and 14 and 15 were good aswell.
    very happy with it.
    Hopefully A1

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

I'm a home ec person lol just shows how messed up i did in this cert 3 cheers for repeating

just because u didnt get that it doesnt mean ul be repeating..
    at the start i thought you said that u'll be repeating for the 3rd time.. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

MikeHough wrote: »
    14 and 15 were good

Loved those 2 questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

G.J. wrote: »
    I got:

25% Pink tall
    25% Pink short
    25% White tall
    25% White short

Lucky, I did a cross exactly like this one last night!

CrCwTt x CwCwtt will always come out in a 1:1:1:1 ratio.

i didn't put the percentage, should I have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

What a lovely exam. It shows that the SEC is moving away from predictive questions and is actually testing broad understanding while punishing those who cram the 5 "guaranteed" chapters. :rolleyes:

There was some iffy questions though.

Wtf was with the ducks? I said the males needed more food because they were larger and hence went further south to warmer climes with more abundant food.

Was that a really really big gall bladder or a liver? I thought the bile duct went to the gall bladder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anniefearon

Have gotten an A in all my biology test and got an A in the mocks then the leaving cert came along...heya C- if even. I took a chance and analysed last years papers and ruled out what i thought wouldn't come up. Of course my worst nightmare came true and the 7 chapters i left out came up. :( i was able to answer the recommended amount but not at all in depth. Those questions were awful ecology wasnt nice and where in the world was human reproduction and breathing and nutrition and THE HEART!! That experiment was a load of crap as well anyone else feel my pain

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Gordon Gecko

Thought it was quite trick in a few places myself. Hopefully August will bear good news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭GerardB

I got:

25% Pink tall
    25% Pink short
    25% White tall
    25% White short

Lucky, I did a cross exactly like this one last night!

CrCwTt x CwCwtt will always come out in a 1:1:1:1 ratio.

...what??

• Advertisement

xaoifsx wrote: »
    just because u didnt get that it doesnt mean ul be repeating..
    at the start i thought you said that u'll be repeating for the 3rd time.. :pac:

Oh no Overall I'm not entirely sure I think I messed up a few exams .

In my prees in the languages I went wrong in the orals .Aced them for the actual orals but Irish paper didn't go great.

Home ec Pre - elective let me down : studied that to a T and did well in the exam

Biology Pre - Barely passed and got 0 marks for section B . Tried all 3 experiments this time

For the Pree I was confident and then the actual results knocked me , so I'm reluctant to predict my results this early but likelyhood is I'll be repeating

Sparticle wrote: »
    Was that a really really big gall bladder or a liver? I thought the bile duct went to the gall bladder.

It goes to both, connecting the liver and gallbladder together and with the duodenum.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

Totally! I thought that it was a really unfair paper....... there goes my A1! :(

No full question or photo or respo! :( after all the work people put into those chapters.....genetics was a nice question and perhaps q 14 but pat from that i did not like the paper!

Hopefully August will bear good news.

Here's to hoping

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Sparkie93

weird paper bit of everything was thrown together i couild only answer 2 and a bit of the long questions but i done the experiments and SQ well will i pass:(

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

GerardB wrote: »
    ...what??

We were told not to use single letters capital and lower case because it can show dominance over another.

Cr (Red), Cw (White) and CrCw (Pink).

anyone else feel my pain

I feel your pain and share your tears

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

We were told not to use single letters capital and lower case because it can show dominance over another.

Cr (Red), Cw (White) and CrCw (Pink).
    You won't lose marks for it will you? I had like RrSs.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

Cydoniac wrote: »

Nah, I don't think so. Our teacher just wanted clarity on everything. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

No, you'll be fine i'd say. They gave you the right to choose your own symbols. So long as you defined what each letter stood for in a key before you started doing out the cross you should be ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 es2003

I had RrTt. Never did it any other way.

I hated that exam :(

No, you shouldn't, as long as you stated the colours of the offspring at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 fred09

if you were able to answer all the questions that needed to be answered you clearly didnt get a C

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭GerardB

ohh okay. i don't really think it matters if the dominance is incomplete and you still use a small letter and a capital letter, saw a very similar example of todays one in some book i think that still used small and capital letters, as long as you get the phenotype right.

Oh no Overall I'm not entirely sure I think I messed up a few exams .

In my prees in the languages I went wrong in the orals .Aced them for the actual orals but Irish paper didn't go great.

Home ec Pre - elective let me down : studied that to a T and did well in the exam

Biology Pre - Barely passed and got 0 marks for section B . Tried all 3 experiments this time

For the Pree I was confident and then the actual results knocked me , so I'm reluctant to predict my results this early but likelyhood is I'll be repeating

in home.ec i did good in the mock....but thats coz the teacher hinted what would come up in the elective..bad move from her..but she only did that because we hadnt even started the elective then..ugh
    in the real thing i messed up my home.ec bad..
    in biology mock i studied hard for it..just scraped a pass..
    i defo passed in this bio exam but i want an a..i worked so hard for it and i aint going to get it!!

yeah i m not predicting my results either anymore...because i dont want to be disapointed!!
    well you dont know that you are going to repeat yet..untill you get your results!! :)
    the weird weird thing is though..i studied so so much for biology..then home.ec and they are the two exams i messed up on...so i dont know its just so weird that that happened to me!! ho hum :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

In hindsight, it's a shame the mocks were so easy (which they were - 95%+ in both) they just didn't test us like the real exam did. The first mock I did had literally nothing on plants, maybe 1 part of a long question but this one focused very heavily on plants which people don't really like. So it just shows you, you can't think just coz you did well in the mocks that you'll do well in the LC.

xaoifsx wrote: »
    in home.ec i did good in the mock....but thats coz the teacher hinted what would come up in the elective..bad move from her..but she only did that because we hadnt even started the elective then..ugh
    in the real thing i messed up my home.ec bad..
    in biology mock i studied hard for it..just scraped a pass..
    i defo passed in this bio exam but i want an a..i worked so hard for it and i aint going to get it!!

yeah i m not predicting my results either anymore...because i dont want to be disapointed!!
    well you dont know that you are going to repeat yet..untill you get your results!! :)
    the weird weird thing is though..i studied so so much for biology..then home.ec and they are the two exams i messed up on...so i dont know its just so weird that that happened to me!! ho hum :confused:

Our teacher hinted about lipids coming up in our pree , as for the rest she left us to our own devices , I wrote 14 pages for English
    Home ec and Biology are the 2 subjects I studied remotely well for and its weird because I didn't study for french and Yet I know I got an A
    I have religion on the 24th and its hard to get an A in that so I'm aiming for a good c or maybe a B depends how I can cram in 8 days .
    if I predict my results or If I don't either way I'm not building my hopes up.
    If I dont get that all important FETAC course acceptance in the post tomorrow I'll be adding to the 14 % on the dole come september

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

I didn't study for french and Yet I know I got an A

Dangerous...

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

In hindsight, it's a shame the mocks were so easy (which they were - 95%+ in both) they just didn't test us like the real exam did. The first mock I did had literally nothing on plants, maybe 1 part of a long question but this one focused very heavily on plants which people don't really like. So it just shows you, you can't think just coz you did well in the mocks that you'll do well in the LC.

there wasn't really that much plants...... just a question (half of 11 and half of 15) in full which is usual.

• Advertisement

Our teacher hinted about lipids coming up in our pree , as for the rest she left us to our own devices , I wrote 14 pages for English
    Home ec and Biology are the 2 subjects I studied remotely well for and its weird because I didn't study for french and Yet I know I got an A
    I have religion on the 24th and its hard to get an A in that so I'm aiming for a good c or maybe a B depends how I can cram in 8 days .
    if I predict my results or If I don't either way I'm not building my hopes up.
    If I dont get that all important FETAC course acceptance in the post tomorrow I'll be adding to the 14 % on the dole come september

...weird. ya i wrote around about the same for english
    and im pretty certain that i got an a in french too..in pass though! i didnt do a tap for it really because i wasnt going to count it..and then maths messed up on me..pass.. and so it worked out in the end that i did very well in french!!
    and i have religion too...
    sorry when i was reading that i was like...this is me!! ;)
    theres no way i would repeat though..i would find some way out of not repeating with whatever i get..but i think il do okay! :o

Advertisement