Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

Dangerous...

how's it dangerous?
    I speak french alot and Always got A's in class without studying

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

14a too

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

14a too

that's the photosynthesis experiment.

I'm betting a lot of people got A's in Biology class to until today. I'm just saying, you're better off thinking "i think i got an a" than saying I know. It always seems to come back to bite ya... but if you did, you did, fair play. I also really liked the paper and "think" I got an A :D

oh ya fair play, i didn't even do it but right you are! i guess there wasn't as much on plants as i thought - still difficult tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 TouchdownKate-x

I thought the paper was fine.
    A bit unusual in that there was no reproduction.
    The experiment questions were also a bit odd but I think it was all fairly do-able, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭szybki

biology was one of the easiest exams i've ever seen before . But .... im so stupid ... i misread last question in 15c cuz of the time pressure...

Instead - give two examples of harmful members of the kingdom fungi
    I read - give two examples of harmful membranes of the kingdom fungi...
    Time was up and I didnt write anything except rhizopus .... as i didn;t kno any FUNGI MEMBRANES .... is silly thing ...and so enoying can they take off much points from me #?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Valin

Anyone else think some of the questions were really stating the obvious?

Like what do auxins and hormones have in common?
    Answer: They are both chemicals. They are both effective in tiny quantities.

Really weird stuff. Also did no one else say for the ducks that the females have an extra layer of fat so they can survive in the colder conditions? I thought that was a pretty stand out point.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

Valin wrote: »
    Anyone else think some of the questions were really stating the obvious?

Like what do auxins and hormones have in common?
    Answer: They are both chemicals. They are both effective in tiny quantities.

Really weird stuff. Also did no one else say for the ducks that the females have an extra layer of fat so they can survive in the colder conditions? I thought that was a pretty stand out point.

crap i totally got that auxin question wrong.. but that was my weakest question and i did that last

and yes i said the duck fat thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Some bits were strangely particular too, like the amount of ammino acids there are. I said 21. There's 20 *facepalm*

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Valin

xaoifsx wrote: »
    crap i totally got that auxin question wrong.. but that was my weakest question and i did that last

and yes i said the duck fat thing :)

I wouldn't worry about it, totally stupid question. I had to read it twice like! It was almost as if they were asking 'What do Coke and Pepsi have in common?' Answer: 'They are both liquids', 'They are both brown in colour.' The one thing about the bio exam that annoys me is when they assume we're stupid and it just confuses things more!

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I got an A2 in it last year and I've repeated this year. I think 2010 saw a big shake-up in the Biology paper in general and that continued this year. Section B and even C has shown that you really need to know your experiments well.

However I don't think this year's exam was a great one. The questions on Section A were, in my opinion, a little ridiculous at time, such as how many amino acids are there. That's such a tiny aspect of proteins themselves. I think I got it in saying 20 but I'm really annoyed that good memory of reading that one line served me better than studying protein strucure, amino acid structure, protein test chemicals, the liver, deamination... It just annoys me. I hope I at least get the A2 again but I'd really like the A... And giving the ecology definitions like that, sure someone off the street could have done it.

Section B was, quite frankly, a bit ridiculous. Far too much devoted to the scientific method, and I'm not complaining, I did study it. And in general there were lots of questions on the paper about variables in the experiment and answering only one. It seems to me that people who killed themselves studying the meaty stuff like photo, respo, defence system, digestive system, nervous, musculoskeletal, weren't rewarded. I really feel sorry for people that covered those trying to just pass the paper.

I think I did okay and I had time for everything- but I don't think it was a good paper at all. Ecology crept into too many questions and at the same time was too vague on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

What about the question about children's body temperature being slightly higher than adults? I almost wrote that it's because of the kinetic energy released from their more active lifestyle, but that sounded wanky and wrong. I settled on it being that they had faster metabolisms? I don't even know if that's true.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

Does anyone have the answers to the short questions yet? Like has anyone gone through it with a teacher and knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭janja93

I thought the paper was fine to be honest, and thats without a huge amount of work..

Valin wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about it, totally stupid question. I had to read it twice like! It was almost as if they were asking 'What do Coke and Pepsi have in common?' Answer: 'They are both liquids', 'They are both brown in colour.' The one thing about the bio exam that annoys me is when they assume we're stupid and it just confuses things more!

well i think i totally messed up that question anyway..i didnt feel comfortable with it but i did every question so i hope i dont have to count it XD

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

The short answer question 1 only asked you to answer 5 of the questions, so if you got the amino acid wrong and the rest right, it's full marks!

And was it the male ducks that could go further or the female ducks?

G.J. wrote: »
    The short answer question 1 only asked you to answer 5 of the questions, so if you got the amino acid wrong and the rest right, it's full marks!

And was it the male ducks that could go further or the female ducks?

female goes further

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TouchdownKate-x

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    My jaw dropped when I discovered that, in the middle of a very easy excretion question, I had to draw a ****ing kidney? WTH??? Our teacher said they'd never asked that and I spent ages studying off the diagram of the Nephron...made a good attempt at it though I suppose :rolleyes:

Plus you had to draw a bloody pelvis under it...wtf...

You didn't have to draw the nephron? That was on the paper?
    It was the kidney itself, showing medulla, cortex, pelvis, renal artery and renal vein, page 317 in Biology by Michael O' Callaghan...no?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

G.J. wrote: »

I didn't even see that!! You made my day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

female goes further

Damn, I wrote it as if the male went further. Grr, damn my misreading. >.>

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

What was the answer to the amino acid one anyways? I said 21
    Also what question was the duck one in. I can't remember seeing any duck question.

female goes further

" In some species of migratory ducks in the northern hemisphere it is found that the wintering grounds of the males lie further south than those of the females "

ya i had to read so many questions so many times because i misread alot..it was confusing like..

You didn't have to draw the nephron? That was on the paper?
    It was the kidney itself, showing medulla, cortex, pelvis, renal artery and renal vein, page 317 in Biology by Michael O' Callaghan...no?
    Didn't have to show the renal artery and vein. Fairly sure of that.

Am I right in thinking that the Renal Artery is derived from the Aorta?

doctorg wrote: »
    " In some species of migratory ducks in the northern hemisphere it is found that the wintering grounds of the males lie further south than those of the females "

oh i meant the females went further north...sorry.. BAHHHHHHHHH im so confused now

mockshelp wrote: »
    What was the answer to the amino acid one anyways? I said 21
    Also what question was the duck one in. I can't remember seeing any duck question.

First long question.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Patriciamc93

female goes further

i thought that it was the male as they were in the northern hemisphere but he could go further south! :confused:

PJelly wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking that the Renal Artery is derived from the Aorta?

Yea I said that too, its an offshoot of the Aorta!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

so many ducks :rolleyes:

What was the mineral in plants and what did it do? (Very first short question... part b I think!)

Advertisement