Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Valin

G.J. wrote: »
    Damn, I wrote it as if the male went further. Grr, damn my misreading. >.>

I'm almost positive it was the females do not go as far south. Therefore the males go further? That was the only reasonable way to explain that the females had more fat to keep them warm at a colder climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

doctorg wrote: »
    " In some species of migratory ducks in the northern hemisphere it is found that the wintering grounds of the males lie further south than those of the females "

YES! *Does a little dance*

Thank you for removing that niggling thought from my mind! XD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

xaoifsx wrote: »
    ...weird. ya i wrote around about the same for english
    and im pretty certain that i got an a in french too..in pass though! i didnt do a tap for it really because i wasnt going to count it..and then maths messed up on me..pass.. and so it worked out in the end that i did very well in french!!
    and i have religion too...
    sorry when i was reading that i was like...this is me!! ;)
    theres no way i would repeat though..i would find some way out of not repeating with whatever i get..but i think il do okay! :o

I do pass french too .Dreading Religion though seriously :(

As for the guy below You're right I shouldnt be cocky about it cos it may just bite me . I'm just happy with the fact some people were saying it was impossible and I found it easy cos I was the only one miserable after exam when they were gloating about their A's and B's expected

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭bridgetown1

What is the general feeling about Section B? Especially Q7?

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

polka dot wrote: »
    so many ducks :rolleyes:

What was the mineral in plants and what did it do? (Very first short question... part b I think!)

Magnesium required to make chlorophyll and nitrate ions to make proteins? Are those right.... anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

polka dot wrote: »
    so many ducks :rolleyes:

What was the mineral in plants and what did it do? (Very first short question... part b I think!)

I had Magnesium it needed for chlorophyll formation

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

stupid ducks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 shan007

anyone know what the hormone was that controlled how permeable the collecting ducts in the nephron were? I couldn't for the life of me remember it!

shan007 wrote: »
    anyone know what the hormone was that controlled how permeable the collecting ducts in the nephron were? I couldn't for the life of me remember it!

I think it is A.D.H

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

shan007 wrote: »
    ADH
    Anti Diuretic Hormone

• Advertisement

Valin wrote: »
    I'm almost positive it was the females do not go as far south. Therefore the males go further? That was the only reasonable way to explain that the females had more fat to keep them warm at a colder climate.

NO! ****

I read it as if they flew to the ****ing southern hemisphere. OMG I'm laughing at my own stupidity! XD

Ugggggh I wrote that the male ducks needed warmer temperatures so that they're enzymes would function properly, and for efficient sperm production. Yep, I rambled on for multiple sentences about duck sperm. Duck sperm.

What did people say for the other ecology questions? One on migratory organisms, greater variety of herbaceous plants, can't remember the rest..

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

A really lovely paper, and I'll be really surprised if the same percentage as previous years fail it this year. It was more than fair, and I was extremely happy with it.

aranciata wrote: »
    Ugggggh I wrote that the male ducks needed warmer temperatures so that they're enzymes would function properly, and for efficient sperm production. Yep, I rambled on for multiple sentences about duck sperm. Duck sperm.

Doesn't sperm need colder temperatures for formation! :P

aranciata wrote: »

What did people say for the other ecology questions? One on migratory organisms, greater variety of herbaceous plants, can't remember the rest..

I was going to say that too! XD

PJelly wrote: »
    ADH
    Anti Diuretic Hormone

Ahh I had that down and I crossed it out! Oh well it was a lovely paper overall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Sparticle wrote: »
    Was that a really really big gall bladder or a liver? I thought the bile duct went to the gall bladder.

It was a gall bladder :)

i cant wait to see the marking scheme for the ducks.. the world of biology will be at peace then...

yeah you're right. i'm not even going to get attempt marks, am i?

are there attempt marks for biology even?

*Goes to the park to feed ducks poisoned bread*

That'll explain the weird migratory patterns....

• Advertisement

Alibear wrote: »
    It was a gall bladder :)

i wrote liver.........................floop it

I first that male ducks needed the colder temperatures for sperm production. Then realised that they're in the HOTTER climate.

So wrote, that the male ducks are stronger... and therefore have the ability to reach the warmer countries. Crap.

The only person in my class who sounds like he wrote the right thing, wrote: The males have less plumage and therefore can't handle the colder temperatures.

I was thinking about how the males are going to the hotter places. Never thought that the females stay in the colder temperatures!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TouchdownKate-x

Didn't have to show the renal artery and vein. Fairly sure of that.

Am I right in thinking that the Renal Artery is derived from the Aorta?

They didn't tell you to draw the vein/artery but pretty sure if you drew the right diagram you'd have to put them in.

Oh no I did too

They didn't tell you to draw the vein/artery but pretty sure if you drew the right diagram you'd have to put them in.
    I kinda had them in, but didn't label them.
    My writing is awful, I can't help it. So naturally my diagrams look bad too. I have the right ares labeled, so hopefully he can guess that the blobs beside the bigger blob are the vein and artery going into the kidney :D

The marking scheme will probably say:

Gall bladder or Liver

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AimeeD

For the sterilise soil i wrote boil it? that sterilises it dosnt it? and for the ducks i said the mom might have a baby or be pregnant...didnt love that paper tbh....wanted an a1 dont know if i got it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TouchdownKate-x

I kinda had them in, but didn't label them.
    My writing is awful, I can't help it. So naturally my diagrams look bad too. I have the right ares labeled, so hopefully he can guess that the blobs beside the bigger blob are the vein and artery going into the kidney :D

Yes it wasn't necessary to label them probably because they didn't say so. Not entirely sure. I'd say you'll be fine with that though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭macskanadrag

So wrote, that the male ducks are stronger... and therefore have the ability to reach the warmer countries. Crap.

That's what i wrote as well, they can travel further. Which is true. Maybe the females have more fat because they adapted to the colder temperature which is the furthest they could make it. No? No? :pac: I'd give marks for that. I think they should. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭seanh12

Alibear wrote: »
    A really lovely paper, and I'll be really surprised if the same percentage as previous years fail it this year. It was more than fair, and I was extremely happy with it.

Did you have the same paper as the rest of us?

Advertisement