Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

G.J. wrote: »
    The marking scheme will probably say:

Gall bladder or Liver

thats what i sorta thought... i wrote liver in the end because that would be a HUGE gall bladder compared to pancreas..

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

Alibear wrote: »
    It was a gall bladder :)

It was huge though. I put down liver. I wrote on the paper "too big to be the gall bladder". Gall bladders are smaller organs than that. The one in the diagram was huge.

Check out this image. I've a feeling it was liver.

human-gallbladder.gif

EDIT: Its annoying me now and I know its probably not even worth a percent. I have a relation who is a doctor so I'm going to ask him when the paper goes online

• Registered Users Posts: 15 TouchdownKate-x

I was real proud of myself for saying that females had more fat than males so were better insulated and could withstand colder temperatues :P
    That better be right!:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

xaoifsx wrote: »
    i wrote liver.........................floop it

thats me -3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 shan007

For that duck question I just said that the males were stronger and could travel further then the females.. I had do idea that females had more fat then males. But we didnt study ducks so would we really be expected to know that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Yes it wasn't necessary to label them probably because they didn't say so. Not entirely sure. I'd say you'll be fine with that though!
    I was tempted to write "Clearly not an artist!" beside it. But wasn't sure if the examiner would be in such a good mood after trying to read my chicken scratch writing. Suppose my diagrams in the mock which looked more like oranges than veins (my writing is THAT bad) still got full marks.
    Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

irish_man wrote: »
    It was huge though. I put down liver. I wrote on the paper "too big to be the gall bladder". Gall bladders are smaller organs than that. The one in the diagram was huge.

Well both answers can be right as the bile duct splits into two, One goes to the liver and other to the gall bladder.

shan007 wrote: »
    For that duck question I just said that the males were stronger and could travel further then the females.. I had do idea that females had more fat then males. But we didnt study ducks so would we really be expected to know that?

thats actually true... i just said the fat thing because human females have more fat than human males...

but yeah...how could they ask about the duck anatomy when we dont even study it... féckin hell.. ughhhhhhhhhhhh

STUPID DUCKS!

irish_man wrote: »

human-gallbladder.gif

EDIT: Its annoying me now and I know its probably not even worth a percent. I have a relation who is a doctor so I'm going to ask him when the paper goes online
    I also thought that it was a liver for a min. But the bile duct doesn't go directly from the liver to the intestine (or near the pancreas, wherever it gets dropped off). It goes to the gall bladder. And the tube from the bag on the diagram went straight to the intestine.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

regarding the gall bladder/ liver dilemma: i don't know why they made it a circle (making us think it wasn't the liver), yet at the same time giant (making us think it wasn't the gall bladder). i ended up putting down gall bladder though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭michaelm82803

Ahhhhhh i put the renal arteriole and the renal artery as the 2 vessels because i thought technically the aorta divides into the renal artery before it enters the kidney and then the renal arteriole.. no? I had aorta down first but scratched it out :confused: Does anyone know if i might still get marks for that?

i say they gave both characteristics so it could end up being either answer......

i hope for all of us!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

Is the gallbladder on the syllabus? I don't think there was anything about it in my revision books : / And I certainly don't remember coming across it... Damn, I'm getting hung up over the 4/5 small questions that I'm not sure whether I got right or wrong.

For the feedback mechanism of a hormone I said prolactin inhibits the production of follicle stimulating hormone... Will this suffice? Or was it looking for the entire run of inhibition for progesterone, oestrogen, LH and FSH? It couldn't have been worth that much marks

Ahhhhhh i put the renal arteriole and the renal artery as the 2 vessels because i thought technically the aorta divides into the renal artery before it enters the kidney and then the renal arteriole.. no? I had aorta down first but scratched it out :confused: Does anyone know if i might still get marks for that?
    If you lightly mark it out and leave it? Yes.
    If you lightly mark it out and write a different answer instead? No.

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    Is the gallbladder on the syllabus? I don't think there was anything about it in my revision books : / And I certainly don't remember coming across it... Damn, I'm getting hung up over the 4/5 small questions that I'm not sure whether I got right or wrong.

For the feedback mechanism of a hormone I said prolactin inhibits the production of follicle stimulating hormone... Will this suffice? Or was it looking for the entire run of inhibition for progesterone, oestrogen, LH and FSH? It couldn't have been worth that much marks

i wrote everythign to be on the safe side..in regards to the p,o,LH,FSH..as i had the time !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

At first glance I thought it was gall bladder, but something in the phrasing of the question struck me (I can't quite remember what it was - the paper should be up soon) and I put down liver. The thing in the diagram was also far, FAR too big to be a gall bladder.

I wonder why they had such a lazy-ass diagram in the first place anyway.

For hormone feedback I did ADH in the kidney. What reason did anyone write down for glucose and protein not being in urine? I wrote down most proteins are too big to filtered and those that are filtered should be reabsorbed by the proximal tubule and same with glucose.

Overall though, lovely paper imo.

jumpguy wrote: »
    At first glance I thought it was gall bladder, but something in the phrasing of the question struck me (I can't quite remember what it was - the paper should be up soon) and I put down liver. The thing in the diagram was also far, FAR too big to be a gall bladder.

I wonder why they had such a lazy-ass diagram in the first place anyway.
    I think they just rob diagrams from other places and put questions to match the labels that are there already.

Like, in one diagram I remember noticing another label that was just cut off at the side, making me think that they were just cut and pasted from other places.

Also, I think the loop of henle was labeled but there wasn't a question even asked on it.

jumpguy wrote: »
    For hormone feedback I did ADH in the kidney. What reason did anyone write down for glucose and protein not being in urine? I wrote down most proteins are too big to filtered and those that are filtered should be reabsorbed by the proximal tubule and same with glucose.

Overall though, lovely paper imo.
    I did thyroxine.

I said that both of them were unusual. The proteins because they're too big to go through the bowmans capsule. And glucose because while it CAN be filtered through, it should be re-absorbed before it reaches the urine,

For the anabolic/catabolic bit, did anyone else get
    Anabolic
    Anabolic
    Anabolic?
    I thought it was a bit strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

Awful paper - was looking for an A1, I think I'll be lucky to get a B3. What the the hell was with the experiment section - Ooh, I know what would be clever, we'll put in an experiment not on the course, and expect them to have a jolly old stab at it! I expect the examiner will be laughing at my paper - "boil the compost", but I thought the point of compost was having the good microorganisms in it, to nourish the plants!

The short questions weren't exactly simple either - I've done all the exam questions from the past papers, which were a breeze compared to this!

Reproduction wasn't there! The Ecology question was odd, the Genetic Cross was a nightmare, and the question had about 12 definitions to write out.

A terrible paper, all in all, I hope there's outrage. Incidentally, what a rubbish diagram that was - you know, in the digestive system question.

God I feel like crap... Currently drowning my sorrows in copious volumes of tea :(

PJelly wrote: »
    I did thyroxine.

I said that both of them were unusual. The proteins because they're too big to go through the bowmans capsule. And glucose because while it CAN be filtered through, it should be re-absorbed before it reaches the urine,

Anabolic
    Anabolic
    Anabolic?

i did
    anabolic
    anabolic
    catabolic

i dont member what the cata was for but i remember putting it in that order..all i know is i was sure for what cata was..
    i think it was something about big molecules being broken..anyone remeber?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I said boil the compost. :o

What was the actual answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

i got
    anabolic
    anabolic
    anabolic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭macskanadrag

Anabolic
    Anabolic
    Anabolic?

I wrote same for the urine and
    same for the anabolic/catabolic question.

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    i got
    anabolic
    anabolic
    anabolic

This is what I got, too.

also... did anyone get caught out with the population/community in the short questions.. i wrote down community first and then i read the paper and i was like hang on a minute..and i wrote population down then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭macskanadrag

i did
    anabolic
    anabolic
    catabolic

i dont member what the cata was for but i remember putting it in that order..all i know is i was sure for what cata was..

The last one was saying something like "the substrate consists of smaller molecules than the products", ie the products are bigger.

also... did anyone get caught out with the population/community in the short questions.. i wrote down community first and then i read the paper and i was like hang on a minute..and i wrote population down then

Yeah, I think the point was to catch people out. I spent like 5 minutes trying to decide which to put down. Put down population in the end.

i did
    anabolic
    anabolic
    catabolic

Your catabolic was, when the product is bigger than the substrate.
    Surely that's anabolic? Building a smaller substrate into a larger product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AimeeD

I said boil too :)

• Advertisement

flyaway. wrote: »
    Yeah, I think the point was to catch people out. I spent like 5 minutes trying to decide which to put down. Put down population in the end.

well i guessed that..and i was like muwahhaha you can't catch me out on this one!!!!! ;)
    Your catabolic was, when the product is bigger than the substrate.
    Surely that's anabolic? Building a smaller substrate into a larger product.

uhh...floop it, i must of mis read the question...........caught me out there!! :o

Advertisement