Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jkyle

I got all 3 to be anabolic. In the kidney question i said that it wasn't normal for protein or glucose to be present in the urine...anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

ah nuts..

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pons

what was the answer for 2 features of a denatured enzyme?!
    n two uses of a waterbath?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 pons

jkyle wrote: »
    I got all 3 to be anabolic. In the kidney question i said that it wasn't normal for protein or glucose to be present in the urine...anyone else?

yes that was the right answer!!

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

jkyle wrote: »

I didn't do this question but further back in the thread people were saying that glucose being present in the urine was a sign of diabetes so I think you got it right :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

pons wrote: »
    what was the answer for 2 features of a denatured enzyme?!
    n two uses of a waterbath?
    I said...
    Lost its shape.
    Unable to preform it's job.

Keeping temperature constant
    (This is grasping at straws) Heating solutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KatieD.

Have gotten an A in all my biology test and got an A in the mocks then the leaving cert came along...heya C- if even. I took a chance and analysed last years papers and ruled out what i thought wouldn't come up. Of course my worst nightmare came true and the 7 chapters i left out came up. :( i was able to answer the recommended amount but not at all in depth. Those questions were awful ecology wasnt nice and where in the world was human reproduction and breathing and nutrition and THE HEART!! That experiment was a load of crap as well anyone else feel my pain

I'm in the exact same boat. A in the mocks and then this pathetic paper comes along. I hope there's uproar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jkyle

oh cool thanks :) took me a while to figure it out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

My Dad said UV irradiation :confused:

However my friend said spray it with disinfectant - I had an immediate mental picture of a massive heap of compost, and a man in spectacles and a white lab coat spraying it with a tiny bottle of Dettol :pac:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who said "boil" :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Tilpop

For the duck one I said to reduce competition for food and shelter since they'd be more spread out.

I also thought the genetics question was a -lot- nicer than the other years.

• Advertisement

Oenone wrote: »
    My Dad said UV irradiation :confused:

However my friend said spray it with disinfectant - I had an immediate mental picture of a massive heap of compost, and a man in spectacles and a white lab coat spraying it with a tiny bottle of Dettol :pac:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who said "boil" :o

I had a mental picture of my mam at the cooker boiling compost. :P

A couple of sources on google seem to be saying you roast it in the oven. :confused:

flyaway. wrote: »
    I had a mental picture of my mam at the cooker boiling compost. :P

A couple of sources on google seem to be saying you roast it in the oven. :confused:

Haha! Me too - sort of stirring it on the hob in a colossal saucepan, "Stick a bit o' compost on there!" :D

Yeah he said that too. Personally, I think our boiling method has great scientific merit :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Omorish

That paper was the oddest paper I've seen. I did well in Section A & B. But in Section C.... I'm only confident with two questions. Hated Ecology and the last question was okay, but never revised it. :( i just waffled. I was expecting for Human reproduction and skeletal and muscular system to come up. never did. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

Paper is now available online - http://www.examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=en&sc=ep&formAction=subject

Plenty of comparing will be going on in this thread until August! :D

Omorish wrote: »
    That paper was the oddest paper I've seen. I did well in Section A & B. But in Section C.... I'm only confident with two questions. Hated Ecology and the last question was okay, but never revised it. :( i just waffled. I was expecting for Human reproduction and skeletal and muscular system to come up. never did. :(

Yeah the Ecology question was odd :(

How much did everyone write for the Tension-Cohesion question - you know, just when you describe what happens?

So many definitions in the Genetics question, you know the last bit where it says write a sentence on each. So I just rushed and did the tropism question in the last 15 minutes :/

I hated that paper so much. Dreading chemistry...

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

looking at the pictures..... who in god's name drew them because every single one is terrible. i cant talk but at least get someone who can draw!!!

I thought they were fine... Far easier to distinguish certain parts than in the mocks!

xaoifsx wrote: »
    looking at the pictures..... who in god's name drew them because every single one is terrible. i cant talk but at least get someone who can draw!!!

Yeah, I skipped that question because I couldn't understand the effin' diagram :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 shan007

Why is diffusion alternatively known as passive transport? What did ye say for that one?

To be honest, I've never heard of tension-cohesion whatever. O_O Didn't bother doing it. And as for genetics, I never did it...pssh. I skipped a load of parts in question 15. and for ecology, I realised how I almost did every question wrong. I only liked the question with the nephron and that's it ! this is too upsetting... I am dreading chemistry aswell. sigh*

• Advertisement

No energy is required for molecules to move in or out of the cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

I must say after looking at that paper I'm now glad I dropped to ordinary, what a strange paper this year, the questions are worded so different to previous years and noting came up up what I studied so im glad

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Diffusion is known as passive transport because it doesn't require energy. I think people should just forget about it at this stage and move on. No point scrutinising every bit of it..

Ha, I just guessed the passive transport thing. Last night, someone on here on another thread was saying how they wish they could just hit their Bio book against their head and for the information to go in and someone replied with something like ''That would require energy so that would be active transport'' so I figured passive transport was without energy?

Oh Boards. :P

just looked at my book. It says. Diffusion is caused by kinetic energy of molecules. These molecules are moving randomly and will spread out of they can. Due to the movement not needing external energy, it is said to be passive.

Ok, I completely answered that wrong. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

How come everyone's going on about the Ducks? :D The marking scheme won't have an answer, it'll have something like "blah blah or explained".. if your reason seems valid you'll get the marks surely? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Also, I wonder is there anyone out there who LOVES biology sooo much that they'd do out the answers??? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

I should stop looking at the exam paper.
    I misread the kidney question about the exocrine as endocrine.
    Whoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

Wait, is it not normal for there to be traces of protein in urine? I said yes because urea is broken down amino acids. >.<

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭macskanadrag

G.J. wrote: »
    Wait, is it not normal for there to be traces of protein in urine? I said yes because urea is broken down amino acids. >.<

Nope, that's amino acids, not proteins... There shouldn't be proteins in the urine.

Advertisement