Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

When do they upload th marking schemes ?

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Alibear

biggaman wrote: »
    Also, I wonder is there anyone out there who LOVES biology sooo much that they'd do out the answers??? :D
    Well I'm all set for my last exam, which is chemistry on Tuesday, so I just *might* do it out.

After we get our results in August :(

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

That won't be until after we get our results, I'd say. They don't even have the full marking scheme complete until after the papers have been corrected because it's subject to change depending on how people are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭Oenone

Omorish wrote: »
    To be honest, I've never heard of tension-cohesion whatever. O_O Didn't bother doing it. And as for genetics, I never did it...pssh. I skipped a load of parts in question 15. and for ecology, I realised how I almost did every question wrong. I only liked the question with the nephron and that's it ! this is too upsetting... I am dreading chemistry aswell. sigh*

Oh. Well I bluffed on what I vaguely remembered from class for tension-cohesion. My paper is just complete bluff :(

Don't worry, I did shockingly too. I analysed the papers for what I thought would come up - I mean, I predicted English, Irish and French perfectly :(

It was awful. They'll have to mark it easily won't they? I couldn't do so many questions. Shocking.

I'm glad I'm not the only one :( Thank you boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭biggaman

Alibear wrote: »
    Well I'm all set for my last exam, which is chemistry on Tuesday, so I just *might* do it out.
    Mr. (/Ms.) prepared i see ;) fair play!
    It'd be ehhhm... good practise in case you need to repeat? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Omorish

I got Anabolic, catabolic and anabolic.... & yeah I said that too. Protien should not be present in the urine because protien should be broken down to urea in the liver while glucose in the urine is a sign of diabetes. ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

Ya where's someone like maybe memories to do out the solutions when you need them

A lot of people were caught out on that biology paper and it was really quite odd. The structure and the way the questions were really different. So I really do hope they'll mark that easily. At this point, I`m hoping for at least a C or a low B. :(

A lot of people were caught out on that biology paper and it was really quite odd. The structure and the way the questions were really different. So I really do hope they'll mark that easily. At this point, I`m hoping for at least a C or a low B. :(

Me too :(

Bye bye A1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

Nope, that's amino acids, not proteins... There shouldn't be proteins in the urine.

really? Great, thats what i said, thanks. But i just said it would be reabsorbed or that they would too large to be filtered? I didn't know what to say, i presume one those too.

Otherwise, WHAT an easy paper. Seriously why is there THREE hours for this exam?? I was done the required number of questions in an hour and a half, decided to do the rest. Every single question done in time, no problem.

They do realise that people DO look at marking schemes, we realise we get marks for correct words, not paragraphs - right?
    If you'd practiced your papers and revised last night, it was fine.

I was one of two people left in the exam hall after 12; I attempted every question too.

I just said that children are more active than adults. and that's true. :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ConnieBarry

G.J. wrote: »
    Wait, is it not normal for there to be traces of protein in urine? I said yes because urea is broken down amino acids. >.<

I SAID THAT TOO. i explained how the amino acids contained nitrogeon, and how it was poisinous, and how it needed to be removed? so that HAS to be a part of protein that is excreted?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

I went into how their brain isn't fully devolped and they cannot control their internal temperature like adults which can cause them to lose control over their temp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

For the ducks question i said both that the females want to raise their young in a more temperate environment and that the males might want to intercept the females when they travel south during migration...kinda guessed it though...

Plus, IT IS normal for urine to have protein because proteins cannot be filtered and re-absorbed and are pished out.

I said no. Because protien should be broken down into Urea in the liver ?

For the children question, I just said that they have a faster heart rate, therefore blood (carrying heat) is pumped around their bodies faster, keeping the extremities and the actual body warmer than it would be in an adult :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I said they have a higher metabolism because they're hyper backstards!

Well I didn't really say that... But y'know yourself...

Were those reactions all 'anabolic'?

I love biology! I'm actually a little depressed that it's over.... That makes me sound so uncool :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭macskanadrag

really? Great, thats what i said, thanks. But i just said it would be reabsorbed or that they would too large to be filtered? I didn't know what to say, i presume one those too.

Proteins are too big to pass into the glomerular filtrate to start with so there shouldn't be any in the urine. Amino acids and other nitrogen compounds such as urea (someone else said it), yeah sure, but not the big protein molecules.

But i don't know how easy the paper was :) Maybe easy not to fail, but i'm not too sure about the A1 i'd been hoping for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

I got Anabolic, catabolic and anabolic.... & yeah I said that too. Protien should not be present in the urine because protien should be broken down to urea in the liver while glucose in the urine is a sign of diabetes. ^^

i said all anabolic? I know it seems unlikely but thats the only correct answer i could see.
    I always forget how the liver affects things Dx, thanks!

Guys i'll get the paper, do out the answers and recheck to make double sure, but it'll have to wait till next week or possibly after that (i have applied maths) - i hope thats ok?

Oenone wrote: »
    For the children question, I just said that they have a faster heart rate, therefore blood (carrying heat) is pumped around their bodies faster, keeping the extremities and the actual body warmer than it would be in an adult :confused:

Hmm I can see what you're getting at but I think its actually that their temperature is higher because they're more susceptible to infection by bacteria- their immune system is not very developed and they need a high temperature to kill off the bacteria.

Wow plus the reactions were Anabolic-Anabolic-Catabolic I think

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

I said that children have a higher temperature to reduce the risk of infection by harmful pathogens. >.<

I said they have a higher metabolism because they're hyper backstards!

Well I didn't really say that... But y'know yourself...

Were those reactions all 'anabolic'?

I love biology! I'm actually a little depressed that it's over.... That makes me sound so uncool :p

I thought one was catabolic, can't remember which one though :p
    I'm probably wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Pre Judas

It was so adorable how they got a 5 year old to do out the diagrams this year. Probably the same kid who suggested putting Ducks on the paper as well... Bless :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭flyaway.

I thought the last reaction one was pretty much the definition of Anabolic?

I was thinking there was no way they could all be Anabolic but it seemed right. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dubelj

Sparticle wrote: »
    What a lovely exam. It shows that the SEC is moving away from predictive questions and is actually testing broad understanding while punishing those who cram the 5 "guaranteed" chapters. :rolleyes:

There was some iffy questions though.

Wtf was with the ducks? I said the males needed more food because they were larger and hence went further south to warmer climes with more abundant food.

Was that a really really big gall bladder or a liver? I thought the bile duct went to the gall bladder.

completely agree. Really nice paper
    I said that female ducks have a higher percentage of fat than males so they have more insulation than males so males have to move further south to survive the Winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

After today I want to pursue a Biology career.. Twas a lovely day

No human reproduction, but sure.... Be grand. I answered everything I could and an extra question too :)

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2011/LC025ALP000EV.pdf

Exam paper is up on examinations.ie atm

It was Anabolic-Anabolic-Catabolic btw because if the substrate is larger than the product then it is broken down..i.e Catabolic....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 ADeVoy

It says when "PRODUCTS are LARGER than SUBSTRATE", larger molecules are formed from smaller molecules, so it's an anabolic reaction.

Advertisement