Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 ConnieBarry

Eggy Baby! wrote: »

It was Anabolic-Anabolic-Catabolic btw because if the substrate is larger than the product then it is broken down..i.e Catabolic....
    cant be...
    it said "product molecules are larger than substrate ones"
    so the end product is bigger that the starting one...is that not what anabolic activity is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2011/LC025ALP000EV.pdf

Exam paper is up on examinations.ie atm

It was Anabolic-Anabolic-Catabolic btw because if the substrate is larger than the product then it is broken down..i.e Catabolic....

I think you might have misread it, which sucks. It was sort of written backwards... Kind of :p
    Reactions in which product molecules are larger than substrate molecules.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

I said proteinsynthesis was catabolic, and the other two were anabolic.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

I love how it's assumed that not all the answers could be the same! I saw it and said 'they're trying to catch people out'. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭GoldRush4821

Anabolic
    Anabolic
    Anabolic

/discussion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭brownlad

Protein synthesis.anabolic

Conversion of ADP to ATP.(process is in respiration which is catabolic but its ADP+P=ATP , your adding on to make it "larger" so anabolic

Reactions in which product molecules are larger than substrate molecules. anabolic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Anniefearon

G.J. wrote: »
    Damn, I wrote it as if the male went further. Grr, damn my misreading. >.>

it was the male goes further as they cannot stand cold conditions like a female can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

I said there were 9 common amino acids although I knew that there was definitely some group of 20 amino acids. Turns out 9 are considered 'essential', but the full 20 are, obviously, still common... Really annoyed about that!

Hopefully I answered the rest of the question okay...

Who in the world decided that this paper should be 3 hours long!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 adler

soooooooo disappointed. hated every q thrown on. Got an A1 in the mocks and loved the papers in previous years. This was like they wanted to make it easier by leaving out photosynthesis and respiration for long dragged out equations and q's, but I thought that the q's were seriousy tricky and out of the box. got everything done, all short q's, all experiments (which were weird) and 5 long questions. definitely got some wrong. Oh well!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

I said there were 9 common amino acids although I knew that there was definitely some group of 20 amino acids. Turns out 9 are considered 'essential', but the full 20 are, obviously, still common... Really annoyed about that!

Hopefully I answered the rest of the question okay...

Who in the world decided that this paper should be 3 hours long!?!

It doesn't matter if you got it wrong, if the rest are right, you get full marks. It said on Q1. Answer 5 of the questions below!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Dr.Evil

G.J. wrote: »
    I love how it's assumed that not all the answers could be the same! I saw it and said 'they're trying to catch people out'. :P

That was literally the only reason I put proteinsynthesis as catabolic haha, I always fall for that one though, I never believe the answers are the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

Oenone wrote: »
    For the children question, I just said that they have a faster heart rate, therefore blood (carrying heat) is pumped around their bodies faster, keeping the extremities and the actual body warmer than it would be in an adult :confused:

i just said children don't sweat as much as adults

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 orlaisgreat

Hated the Biology paper twas really tricky !! was very disapointed with it :(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 8 KatieD.

Name the structure by which Amoeba gets rid of excess water that has entered by osmosis ?

And does re-absorption take place in the Medulla?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 cbaa

whats the answer to the genetics question its urgent... symbols dont matter, is it PpSs, Ppss, ppSs, ppss, pink long, pink short, white long, white short

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dbstf

KatieD. wrote: »
    Name the structure by which Amoeba gets rid of excess water that has entered by osmosis ?

And does re-absorption take place in the Medulla?

Contractile Vacuole.

And, Yes,

Dbstf wrote: »
    Contractile Vacuole.

And, Yes,

Never would of guessed that one. Awful paper. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dbstf

KatieD. wrote: »
    Never would of guessed that one. Awful paper. Cheers

I actually knew the whole process pretty well. I was hoping there would be a whole part about it but eh well...
    I kinda messed up the kidney question too :S Hated the way it was asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

ok, so are we exotherms or endotherms?

I really wish they'd just use warm and cold-blooded, I'm always getting confused with this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

._. wrote: »
    ok, so are we exotherms or endotherms?

I think we're endotherms

• Advertisement

I actually knew the whole process pretty well. I was hoping there would be a whole part about it but eh well...
    I kinda messed up the kidney question too :S Hated the way it was asked!

yeah but in fairness I'd say that was probably my strongest question. I knew the whole body really well, the biology i love, but hardly any mention of the systems. Just crap, there goes my A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

http://www.examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2011/LC025ALP000EV.pdf

Exam paper is up on examinations.ie atm

Substrate is what the enzyme works on.
    Product is what is made by the enzyme-substrate complex.
    If enzyme works on a substrate, and makes it bigger. It adds to it.
    ie. Anabolic reaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

The answers were

Anabolic
    Anabolic
    Anabolic

End of discussion!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TheNuttyBrowny

Do u know for this question

"State two different uses of a water bath in biological investigations"

My whole school is split with what the answer is half of the people including me think its the experiments u used the water bath in but the other half think its what was the water bath used for............?? any ideas because u cud pick it up both ways!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

doctorg wrote: »
    The answers were

Anabolic
    Anabolic
    Anabolic

End of discussion!
    Wanna bet?! :D
    DessieMG wrote: »
    nothing like being allowed to draw a knob in an exam!
    Whatever lights your candle, Dessie! :cool:

hides

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

I think I read that as "ATP to ADP". FML, that'll be annoying me the whole summer.

And that's also going to cancel out one of my correct answers isn't it? -.-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

My whole school is split with what the answer is half of the people including me think its the experiments u used the water bath in but the other half think its what was the water bath used for............?? any ideas because u cud pick it up both ways!!

I would have read it as 2 different functions, rather than 2 different experiments. I'd say they would accept the other one if you had said "Used in X experiment to heat the test tube to 40 degrees" and "Used in Y experiment to keep the solution at ..."

It wasn't that clear at all was it, i said the experiments themselves but I'd say you'd have to get marks for both because it really wasn't clear

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

I think it could probably be interpreted both ways, but the safest option was to give the use, with an example of an experiment with this use. Covers all bases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 TouchdownKate-x

Contractile Vacuole.

And, Yes,

Doesn't some re-absorption occur in both the medulla and the cortex? Hope so :confused:

Advertisement