Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

._. wrote: »
    I think I read that as "ATP to ADP". FML, that'll be annoying me the whole summer.

And that's also going to cancel out one of my correct answers isn't it? -.-

No. There is no cancelling out when you're talking about seperate questions. If you had answered, for example...question 12 (v), "Name one substance, other than water, excreted in the urine"...if here, you had said urea and glucose, the fact that you gave one right and one wrong will cancel out. But if you said urea, and then in the next question you get the answer wrong, it doesn't cancel out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

PJelly wrote: »
    Substrate is what the enzyme works on.
    Product is what is made by the enzyme-substrate complex.
    If enzyme works on a substrate, and makes it bigger. It adds to it.
    ie. Anabolic reaction.

Yes I know that the substrate is and the question was that the substrate was larger than the product. Therefore, this means that the substrate was broken down to form the product. This means that it is Catabolic..BOOM

What I said is true but I got the question wrong in the exam...ahhh ****e. My bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Framble

State the precise location of the cell membrane in plant cells???
    I said surrounding the cytoplasm but that didn't seem very precise...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

From the sounds of things, there will be a few changes to the marking scheme. As so many people misinterpreted some of the badly worded questions.

Eggy Baby! wrote: »
    Yes I know that the substrate is and the question was that the substrate was larger than the product. Therefore, this means that the substrate was broken down to form the product. This means that it is Catabolic..BOOM

What I said is true but I got the question wrong in the exam...ahhh ****e. My bad!

"Reactions in which product molecules are larger than substrate molecule"

Product is larger than substrate, meaning that the smaller substrate is becoming a larger product, which is anabolic.

BOOM, if you will. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

Framble wrote: »
    State the precise location of the cell membrane in plant cells???
    I said surrounding the cytoplasm but that didn't seem very precise...
    I said in between the cytoplasm and the cell wall..pretty chuffed with that

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

KatieD. wrote: »
    Name the structure by which Amoeba gets rid of excess water that has entered by osmosis ?

And does re-absorption take place in the Medulla?

that would be the contractile vacuole, acts like a sponge then heads to the edge and squeezes itself it out xD
    according to a the best guy in my class and probably year it was the outter cortex. I was fit to kick myself.
    Just checked my book an it said medula nd cortex. So as long as we didn't say pelvis, we get it. Sweet.

"Reactions in which product molecules are larger than substrate molecule"

Product is larger than substrate, meaning that the smaller substrate is becoming a larger product, which is anabolic.

BOOM, if you will. :P
    Thank you, I would have done it myself but I was eating :)

@Eggy_Baby, I said the exact same thing.

Also, for what kidneys excrete apart from water, would salts count? Totally mindblanked and forgot to say urea.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

State one digestive function of the pancreas:

If I just said pancreatic lipase what would I get? Are these questions hit and miss or what?

Edit: It also said "How are the two strands of a DNA molecule joined together?" Is it okay if I took this to mean how are they joined (DNA polymerase) in opposed to what's holding them together?

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TheNuttyBrowny

Ash_M wrote: »
    I think it could probably be interpreted both ways, but the safest option was to give the use, with an example of an experiment with this use. Covers all bases.

See i would have done that but at the time i only interpreted the experiment way!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 TheNuttyBrowny

do u know in genetic crosses if you get the parent genotypes wrong but still some way end up with the right geno types for the offspring do u lose marks??

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

do u know in genetic crosses if you get the parent genotypes wrong but still some way end up with the right geno types for the offspring do u lose marks??

Probably only lose a mark or two

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭MarkTheBaby

Read through the genetics question a few times. I didn't see where it said that Tall was dominant to short stem. I put them down as neither dominant or recessive like the colour. ...Fúck.

Do you think I'll get the phenotype answer? it just said to write down the phenotype of the genotype you got and I did that right...?

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

Iceboy wrote: »
    Probably only lose a mark or two

ya you'd loose only three MAX for getting that wrong, its not maths so the wrong process and the right answer should still give u the marks (lets face it the vast majority of bio teachers/correctors are not maths teacher, they wont argue to have it corrected like that).
    The marks go for answers not workings out, end of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Saphira Bunansa

Have gotten an A in all my biology test and got an A in the mocks then the leaving cert came along...heya C- if even. I took a chance and analysed last years papers and ruled out what i thought wouldn't come up. Of course my worst nightmare came true and the 7 chapters i left out came up. :( i was able to answer the recommended amount but not at all in depth. Those questions were awful ecology wasnt nice and where in the world was human reproduction and breathing and nutrition and THE HEART!! That experiment was a load of crap as well anyone else feel my pain

Agreed.

I LOVE Biology and it's one of my better subjects. Felt confident going in then BAM none of the usuals. I understand they might be trying to move away from the predictable topics but that was a real kick in the teeth of a paper. That stupid thing in ecology about the ducks?! What the hell?! And the experiments were an absolute SIN of them. I don't care what anyone says. That was a nasty paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 dubelj

:Dlovely paper

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

Dbstf wrote: »
    Contractile Vacuole.

And, Yes,

Do you think I'd get any marks for saying vacuole ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

I REALLY Regret not opting for Ordinary level
    I'd have aced it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭doctorg

hunii07 wrote: »
    Do you think I'd get any marks for saying vacuole ?

Possible 2/3 marks ?

Doesn't some re-absorption occur in both the medulla and the cortex? Hope so :confused:

Yes, technically, both. I'm not sure how far it went for leaving cert as regards explaining that, but having gone into depth on that particular topic reabsorption definitely occurs in both, as the nephron extends into both parts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭hunii07

doctorg wrote: »
    Possible 2/3 marks ?

thanks :) I think it's the only thing I didn't know for sure on the paper..but guessed vacuole...

I was hoping for and A1/A2 on the paper as I'm a repeat and I got B1 last year and A2 in the mock this year.. the experiments were a little tricky though.

B_Fanatic wrote: »
    State one digestive function of the pancreas:

If I just said pancreatic lipase what would I get? Are these questions hit and miss or what?

Edit: It also said "How are the two strands of a DNA molecule joined together?" Is it okay if I took this to mean how are they joined (DNA polymerase) in opposed to what's holding them together?

I think you'll definitely get marks for pancreatic lipase...production of lipase/amylase would be the most likely answers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

dubelj wrote: »
    :Dlovely paper

yup delighted.

did zero study, but i honestly think a B is on the cards now. :D:D

For the "How is DNA joined" I said hydrogen bonds.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭Iceboy

I REALLY Regret not opting for Ordinary level
    I'd have aced it :(

I literally decided to drop 5 mins before the exam, so glad I did now

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

i think it was the centromere for the DNA one? the 1st experiment question...unbelieveable SEC...its about experiments on the course you daft Commission!!! but i tried my best and answered all q's on it:rolleyes: some questions were sticky enough, so glad reproduction didn't come. did ye get that the reactions were all anabolic in one of the long questions???

Iceboy wrote: »
    I literally decided to drop 5 mins before the exam, so glad I did now

3 minutes before the exam I was literally going to ask for an ordinary level but my friends talked me out of it
    Now I have no science subject hence 0% of college and looks like ill have to repeat for what I want but theres no way in hell im repeating so looks like im in a sh** dead end job for the rest of my days

• Registered Users Posts: 5 blahhhhh

Have gotten an A in all my biology test and got an A in the mocks then the leaving cert came along...heya C- if even. I took a chance and analysed last years papers and ruled out what i thought wouldn't come up. Of course my worst nightmare came true and the 7 chapters i left out came up. :(

Ugh I feel your pain... I was an A biology student all year and now I'd be lucky with a B3, if that :( I just can't believe there was no human reproduction or defence or nervous system! The only good thing about the paper was the genetics question and the short qs... What was with the first experiment question??!!

sligo. wrote: »
    i think it was the centromere for the DNA one?

I sure hope it was

• Advertisement

3 minutes before the exam I was literally going to ask for an ordinary level but my friends talked me out of it
    Now I have no science subject hence 0% of college and looks like ill have to repeat for what I want but theres no way in hell im repeating so looks like im in a sh** dead end job for the rest of my days

This is why over analysing exams is no good :P Listen, you don't know how you did, at all. Do NOT adjust your CAO just because you think you failed it. Leave whatever you had as first where it is. A lot of courses don't need any sciences...granted, they may not be the courses you're interested in, but there are options for everything.

Advertisement