Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭irish_man

irish_man wrote: »
    It was huge though. I put down liver. I wrote on the paper "too big to be the gall bladder". Gall bladders are smaller organs than that. The one in the diagram was huge.

Check out this image. I've a feeling it was liver.

human-gallbladder.gif

EDIT: Its annoying me now and I know its probably not even worth a percent. I have a relation who is a doctor so I'm going to ask him when the paper goes online

Just after hearing from my relative and he says its the liver. He said it was a terrible diagram but it was much too big to have been the bile duct. Hope that clears everything up for everybody. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

the only thing I want to do is nursing and that wont ever change

Just almost finished the ordinary level I did when i came home
    and so far I've an A1 and I've only 2 more questions to correct :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Geog ariphic

sligo. wrote: »
    i think it was the centromere for the DNA one? the 1st experiment question...unbelieveable SEC...its about experiments on the course you daft Commission!!!

Well hydrogen bonds DO join them and i'm sure they'll accept it when they see how many put it down, but i don't think it's what they meant.
    I don't think it actually says anywhere that section B is the experiments, it says practical investigations? So the /theory/ of practical investigations are what they asked. Meh i didn't notice it personally till someone said it after.
    Anyone who's ever whatched two David Atenborough documentaries could do the ecology. Seriously, why does the migrating section of a population suffer more deaths? Less energy, predators waiting along annual migration routes, encounter more diseases. Ducks? It will say 'accept any reasonable answer' in the marking scheme. Personally i gave 2, female ducks might be carrying eggs therefore heavier (though now that i think about bird migration this is ludicrus xD), might have more fat so can withstand colder climes.
    Also males being stronger and going farther is reasonable.
    I've a niggling suspicion that they are looking for an actual comparison though....hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 TheNuttyBrowny

Just after hearing from my relative and he says its the liver. He said it was a terrible diagram but it was much too big to have been the bile duct. Hope that clears everything up for everybody. :)

Feck it i thought the stomach was the big one!! since when is the liver bigger than the stomach??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

the only thing I want to do is nursing and that wont ever change

Just almost finished the ordinary level I did when i came home
    and so far I've an A1 and I've only 2 more questions to correct :(:(

Try not to let this upset you before the rest of your exams. You really, really don't know how you did. The marking scheme will be adjusted according to the general results in the whole country. You weren't the only one that found the paper difficult...certain bits seem to have thrown everyone, even those who would consider themselves A1 students. Chin up, concentrate on the rest for now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

i said that the males ducks prefer a somewhat warmer climat during winter therefore they want to be closer to the equator, im sure im way out i dont know :P oh well! the second bit of that liver question made it obvious if you wern't sure because the second answer.....something like what does the duodenum join up to above that and it was the stomach...i assume :P

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Joseph...

Papers are vital for biology IMO...I left them out and did just the book and got an A2-wud av got A1 wit papers

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

How could that have been anything but the liver? There aren't too many organs twice the size of the pancreas sitting around beside the stomach in the digestive system :p, you'd know that from looking at a diagram of it once..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

Ah now, they HAVE to accept gall bladder there too then.
    I was 80% sure it was gall bladder. As did my entire school.

Joseph... wrote: »
    Papers are vital for biology IMO...I left them out and did just the book and got an A2-wud av got A1 wit papers

ur predicting, or you've already done ur leaving cert?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭PJelly

._. wrote: »
    How could that have been anything but the liver? There aren't too many organs twice the size of the pancreas sitting around beside the stomach in the digestive system :p, you'd know that from looking at a diagram of it once..
    The duct going directly from the organ in question to the small intestine, with no branches coming from the duct.

Btw guys stupid question but was that the duodenum? XD i'm the only one who doesnt know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭Junco Partner

sligo. wrote: »
    i said that the males ducks prefer a somewhat warmer climat during winter therefore they want to be closer to the equator, :P

I said "well I deduce that the male ducks are shy and afraid of women"

Ridiculous question calls for ridiculous answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

in this case, i dont think your relative is any more qualified to answer the question than we are (even if he is a doctor)

PJelly wrote: »
    The duct going directly from the organ in question to the small intestine, with no branches coming from the duct.
    So therefor it was a giant gall baller? lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

It must be the liver because of the bile duct...right?

Edit: **** that diagram anyway. You'd think they'd bother to notice how badly it was presented.

Cydoniac wrote: »
    It must be the liver because of the bile duct...right?

It must be the liver because wtf else would it be..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 senses working overtime

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Did anyone know those two scientists involved with the cohesion-tension model? Real nasty question if you ask me.
    Dixon and Joly. 2 of the few Irish Scientists on the course.

It must be the liver because wtf else would it be..

i dont know, the gall bladder maybe? you ever seen a circular liver?

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    i dont know, the gall bladder maybe? you ever seen a circular liver?
    How exactly would a gall bladder be twice the size of the pancreas? That's just common sense.

And it's clearly not meant to be an accurate diagram, the oval shape representing the liver is the general shape of it (all it is there to do is show size and general shape, as is the pancreas one).

• Advertisement

How exactly would a gall bladder be twice the size of the pancreas? That's just common sense.
    How exactly would a liver be circular? That's just common sense.

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    How exactly would a liver be circular? That's just common sense.

The general shape (oval) is correct, it's just to show size. As is the pancreas diagram.

Which is more likely, a massive gall bladder which would be physiologically impossible, or a ****ty diagram in a leaving cert biology paper?

Gimmie a break. :rolleyes:

ever seen a circular stomach?
    It was one bile duct, no connections, and we are taught that bile comes from the gall bladder. Therefore it seems obvious.
    On the other hand, due to the positioning and relative size of the organ (i disregard shape as it was prob drawn on windows paint), it could only be the liver.
    They'll give both.
    (But the bile duct should also have had another connection, so there was no accuracy at all.)

The general shape (oval) is correct, it's just to show size. As is the pancreas diagram.

Which is more likely, a massive gall bladder which would be physiologically impossible, or a ****ty diagram in a leaving cert biology paper?

Gimmie a break. :rolleyes:

gallbladder.gif

im gonna say a massive gall bladder

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭aranciata

The fact that none of us know for sure, even now, after the exam with our textbooks and revision books and notes and online diagrams, is utterly ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Weetbix

Anyone gots time to post so of the answers so i get mark my self at least

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

i'm sure thw whole liver diagram is just 5/10 marks! :') lets wait till August to see how many marks it was worth:P

ever seen a circular stomach?
    It was one bile duct, no connections, and we are taught that bile comes from the gall bladder. Therefore it seems obvious.
    On the other hand, due to the positioning and relative size of the organ (i disregard shape as it was prob drawn on windows paint), it could only be the liver.
    They'll give both.
    (But the bile duct should also have had another connection, so there was no accuracy at all.)

The whole thing should have also been connected to the stomach, but they left that out and expected you to know that too.

Size alone was enough to see clearly what it was by process of elimination.

There's no way they're going to give marks for saying the gall bladder, not a chance.

As a side note, I don't know where everybody is getting "circular" from, there aren't any circles on that diagram, people need to learn their shapes, lol.
    Also, the gall balder isn't "circular" either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

Were the DNA strands joined by hydrogen bonds?

What was the first step in the DNA experiment?
    I thought it was salt+detergent but then the next question made me think otherwise.

• Advertisement

The whole thing should have also been connected to the stomach, but they left that out
    It was one of things you had to give a label for, on the right hand side I'm sure? What the duodenum was connected to?
    There's no way they're going to give marks for saying the gall bladder, not a chance.
    Going on past performance, they will change the marking scheme because so many people will have it down, and accept both.
    Its ridiculous that they always want to maintain roughly the same percentage of each grades every year, but that's how they do it.

Advertisement