Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Biology Higher level 2011 * (one thread please)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭macskanadrag

Didn't like the paper, i found the questions to be wishy-washy, a bit of this, a bit of that. I know my anwers to most questions are not wrong but if they are the ones the examiners will be looking for? Not sure :p
    And yep, none of the usual stuff came up, i find it frustrating but of course there are no compulsory questions in the LC so we knew that a lot we studied wouldn't come up.... *Sigh* I was prepared and had been hoping for an A, no idea what will come out of it.

Eh, time to study for chemistry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sineadlc

I don't think I did as well as I wanted! How well would I have 2 do just 2 get a C3 n all of the sections. I thought the paper this year was very messy and not really put together properly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Platinum2010

Cydoniac wrote: »
    Well, okay, if they were the ONLY ones you focused on, you should have known better and at least have had a general knowledge of everything. But whatever, the exam is through with, no point worrying yourself stupid, you might surprise yourself.

I had a general knowledge just knew the carbon cycle and all that in detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bradleyboy

was it normal to find glucose in the urine? i put yes but i wasnt 100% sure?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Indestructable

Am I the only one that said the male ducks didn't want to have to put up with the female ones for the whole of Winter so they went further away...alone??

• Advertisement

bradleyboy wrote: »

I think that's a positive test for diabetes or something ...not entirely sure

Sineadlc wrote: »
    I don't think I did as well as I wanted! How well would I have 2 do just 2 get a C3 n all of the sections. I thought the paper this year was very messy and not really put together properly...

A load of B****x looks like it was thrown together in a half hour tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dbstf

No, because it means that the person has diabetes. That's kind of what I said anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 tcurry93

Anybody remember what they got for the genetic cross??

Usually can do them so well but confused me today :rolleyes:

I'd say it's no - all your glucose should have been reabsorbed. If glucose is found in urine, you have a fair chance of being diabetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

I think that's a positive test for diabetes or something ...not entirely sure

oh floop it..i think thats right......darn i said yes coz they can filter through or something...
    was it no for the other answer ...?

How did you figure it out? Or did you know?

Tis in the book lads. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

I'd say it's no - all your glucose should have been reabsorbed. If glucose is found in urine, you have a fair chance of being diabetic.
    I said that too.

For the duck question...just ugh. I said something along the lines of the females would be dormant especially if pregnant and the males would be the main hunters/providers, hence going south.
    tcurry93 wrote: »

Usually can do them so well but confused me today
    Can't remember but definitely all white flower small stem on the side of my Punnitt square.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Eggy Baby! wrote: »

Plus you had to draw a bloody pelvis under it...wtf...
    It wasn't the actual pelvis you had to draw, it was the Renal Pelvis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Sineadlc

A load of B****x looks like it was thrown together in a half hour tbh

Ya like seriously t looks like a few people who never looked at an exam paper before put it together. The diagram of the nephron was ridiculous. I could have drawn a better one myself...

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Exothermic

No, it should be reabsorbed up by the proximal convoluted tubule. I guess if you had diabetes you would, but that's not the normal situation.

doctorg wrote: »
    Where did you find that? I am pretty sure its 21. Its asked in protein not specifically for Humans.

are there no home.ec ppl here?!?! theres 20 common amino acids!! there are more but there is only 20.. 10 essential, 10 non essentail. you didnt need to put that second bit down buts it twenty!! 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20...twenty!

I said that too.

For the duck question...just ugh. I said something along the lines of the females would be dormant especially if pregnant and the males would be the main hunters/providers, hence going south.

Can't remember but definitely all white flower small stem on the side of my Punnitt square.

your duck answer makes sense too... i say they could take a various amount of answers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭GerardB

RrTt x rrtt

f1 progeny:
    Rrtt
    RrTt
    rrTt
    rrtt

what a paper ^^

Sineadlc wrote: »
    Ya like seriously t looks like a few people who never looked at an exam paper before put it together. The diagram of the nephron was ridiculous. I could have drawn a better one myself...

The layout was different for other years and It was disgraceful there was nothing about the nitrogen cycle or the bones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭G.J.

I got:
    Cr - Red, Cw - White, CrCw - Pink, T - Tall, t - short

25% Pink tall (CrCwTt)
    25% Pink short (CrCwtt)
    25% White tall (CwCwTt)
    25% White short (CwCwtt)

Lucky, I did a cross exactly like this one last night!

CrCwTt x CwCwtt will always come out in a 1:1:1:1 ratio.

GerardB wrote: »
    RrTt x rrtt

f1 progeny:
    Rrtt
    RrTt
    rrTt
    rrtt

what a paper ^^

Thank **** :D

I'm amazed myself but yes, i can remember :P
    pink tall
    pink small
    white tall
    white small

Don't tell me if it's wrong, haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 bradleyboy

has anyone done out the questions again to get the answers?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭B_Fanatic

doctorg wrote: »
    Where did you find that? I am pretty sure its 21. Its asked in protein not specifically for Humans.

F*ck it, I'll have a look in the book. Google is failing me miserably. I'm getting all sorts of answers

xaoifsx wrote: »
    are there no home.ec ppl here?!?! theres 20 common amino acids!! there are more but there is only 20.. 10 essential, 10 non essentail. you didnt need to put that second bit down buts it twenty!! 20 20 20 20 20 20 20 20...twenty!

I'm a home ec person lol just shows how messed up i did in this cert 3 cheers for repeating

I thought the QS asked how many non essential amino acids are there

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭BrendaN_f

The layout was different for other years and It was disgraceful there was nothing about the nitrogen cycle or the bones

i don't know why you keep going on about the nitrogen cycle, it's such a small, obscure part of the course, why would you concentrate on it? (implying there is enough to concentrate on)

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

That was a nice paper.

The positive to that is I did very well in it (pretty sure I got my A), but the negative to that is that a lot of other people did very well in it too, which gives me less of a competitive advantage..

• Advertisement

BrendaN_f wrote: »
    i don't know why you keep going on about the nitrogen cycle, it's such a small, obscure part of the course, why would you concentrate on it? (implying there is enough to concentrate on)

Our teacher told us it was worth a lot of marks and quite easy once you get your head round it

Advertisement