Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

BBC One HD coming to the Irish EPG

• 09-05-2011 7:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭

Good news!

Following the news that BBC Three and BBC Four are coming to the Irish EPG I emailed Sky to ask about BBC One HD. I received the following response:

"I can confirm that BBC One HD will be available to our ROI customers also."

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭Dave_Dublin

. . . And what ??

be placed on EPG 231 ?

-- So ridiculous if the EPG positions for the other BBC channels reported in the other thread is correct.

229 / 230

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Great news, now just to get the ITVs, C4HD and Channel Fives!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Small steps ;)

At last the extra BBC channels will be recordable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

but will it be available from 12th may though? its a bit of an open ended reply to your email that you got

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 mrdsmith

What about BBC News?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

mrdsmith wrote: »
    What about BBC News?

Email them and ask.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I call shenanigans.

All the talk so far on the Sky Form and even this forum has related to BBC3/4 CBBC and CBeebies. Not ONE mention of BBC One HD coming to the Irish EPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭galtee boy

mrdsmith wrote: »
    What about BBC News?

Highly unlikely. Why would Sky pay the BBC to put BBC News on the Irish Epg, in direct competition to their own Sky News, which sells advertising in the Irish market ? CNN, FOX News etc are not threats to Sky News, but BBC News would attract Irish viewers away from Sky.
    I don't see any reason for BBC1 HD not appearing on the Irish Epg, but it won't be Thursday, as surely they would have advertised it along with BBC 3, 4 etc ?

I contacted Sky in Cork, they told me that there are no plans to bring BBC one HD to the Irish EPG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I contacted Sky in Cork, they told me that there are no plans to bring BBC one HD to the Irish EPG.

Trust me...Don't believe a word they tell you from the call centre in Cork,they are basically there to take bookings from people ordering Sky.
    Even so I'll believe it when I see it with BBC 1HD on the epg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

galtee boy wrote: »
    Highly unlikely. Why would Sky pay the BBC to put BBC News on the Irish Epg, in direct competition to their own Sky News, which sells advertising in the Irish market ? CNN, FOX News etc are not threats to Sky News, but BBC News would attract Irish viewers away from Sky.

If that was the train of thought then all Non Sky channels are in competition with the Sky channels and could divert viewers away from Sky channels.

Hogzy wrote: »
    If that was the train of thought then all Non Sky channels are in competition with the Sky channels and could divert viewers away from Sky channels.

Only the non Sky channels that sell Irish advertising are a possible threat to advertising revenues for Sky and in most cases, this is counteracted by the fact that these channels must pay Sky for carraige, whereas in the case of BBC channels, it's Sky who are paying them to be on the ROI Epg.

galtee boy wrote: »

I watch Sky News HD which has NO Irish ads - only the non-HD version has Irish advertising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

I watch Sky News HD which has NO Irish ads - only the non-HD version has Irish advertising.

What about the majority of customers who are non HD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

I'll believe when I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kayevajo

isn`t BBC HD not on channel 143 on the irish epg?

It is yes. But the thread is about BBC One HD.

I suppose it's hoping against hope, that Sky might "throw in" BBC1 HD with BBC 3 and BBC 4 tomorrow and give us all a nice surprise ?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭celj

Well thank God I already have BBC One HD on my ROI EPG!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭John mac

celj wrote: »
    Well thank God I already have BBC One HD on my ROI EPG!:)

what number?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

As expected BBC 3, BBC 4, CBBC and CBeebies have appeared today - about 10.30am. No sign as yet of BBC 1 HD, or any other BBC channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Great!there's a few interesting docs on BBC4 tonight too!

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭mike2084

Has anyone heard any more about BBC 1 HD coming to the epg since we are going to be losing it through other channels next Monday?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭200motels

Has anyone heard any more about BBC 1 HD coming to the epg since we are going to be losing it through other channels next Monday?
    Haven't heard a thing, to me it's not a big deal I don't watch the BBC 1SD anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭channelsurfer2

what do you mean loosing it? are they changing frequency to make it like c4HD that you cant tune it in on a sky box?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

what do you mean loosing it? are they changing frequency to make it like c4HD that you cant tune it in on a sky box?

Yep :(:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Pat Gleeson

Yes

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056287192

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Why_oh_why

I presume ITV HD will go the same way in due course.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I think Sky better hurry up and add support for these channels via other channels and also add them to the EPG or a lot of people will start getting Freesat HD boxes.

This would be the worst outcome possible for Sky, they would rather you cancel your Sky sub and use your Sky box for FTA, then you go buy a Freesat HD box.

If you are using a Sky box, at least you have the ability to re-subscribe in future.

bk wrote: »
    I think Sky better hurry up and add support for these channels via other channels and also add them to the EPG or a lot of people will start getting Freesat HD boxes.

They've said on their own help forum that there are "NO PLANS IN THE NEAR FUTURE" to alter the "Add Channels" settings . . .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

As expected BBC 3, BBC 4, CBBC and CBeebies have appeared today - about 10.30am. No sign as yet of BBC 1 HD, or any other BBC channel.

Leaving aside the various Nations and Regions, the only BBC domestic channels that Irish Sky viewers are now without are BBC One HD, BBC News Channel, and BBC Parliament. Oh, and BBC Alba...

Advertisement