Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do tattoos really effect job prospects?

Options
  • 09-05-2011 7:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

I'm considering getting a tattoo, nothing too big or anything, but the places i'd like to put it are pretty exposed, wrist, neck, behind the ear etc. I'm a health care student so obviously when working in hospitals its hair tied up and short sleeves. I'm just a bit concerned that having a tattoo will put some employers off. what kinds of experiences have others had?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Chocablock

In Ireland probably but if your moving elsewhere you should be fine. We are backwards gombeens

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

The short answer is yes!!

Some employers still look upon tattoo'ed people as a lower class of person and if you have to wear short sleeves and you are in a medical profession you probably will find a bit of stigma attached to a tattoo.

you really have two options if you really want a tattoo and you are worried about your future profession...

1: Decide on a less visible place for your tattoo

2: use some form of makeup to cover up the tattoo when you are at work

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

My friend is doing nursing in college and has a tattoo behind her neck, and nothing has been said. It's barely noticeable.

I have one on the top of my back, just before my neck and it's never visible unless I've my hair up and a low backed top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 phoenix39

feelpablo wrote: »
    use some form of makeup to cover up the tattoo when you are at work
    Can you get make up to cover tattoos? is it expensive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

phoenix39 wrote: »
    Can you get make up to cover tattoos? is it expensive?

Yes Kat von D brought out a concealer that covers tattoo's. Dont know how much it costs though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

when i got promoted in Dunnes to manager i had to meet the hr lady for contracts and that,after everything was signed she says "oh you will wanna cover that tattoo up":mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

In my experience a few factors come into play-

The placement of the tattoo and its subject matters. Something like a small and discreet tribal piece or star on the back of the wrist is different from a tricolour and portrait of Bobby Sands on a forearm. One carries a political connotation that the other does not, and may convey a message that a given business is unwilling to have its employees send out.

The truth is though no matter how well-executed and inoffensive the tattoo is if it is in what is considered 'very' public space like the neck (I'm thinking side or front rather than nape), hands, knuckles or forearms then I think how acceptable it is depends on how conservative the culture of your workplace is. Let's be honest - if you're a sales manager for a large company and are dealing with corporate clients then no, it is simply not appropriate to have a cartload of tattoos on the side of your neck (and I say that as someone with quite a lot of coverage who quite likes the idea of a neck tattoo).

A conservative workplace might require you to observe a dress-code, maintain your hair or makeup a particular way ... To me a policy or expectation in regards to body art is an extension of this. If you're unwilling to comply then IMO until we see a considerable thaw in attitudes to tattoos over the next few years it is people's own choices whether or not they want to tattoo public spaces on their bodies in the knowledge that it might affect them in their careers.

FWIW you can actually go quite far and stay within the boundaries of many workplaces. If I am wearing a suit and tie at work I could have full sleeves, chest plates, full back piece and both legs for all anyone knows. In the summer it might suck, but I'm making the point that if you really wanted to go that way it is possible - guess it would depend how important the coverage was versus the convenience of being able to roll up your sleeves, for example.

The OP's example of a hospital environment may not permit this, but some pretty conservative other workplaces would.

Insofar as it means anything I think there probably are more tattooed people with successul careers in jobs which traditionally might not have been considered compatible with tattoos. I know plenty of heavily tattooed people in the Gardai, banking, national school teaching, medical professions etc. In the case of some of these jobs (the Gardai, for example) the guidance around tattoos does not rule them out outright but pertains to size, placement, garishness and offensiveness. Even then there are plenty of guys and girls with considerable coverage in view who may not get any grief over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

The very short answer - Yes. Anything you want to get done that you feel will make things harder for you isn't worth getting. At the very least, wait until you've got your professional life sorted out, then go under the needle.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It would be equivalent to going for an interview in casual dress instead of a suit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

Anything you want to get done that you feel will make things harder for you isn't worth getting.

I would have to disagree with this, there's lot of things people do that make life harder for them but they do it anyway cos they love it, or believe in it or whatever.

I do think tattoos could potentially affect job prospects, but for the most part I think employers wouldn't mind as long as they're covered....now that's a whole separate issue :)

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 328 ✭✭michelledoh

Going for job interviews this year we were all told to cover your tattoo for the job interview but after that its fine. In Ireland they can't fire you for something as superficial as that! Maybe get 1 that is easily covered up to be safe though!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

What do people think of a future law graduate with a small tattoo on her wrist? It's only about 1.5in x 1.5in?

Have I put myself at serious risk in the future?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭TangyZizzle

What do people think of a future law graduate with a small tattoo on her wrist? It's only about 1.5in x 1.5in?

Have I put myself at serious risk in the future?

Yes

Yes

Well actually I have just found out that I have gotten myself a years internship in one of the big 5 next year so maybe I haven't! :)
    We'll see how it goes!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Going for job interviews this year we were all told to cover your tattoo for the job interview but after that its fine. In Ireland they can't fire you for something as superficial as that! Maybe get 1 that is easily covered up to be safe though!

Oh yes they can and I have seen it done.They may not sack you for having a visible tattoo or piercing but until you are with a company for 366 days you have zero rights over here.

They`ll find a reason to get rid of you believe me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭SarahBeep!

I'm training to be a teacher and we're constantly being warned not to have one anywhere visible. Sure a load of people had them long before they had edcided on teaching like! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭funnyclub

SarahBeep! wrote: »
    I'm training to be a teacher and we're constantly being warned not to have one anywhere visible. Sure a load of people had them long before they had edcided on teaching like! :rolleyes:

Its spelt decided. I really hope your not teaching English lol :D:D

funnyclub wrote: »
    Its spelt decided. I really hope your not teaching English lol :D:D

I'm assuming this is meant to be ironic.....

Personally I would avoid getting a tattoo somewhere very visible if you're working in healthcare. Only because it may rule out private hospitals. I work in a private hospital and our contract states that all tattoos must be covered, all healthcare workers also have to be "bare below the elbows".

I'm not clinical so it's not as much of an issue for me because I can wear sleeves so I wear a suit jacket/cardigan/long sleeve shirt to cover my arm, and a plaster to cover the one on my foot. My others aren't visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

yeah for sure.
    Did a phone interview for a job (which I got)
    Met the interviewer a month later and she told me she wouldn't have given me the job if she had seen the ink.

I'd keep it covered for interviews (suited and booted) but in work they don't mind, have lower arms tattooed and nobody bats an eyelid

• Registered Users Posts: 26 carlarua

I have a stall at a market, and I always cover up, no matter how warm it is. I've tattoos on my lower arm and wrist, so they're visible if I don't wear long sleeves.
    Younger people never seem to care, middle aged people seem to think it's part of my ''artistic'' side. It's the elderly people who seem to be genuinely upset and pass by with a glance at my arms but not at my wares, so long sleeves it is.

As long as tattoos can be covered up, I don't see a problem. If your job means wearing short sleeves, anywhere but your lower arms and neck is an option. You have to admit, that still leaves an awful lot of space for a nice, big tattoo;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

While everyone is, of course, entitled to their own opinion...

I think you are fooling yourself if you believe that having visible tattoos (particularly ones that make it clear that you are heavily tattooed....) don't effect job prospects. In recent years I have become more obviously tattooed. I have had my legs and chest tattooed for years but was not inclined to dress in a way that would make that clear. But in the last year I stared wearing low cut tops and started work on sleeves. It was instantly clear that the way people reacted to me utterly changed. I have had people snatch curious kids away from me in lifts. I have been turned away from bars with far more frequency. I have sat in toilet cubicles and heard other women bitching about the fact that the doorman let the tattooed riff raff in. I have been to a wedding where the bride and groom had no problem with my tattoos, but felt guilty for making older people present visibly uncomfortable. My grandmother who loves me dearly sat me down to tell me I had to cover up to the throat for a family funeral (that didn't bother me, but it is an indicator of the fact that even the very accepting in society are sensitive to how others see you and your tattoos).

I have not had occasion to try and get a job with my tattoos visible, because I work as a tattoo artist. But i don't doubt for a second that I have shut a huge number of career doors on myself.

Anyone on here who has met me can tell you I am a very harmless looking, short, rosy cheeked girl. I have a degree, i am an overly formal and polite person. I am well spoken (tbf, I sound pretty posh). But still an appreciable chunk of society treat me like a crack head when they meet me initially. People who interview you will never get past that initial meeting. there can be no doubt that these people will see to it that you will not get hired, as will the people who accept who you are but feel they are pressured by the way that life works.

I can imagine the effect would only be stronger if I were a shaven headed strapping young man.

watch your step.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Iv noticed its not any problem in England, Sure loads of their Police are coated in tattoos..

While everyone is, of course, entitled to their own opinion...

I think you are fooling yourself if you believe that having visible tattoos (particularly ones that make it clear that you are heavily tattooed....) don't effect job prospects. In recent years I have become more obviously tattooed. I have had my legs and chest tattooed for years but was not inclined to dress in a way that would make that clear. But in the last year I stared wearing low cut tops and started work on sleeves. It was instantly clear that the way people reacted to me utterly changed. I have had people snatch curious kids away from me in lifts. I have been turned away from bars with far more frequency. I have sat in toilet cubicles and heard other women bitching about the fact that the doorman let the tattooed riff raff in. I have been to a wedding where the bride and groom had no problem with my tattoos, but felt guilty for making older people present visibly uncomfortable. My grandmother who loves me dearly sat me down to tell me I had to cover up to the throat for a family funeral (that didn't bother me, but it is an indicator of the fact that even the very accepting in society are sensitive to how others see you and your tattoos).

I have not had occasion to try and get a job with my tattoos visible, because I work as a tattoo artist. But i don't doubt for a second that I have shut a huge number of career doors on myself.

Anyone on here who has met me can tell you I am a very harmless looking, short, rosy cheeked girl. I have a degree, i am an overly formal and polite person. I am well spoken (tbf, I sound pretty posh). But still an appreciable chunk of society treat me like a crack head when they meet me initially. People who interview you will never get past that initial meeting. there can be no doubt that these people will see to it that you will not get hired, as will the people who accept who you are but feel they are pressured by the way that life works.

I can imagine the effect would only be stronger if I were a shaven headed strapping young man.

watch your step.

Tbh I think it's more about how 'obvious' your tattoos are as well. A small black line tattoo won't make as much as an impact on someone as a coloured sleeve. Even if it's just the simple fact that you won't notice the black line as easily.

I've found with people (from their reactions to other/photos/tv) that the more in your face your tattoo, the more people tend to react and/or judge

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭mystique150

I think you are fooling yourself if you believe that having visible tattoos (particularly ones that make it clear that you are heavily tattooed....) don't effect job prospects. watch your step.

I have to agree with Bodice Ripper and its great to see such honesty on the matter, especially from an artist. I only have a couple of tattoos but plan to get more. In the area I work, I know people might judge me on my appearance and have made it a point only to get tattoos in areas that are covered most of the time. I love tattoos but you also need a bit of cop on if your hoping your neck piece or even a visible wrist tattoo won't effect job prospects. People will always judge you by their first impression, as hard, cruel and ignorant as that may be. I don't see this changing...

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ulinbac

Agree with Bodice,

A friend of mine recently got job with an english company where he will be working with banks. He has a few tattoos on his back, so not visible, but there was a distinct section of his contract saying that visible tattoos are a big no no (smoking aswell). If they are visible on the lower arm, you are not allowed to roll up your sleeves (even at work functions like staff day out), as it may offend colleagues and clients.

In many workplaces you may meet people from different backgrounds and they may get offended by seeing tattoos on people, which may effect business. tattoos are a lot more acceptable than before but not everyone is liberal towards them.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭edhead

My quick two cents.....unfortunately in IRL today tattooes do affect a multitude of scenarios in life. I have two full sleeves, many on my legs, finger, hand, toes even. Like the previous poster who works as artist - well I couldnt have said it any better. Just read her post again and its all there in a nutshell.

Sad but true, never got so much as even a parking ticket in all my life & Im 36, educated, and above scenario's that very knowlegable lady explains is part of my daily life.

Sometimes I thrive on it to be honest - thats the youthful/rebel side in me still alive & kicking.

Other times it gets me down and I feel slightly victimised, can feel embarresed even, rarely though, does happen on occasion.

Mostly my attitude is tough **** & grow up!

Below the wrists & above the neck and your forever scarred, no pun intended.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭polka dot

The amount of people I've seen working in cafes, supermarkets, restaurants, etc. with visible tattoos and facial piercings in Ireland is actually quite a lot. I'd say it completely depends on where you're applying for.

My step-dad wanted to work in a coffee shop and he asked about the tattoo on his forearm. They didn't have a problem with it as long as he kept his sleeves down (annoying in hot weather but sure what can you do!)

Wouldn't apply for a job in a pharmacy as having a visible tattoo would undermine confidence in the pharmacy.

Advertisement