Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wreckless addicts?

• 09-05-2011 7:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭

I wonder are fishermen actually addicted to their sport? My father might be a case in point here. All his life he has gone fishing no matter what else required his attention. Yesterday Lough Arrow was a mixture of dark black and tormented white as high winds raised it up into a frenzy. Yet there was maybe 6 boats out there fishing. A quick look through the binoculars and you get the by now stereotypical profile. Middle aged guy, no life jacket, on his own in a lake boat, spends the day moving around trying to find a sheltered spot.

At the very best, there can be absolutely no pleasure out in that! Gael force winds, you can't hear yourself think, and every hour or so you are battered by rain. Those lake boats are not ideal in choppy waters, they are too narrow and need weight. I think it must be madness, going out on the lake in these conditions. Madness or an addiction. Or maybe these guys are on the run from life, their families or what have you.

Upon mentioning it to me neighbour today, he told me that he heard three boats were overturned on Lough Mask yesterday. Point made? I dunno. Are they irresponsible? stupid? or simply addicted? who knows

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭dnme

Toned down for an Irish audience. Silence was unbearable.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Fishing is a bit like gambling, always after the big win/fish. Each day you go out you think this is the day I land the big one, and when you don't any change in the elements could mean a change in your luck, so if it's raining that may bring the big one up to the surface, or it's a full moon, a SW wind, anything.
    Sometimes fishing is about fishing and not catching you just spend the day with the rod over the side and contemplate life it's not just getting away from the wife and kids it's getting away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and for those few hours the weight is off your shoulders "we need this sometimes" As for your father there are a lot worse things he could be getting up to like drinking,gambling,restoring an old boat or even golf :D:D we all have our little getaways maybe you should pick up a rod and head out with him it can be a great father and son thing to do you don't even have to talk to each other just the odd smirk or wink of a eye can be enough conversion to make it a day to remember,You could even wear a lifejacket and encourage him to do the same.
    017-1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭dnme

Is that you pictured?

I used to fish myself. I know all about it. I'm really interested to know what others think about going out in small lake boats in stormy conditions?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Yep that's me taken two years ago :D

I know what your saying about going out in stormy conditions I just lost two friends for that reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

Fergal i think you lost weight since that photo :D feckin great one to have happy smiley face just cant be beat!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭murphym7

I think some of it is the challenge too - man versus nature, batteling the elements. It is a bit of a buzz going out in bad weather, you can feel you're in the cast of the "perfect storm". Then again, Fergal is probably right - the bigger buzz is the next big fish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

I'd love to be interrested in fishing, just dont have the patience. It would be great to have some reason to spend time on the water without getting into the wetsuit (other than the obvious relaxing thing.)

Sailing is my thing. Dont get me wrong I love watersports like skiing, canoeing and cruising but I get a kick from looking out the window first thing in the morning, seeing tin roofs and livestock blowing past, and knowing that while everyone else is inside bored watching re-runs of Top Gear I'll be having a ball on the water. Its also something where you actually go out to be on the water not just travel from A-B, the opposite to cruising almost. Kinda what I'd imagine fishing is to other people.

As regards lifejackets I suppose its the Rural Irish thing. Like farmers that you see walking around with broken limbs because going to the doctor would be seen a 'soft' or school kids wearing t-shirts in winter to prove how tough they are.

When we bought our 20' cruiser in England it had flares, a lifebuoy and emergency lighting in case of a capsize. This stuff was all compulsory over there. Here all you need to be seaworthy is a little yellow sticker with your WWI number on it.

Advertisement