Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Parking Outside The City Centre

Options
  • 09-05-2011 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭

Hey Guys,
    I'm driving in from Ballybrit every day at the moment and parking on the Dyke Road.
    Is there anywhere along Bohermore that people can park for free?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I don't think there's anywhere in Bohermore TBH
    If there is, they won't be telling you!biggrin.gif

I used to live in Cill Ard and you need parking permits.

Ballybrit - Parkmore bus every 15mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Ballybrit - Parkmore bus every 15mins.

Have to agree with this. Thats a silly drive to be doing every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Myself and My sister are traveling in together every day for work and it's working out at €100 per month for parking at the moment... To get a monthly pass each for the bus it's working out at €110... free parking seems like the better option :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Myself and My sister are traveling in together every day for work and it's working out at €100 per month for parking at the moment... To get a monthly pass each for the bus it's working out at €110... free parking seems like the better option :D

Monthly pass is €55 these days?! :eek: I admit its well over a year since i was busing myself.

What about the cost of petrol too though?

If your happy driving i'm afraid dyke road is the only cheapish parking option really.

• Advertisement

yup €55 each!!!
    however, if the company agreed to do the travel saver scheme it'd only be around €39 or so....
    yeah the dyke road was the only cheapish option I could find :/

The only free parking is so far away from town, you'd end up walking for 15mins+, considering the bus goes every 15mins it would be cheaper and quicker to get that in fairness.

Plus even from a 15min walk, the free parking may only be an area where the P+D isn't enforced, you could still end up getting a ticket.

Closest area to the west of the city centre is Salthill where you wouldn't have to worry about a ticket, which is a bus journey in itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Here's an idea:

http://www.biketowork.ie/

The only free parking is so far away from town, you'd end up walking for 15mins+, considering the bus goes every 15mins it would be cheaper and quicker to get that in fairness.

Plus even from a 15min walk, the free parking may only be an area where the P+D isn't enforced, you could still end up getting a ticket.

Closest area to the west of the city centre is Salthill where you wouldn't have to worry about a ticket, which is a bus journey in itself.

Buses are every 30 mins in Ballybrit which sucks! Plus when I am on the 8am shift, there's no bus early enough to get me into town for it!

Sofa King wrote: »

The company doesn't facilitate the bike to work scheme :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Buses are every 30 mins in Ballybrit which sucks! Plus when I am on the 8am shift, there's no bus early enough to get me into town for it!

Good point - its daft that still so many of the bus services in Galway City start at the time when so many potential bus commuters actually start work. Re bike - you could still pick up a good bike without going via the biketowork scheme. Even if you just used the bike on the dry/bright/summer days you should save money in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

Perhaps park down near the barracks and walk in on the line, or park along the renmore side of lough atalia and do the quick 10 min walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Sure'n is petrol free these days? I never knew.

If you're at the town end of Ballybrit, you'd be as well walking in to town.

If you're at the Briarhill end, walk up to Dunnes to catch the Parkmore bus, first one into town is 7am.

Good point - its daft that still so many of the bus services in Galway City start at the time when so many potential bus commuters actually start work. Re bike - you could still pick up a good bike without going via the biketowork scheme. Even if you just used the bike on the dry/bright/summer days you should save money in the long run.

Maybe that's true for most routes, but from what the timetable says it's not the case here.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1304951475-GalwayCity9.pdf

Every 15mins from before 7am, only every 30mins if it passes through Castlepark

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202229968-Galway3.pdf

I'm sure the distance between the stops though isn't much, Parkmore in my mind is Ballybrit which is every 15mins.

JustMary wrote: »
    Sure'n is petrol free these days? I never knew.

With the shared parking costing less than the ticket its well worth the additional cost of petrol for the convenience and comfort of the car imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Maybe that's true for most routes, but from what the timetable says it's not the case here.

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1304951475-GalwayCity9.pdf

Every 15mins from before 7am, only every 30mins if it passes through Castlepark

http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1202229968-Galway3.pdf

I'm sure the distance between the stops though isn't much, Parkmore in my mind is Ballybrit which is every 15mins.

I dont think the OP is on the NO 9. Parkmork Bus Route and NO 3 Ballybrit Bus first bus into town leaves the Ballybrit terminus at 08h00 - the time the OP starts work in town.

There is an ad in the Galway Independent offering a 24/7 reserved parking space in the Fairgreen car park for €60 per month
    http://www.eurocarparks.ie/galwayparking/
    It sounds like a good deal to me if you are already paying ~ €100 for Monday to Friday 9 - 5

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

I think parking at the Harbour (behind the Harbour Hotel/ Ce na Mara apartments) is €60 per month too..

Advertisement