Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sports being played in common courtyard

Options
  • 09-05-2011 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

Whats the story with common courtyards of apartment complexes? In ours, every day from 5pm to 8.30ish a group of about 6 indian guys, who live here, are out there playing cricket. They`re REALLY noisy, balls fly onto balconies, etc Have they a right to play there? Windows aren`t soundproofed well enough so I can hear the fu%kers every day when I get home and want to unwind. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I think you need to relax. :)
    They are finishing up pretty early

Wait until Wimbledon and the children in your complex will be playing tennis every evening in your courtyard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭u60gypx5jakoti

I can`t relax because of the noise they are making. These are adults, not children. The question is not the time of the day, it`s whether they are allowed to cause such disturbance at all. If you can`t answer my questions or at least post helpful advice you can keep your thoughts to yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

My advice is contact your management company. Due to compo culture they may have a rule on sports

I can`t relax.........If you can`t answer my questions or at least post helpful advice you can keep your thoughts to yourself.

Well it's fairly obvious you can't relax!
    So instead of getting worked up on boards behind a username, go let them know what your issue is. Have you talked to them?
    Or are you afraid to approach six men with cricket bats?

They`ve been told to keep the noise down or move somewhere else, but they are ignorant people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 barron

If they disturb you so hard than ask them to be more quietly, if it will not work than you can do nothing i think...

• Advertisement

If our landlord and management company can not prevent these Indians from making such a racket every day for hours on end are we entitled to give notice to leave as they would be failing to provide us with "peaceful occupation" of the premises as per the Residential Tenancies Act, and would we not be held liable for the remainder of our lease(barring the notice period)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

You are entitled to quiet enjoyment, but that doesn't mean no noise at all. You say they have been asked to be quiet or move. How did they react, and who asked them? What does your lease/ the management company rules say?

The only way you can get out of the lease based on that if there are serious, documented issues. So for example if they have knocked over plants on your balcony/ broken your windows several times. Or if they are so loud it is considered unreasonable, but that would need to be documented by decibel readings.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I doubt there will be any clause/rule that forbids them from playing sport.

I also doubt that any clause in your own lease would allow you to move before of some noise like this. The noise is within normal hours (not late at night/early morning), and it's simply a few lads playing a bit of cricket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

It really depends on what the common area is like whether they can play there are not. There could easily be a clause prohibiting ball games or one put in place by the management company. The problem is it could be just you who is bothered.

You could always be using the area before they come down to play cricket

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

OP whats with the racist tones in your posts.

Why did you feel the need to point out they are Indian ? Why did you call them "ignorant people" sounds to me your issue is as much down to their nationalilty as anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

D3PO wrote: »
    OP whats with the racist tones in your posts.

Why did you feel the need to point out they are Indian ? Why did you call them "ignorant people" sounds to me your issue is as much down to their nationalilty as anything else.

I find Indian people to less ignorant than Irish people by a considerable distance. OP, tbh, if they are finishing up at 830 in the evening and are not playing late at night, I see that as being quite respectful of their neighbours.

It is a common area after all? Are people allowed have barbeques and play music in the same space? Are people allowed kick a ball?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Whats the story with common courtyards of apartment complexes? In ours, every day from 5pm to 8.30ish a group of about 6 indian guys, who live here, are out there playing cricket. They`re REALLY noisy, balls fly onto balconies, etc Have they a right to play there? Windows aren`t soundproofed well enough so I can hear the fu%kers every day when I get home and want to unwind. :mad:
    One of the beautiful sounds of summer...the health of the nation is more important than peace and quiet before 8.30pm, maybe the country would be a better place if the irish went out and joined them instead of sitting on their holes every evening..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭HardyEustace

If you haven't lived beside someone who is INCREDIBLY loud then it's hard to appreciate just how difficult it is.

Plus if it's in a courtyard surrounded by apartments, I'd say that the noise is being bounced around the surrounding walls and becoming even more annoying.

They've already been asked to be quiet and to move on and they have not.

It does highlight the lack of sporting facilities in this country but that's not really the point of this post. I feel really sorry for the poster. If I have to come home to wall to wall noise every evening and cricket balls bouncing off my walls, window and balcony, it would drive me crazy.

The courtyard of an apartment block is not a suitable place for a cricket match. It's very different to a couple of kids kicking a soft ball around.

I'd get the management company involved.

. It's very different to a couple of kids kicking a soft ball around.

No it isnt. Firstly there is no way they are using a cricket ball because A it would get ripped to shreds on concrete in less than a minute and B because a cricket ball weights 5 1/2 oz and would be smashing windows left right and centre. They are using a tennis ball I suspect and infact I suspect its a taped tennis ball as that is generally what they use which woudl reduce the sound on a normal tennis ball.

Anyway thats besides the point. Its a common area for anybody to use. The only question that is relevent is are they allows play sports there or not and the only person who can answer that most likely is the management agent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Why not go out and ask for a game? Sounds like fun and 5 to 8 is hardly unreasonable.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

It's an unfortunate situation, I can only commend you for not loosing your head with them OP.

When I read some of the posts here it reminded me of this.

No it isnt.

You don't actually know that. You're not there, you don't know the levels of noise or disturbance involved. I doubt that the op would be posting if it was just a low level of noise or disruption.
    Anyway thats besides the point. Its a common area for anybody to use. The only question that is relevent is are they allows play sports there or not and the only person who can answer that most likely is the management agent.
    I don't think it is beside a point. And I think that you have raised another very important point. Yes, it is a common area, and is there for people to enjoy. I doubt that anyone feels that the can use this area if there is a full flung cricket match going on every evening.

I agree with many of the posters that it's very important to encourage people to play sport in the evening. It's great for a community and a great way for people to get to know each other. I just really do not think that an apartment courtyard is the place for it. I would say that same if they were playing football, hurling or rounders.

I just really do not think that an apartment courtyard is the place for it. I would say that same if they were playing football, hurling or rounders.

I agree with you but just because we dont think its appropriate doesnt mean its against the complex rules.

I agree with you but just because we dont think its appropriate doesnt mean its against the complex rules.

That's a very good point.

In a way, I think that one of the suggestions by a previous poster to go out and join in, might not be a bad one. You get to know your neighbours a bit and build a bit of a community relationship.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

Complain to the Management Company via the Agent if necessary. Your landlord should have contact details.

• Advertisement

Woah, first of all, tabnabs, your video link is appropriate in displaying the hostility I have suddenly encountered here for expressing my simple wish for a peaceful home. Thanks for recognizing that suddenly people think I`m the bad guy here.
    From the top, dealing with the posts; I personally asked them to try and keep the noise down, twice. Both times I was laughed at and made fun of in the Indian language(some of them spoke Indian to me, the others laughed, so I assumed I was the butt of the jokes.) When I left they carried on playing regardless, and now everytime I look out my balcony I get jeered and waved at. And I`m not the only one, I have seen others get the same treatment. So, yes, they are ignorant people.
    And by people, D3PO, I mean these group of guys, not the Indian peoples. I am not racist and there is no racist tone in my language regardless of how you may interpret it. Why can`t I mention that they come from India? If they came from Brazil and were playing football I would call them Brazilians. Would that make me racist?
    The common are is a paved courtyard with pathways, for walking, and bike stands for bikes. It is not a field, or pitch, or court, or beach or public area. BBQs are not allowed, children are not allowed play there unless supervised, music is not allowed to be played from there, it`s not a public park.
    Ash.J.Williams, I don`t sit on my hole every evening, I exercise 6 days a week at different times of the day, schedule dependant. I do however try to study for exams in the evenings after work and would appreciate a peaceful home in which to do so. I`m all for people getting outside and exercising or playing sports, like I do myself, but not to the detriment of other peoples wellbeing.
    HardyEustace, yes, they are incredibly loud, louder than most others I`ve ever heard before, even children. And the sound bouncing due to the courtyard being surrounded is exacerbating the problem.
    Obviously, the idea of me joining them is not going to happen due to their ignorant nature. And remember D3PO, by them I am referring to these guys, not all Indians.
    I have left a voicemail with the letting agent and will hopefully speak to them when they return my call about whether the courtyard can be used for playing sports or not, as that would obviously clarify things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Check with your management agent. I would be surprised if your common area insurance would allow playing of ballsports. Ours doesn't. The risk to people, vehicles and property is an insurance risk. It amazes me that there is a HUGE park 2 mins away but people decide the car park is the best place for football :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Yep, this is what management companies are there for. If you have seen other neighbours being affected, I would knock around to them and talk with them about it-ask them to report it aswell. Most likely very little will get done about it if its just you who goes to the management company, but if a few express disatisfaction then something will be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,393 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Recommend them to a cricket club. http://www.cricketleinster.ie/clubs

Or talk to them individually or find someone who speaks Hindi that can approach them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Both times I was laughed at and made fun of in the Indian language(some of them spoke Indian to me, the others laughed, so I assumed I was the butt of the jokes.)

Are you sure they're from India? They could be from Pakistan or Sri Lanka. India doesn't have one language, but has a good number of different languages. So, yes, your comments do seem a bit racist.
    The common are is a paved courtyard with pathways, for walking, and bike stands for bikes. It is not a field, or pitch, or court, or beach or public area. BBQs are not allowed, children are not allowed play there unless supervised, music is not allowed to be played from there, it`s not a public park.

True, it's not a public park, it's a private common area, for residents in the development. If these people reside there, then they are entitled to play there (as long as there are no development rules forbidding it).
    I have left a voicemail with the letting agent and will hopefully speak to them when they return my call about whether the courtyard can be used for playing sports or not, as that would obviously clarify things.

The letting agent will have to talk to your landlord, who can then check his Lease contract and see if there is any clause forbidding ball games in the common area. There may not be, in which case, these guys are entitled to play there and there is not much more you can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I really don't think that them playing cricket until 8.30 is that unreasonable, it's probably their way of relaxing after work. Most apartments state that noise must be kept to a minimum after 10pm or something so in that respect it's probably not against the rules. However, if there is a clause that states that no ball games are to be played in the common areas then you would have grounds to complain to the management company.

When you live in an apartment complex you have to accept that you are sharing a small enough area with a large amount of people so are likely to come across situations like this. A bit of flexibility wouldn't go amiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Paulw wrote: »
    Are you sure they're from India? They could be from Pakistan or Sri Lanka. India doesn't have one language, but has a good number of different languages. So, yes, your comments do seem a bit racist.

Ah go easy, if anything his comments were slightly ignorant but were not racist.
    And even if the OP is aware of the various cricket playing populations from South East Asia, the odds would be in his favour to assume they were Indian.

But back to the actual issue, I agree with you that ultimately it will depend if a rule exists or not.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    When you live in an apartment complex you have to accept that you are sharing a small enough area with a large amount of people so are likely to come across situations like this. A bit of flexibility wouldn't go amiss.

In fairness, the OP has explained that he did go over and try and reason with them and was met with nothing but bad manners and abuse.

I'd say they have been more than fair and flexible.

Until you have lived beside someone who is incredibly noisy you really have no idea just have invasive and tiring it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭tara73

OP, after your second explanation about the situation, that you approached them already directly and they were disrespectful, I think you are in the right here.

as one other poster said, try to get together as a group and complain with the management agency/LL. always better than being on your own with it.

it sounds if these guys acting over the top. constant, really loud noise from one group isn't acceptable in an apartment complex.

• Advertisement
Advertisement