Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which certs?

Options
  • 09-05-2011 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi! :D

I'm currently finishing a higher cert in computer networking and optical communications and I'm looking. To get a few certs to bolster my job prospects! I plan to get CCNA basic and CCNA security by the end of summer(maybe voice too if I have time). What other certs will help me distinguish myself? My Course focused on win2k3 so maybe a 2k8 cert?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

It really depends on what you want to do.
    You used the word "distinguish", I don't feel that the certs you listed would "distinguish" you.

I mean this in the most constructive way, if you want to stand out you should choose something that:

A) Is common, but you can do better than anyone else out there.

or

B) Is not very common that you can become very good at.

This is the foundation, once you have that in place its up to you to distinguish yourself by your work / projects/ contracts. You should see becoming certified as the starting line and not the finishing line.

CCNA is a good start, I can assure you that R&S engineers are in serious demand (like you wouldn't believe) and if you can get good at it you will go a long way.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Doriath

Hey dude! Thanks for the quick reply!

Being distinguished is also "relevant", I'm a young guy fresh out of college, if I get 2 or 3 Certs the summer after I finish, that's more impressive than taking a year off study etc... My theory anyway :p it's what I meant by distinguish anyway! :)

I plan to eventually get a masters in networking security, plus get all the CCNP certs but I'm still early day, I'm not sure if getting a few CCNA certs would make me more employable or having a ms server cert as well... What do ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

CCNA and MS certs both have a lot of recognition value with HR departments, especially if you compare it to some of the more esoteric certificates. To be fair, I think either one could give you an edge, especially if you are on the milkround or similar but, and this is important, if you put CCNA or whatever on your CV, you had better be able to answer CCNA type questions in the interview.

We had a guy come in and interview for a grad position a few years ago. Usually, all you'd be looking for is someone who is presentable (check) and has his head screwed on (also check, in this case). What made this guy stand out was that he had a few certs listed on his CV; CCNA or ICND1 or something amongst others. And what made him lose the position was that he couldn't answer simple questions about IP traffic, which we probably wouldn't have asked if he didn't have the certs listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Doriath

thanks for the reply Briano! just curious but what questions would you ask? I kinda know the CCNA inside and out but im used to the multiple choice questions!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

well, for the most part it would be checking that you can see the application of the theory, if you get what I mean. for instance, instead of asking what the difference between tcp and udp is; one might get asked in what situations would udp be preferable to tcp and why?

A different example might be to explain why telnet could still be used instead of ssh or what the function of a specific protocol is, as it relates to a specific environment

I suppose the important thing is that if it on your cv, you should assume you will be asked about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

iRock wrote: »
    I can assure you that R&S engineers are in serious demand (like you wouldn't believe) and if you can get good at it you will go a long way.
    What are R&S engineers?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 szafa

What are R&S engineers?

Routing and Switching engineer

Advertisement