Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

teacher refusing to teach !!

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

gaeilgebeo wrote: »
    Well if your brother has the same attitude you seem to have , then I can completely see why the teacher is refusing to teach him.

more than likely the young man was out of line on more than one occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

canonball5 wrote: »
    Delta thank you this is the sort of post i was looking for.A meeting has been held and afraid did not go well.It ended up with the teacher in question walking out as he felt he was not being protected by the school.He then sent a letter to the board saying how disappointed he was with the school and would refuse the teach my brother!!
    Oh good, my point about teachers often being isolated is confirmed by the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Fuinseog wrote: »
    more than likely the young man was out of line on more than one occasion.

I think the problem here is that we're second guessing the ins and outs of what actually happened..not even the OP really and truly knows the full story..

it could have been a once off mutter under the breath to another student which was over heard OR at the other end of the spectrum it could have been constant intimidation and undermining of the teacher..

The point is that the 2 parties are where they are now ,

On one hand there is a teacher who is refusing to give in to a 3rd year's wishes to bury the hatchet after serving a suspension.
    On the other side there is a student who seems to be sorry and WANTS to get on with things. (and probably won't want to be near the teacher for the next 3 years)

Armelodie wrote: »
    On one hand there is a teacher who is refusing to give in to a 3rd year's wishes to bury the hatchet after serving a suspension.
    On the other side there is a student who seems to be sorry and WANTS to get on with things. (and probably won't want to be near the teacher for the next 3 years)
    No, you have a student who now realises that he was actually relying on the teacher that he insulted. It doesn't exactly sound like he's seen the error of his ways and learned the true meaning of Christmas.

As someone else said, this is actually a good life lesson for him. Treat people the way that you would like to be treated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Art Teacher

At the end of the day;

The primary facts are that;

the student made a highly discriminatory remark, which is unlawful.

There is no facts in this thread to establish that the teacher is protected from futher acts of this nature happening again or that the effects of the discriminatory remark has been reversed.

The onus is on the school to provide the above rights to the teacher. Irrespective of the school, the student can make amends with a written apology that can reverse the effects and ensure that it will never happen again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭Rosita

Godge wrote: »
    Eh no,

As a parent of teenagers, I think that it is certainly a forseeable occupational hazard that a teacher can expect irrational, sometimes insulting comment/abuse from teenagers. Well if you have any sense of modern teenagers, you would.

I teach 150+ modern teenagers on a daily basis if that qualifies as
    "having a sense of them". In fact I think I have far more of a sense of them as a teacher than as a parent as I see them in unguarded moments.

I utterly diagree with you. Foreseeable ocupational hazards for teachers are having classes disrupted; having students call others gay; having students giving BS excuses and lying through their teeth about not doing work; having students call others 'little knackers'; having 14 year old students thrusting their hips while telling their friend about how good their "Ma" was; having students chuck stuff at each etc. etc. ad nauseam.

A lot of this, while gross, has to be ignored because most of the parents wouldn't believe it in a million years and the parents that would couldn't care less.

But, unlike you, I do not consider someone having to field sexually loaded comments as a part-and-parcel-of-the-job foreseeable hazard that you sign up for as a teacher. If people think it is God help us all. What kind of society have we if a parent of a teenager thinks that 'it is just one of those things' that a teacher should expect as part of the job?

Are there to be no boundaries any more? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Folks OP here again,as someone has already said I think this post was posted in the wrong section.I'm shocked and dissapointed with some of the replys given here,and not just because the majority of you agree with the teacher in this case.
    Maybe if you looked at working with family and students instead of having the "them and us" attitude maybe people would have more respect and appreciate teachers more.
    I recently received a Phd and have been in education for over 20yrs and I really hope that new teachers are taught some common sense and are not on a ego trip like many others.
    I would be interested to hear if the teachers who have left more negative comments would come from the older generation of teachers or not.
    But have what do I know,maybe I should have got a Hdip too !!

Mods feel free to lock this thread if you see fit !

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

Dear cannonball 5
    I think you are missing certain important points Your brother was/is one pupil amongst hundreds in his school and up to 30 plus in his class, quite a few of them are struggling to deal with the realisation that they ARE gay. P**s like your brother don’t help.
    Our local Boys secondary school which had a fantastic reputation was ruined by a head teacher that failed to back the teachers trying to deal with bullies and class clowns. The local parents reacted by moving their kids out or not sending them at all. I was one.
    It is funny in a sad way seeing the same young men now unemployed with not even a apprenticeship on offer. I know these lads they are not bad kids just f*****g idiots. The people that are to blame are their parents. As soon as their little angels were in trouble their mums and dads were/ are up at the school shouting the odds. My son wouldn’t do that etc Your just picking on him bla bla
    The same school lost a brilliant teacher when he/she took early retirement as they got worn down by the sexist jibes and snide remarks, because of government cuts was not replaced -- now the boys in leaving year and their parents are moaning.
    I am old and in my day a 14 year old was almost a man and had to answer for his actions and when I was in the position to employ apprentices and trainee’s I paid a bit above the going rate but any cheek and I sacked them no argument out you go.
    That’s the world your brother going into an the sooner he and you cop on the better. Next time your boss or customer gets on your nerves insult him and see what happens
    You care so much you help him with his art project, My daughter helped her younger brother with his.
    No I am not teacher just a dad

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I recently received a Phd and have been in education for over 20yrs and I really hope that new teachers are taught some common sense and are not on a ego trip like many others.

Commented on this before so won't go further into it, but this is one of those cases where because someone has been taught, they think they know what it meants to teach; because they've been in a classroom, they think they know what teacher's job entails fully.

Strikes me you made this topic expecting to get teachers badmouthing the teacher in question and wanted only opinions which backed up yours. What you didn't see coming, and are thus rejecting, are comments whereby the teachers (shock and horror) back up the teacher.

You came on to a teaching board to ask teachers their opinions. You've got them. I'm sorry they aren't the opinions which you wanted to hear but that's the risk you take when you throw a question up on a message board.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

nick 56 wrote: »
    Dear cannonball 5
    I think you are missing certain important points Your brother was/is one pupil amongst hundreds in his school and up to 30 plus in his class, quite a few of them are struggling to deal with the realisation that they ARE gay. P**s like your brother don’t help.
    Our local Boys secondary school which had a fantastic reputation was ruined by a head teacher that failed to back the teachers trying to deal with bullies and class clowns. The local parents reacted by moving their kids out or not sending them at all. I was one.
    It is funny in a sad way seeing the same young men now unemployed with not even a apprenticeship on offer. I know these lads they are not bad kids just f*****g idiots. The people that are to blame are their parents. As soon as their little angels were in trouble their mums and dads were/ are up at the school shouting the odds. My son wouldn’t do that etc Your just picking on him bla bla
    The same school lost a brilliant teacher when he/she took early retirement as they got worn down by the sexist jibes and snide remarks, because of government cuts was not replaced -- now the boys in leaving year and their parents are moaning.
    I am old and in my day a 14 year old was almost a man and had to answer for his actions and when I was in the position to employ apprentices and trainee’s I paid a bit above the going rate but any cheek and I sacked them no argument out you go.
    That’s the world your brother going into an the sooner he and you cop on the better. Next time your boss or customer gets on your nerves insult him and see what happens
    You care so much you help him with his art project, My daughter helped her younger brother with his.
    No I am not teacher just a dad

Nick i promised the last post would be my last but I just had to reply,a 14 yr old in this day and age is not a man. As the way you treat people who work for you I hope your people skills have improved since then,no wonder the country is in the ****s if people like you can hire people.Maybe if you allowed people to express themselfs and show what they can really do they could have done something really good for you.
    It's not an art project as has been pointed out.Attention the detail is not a strong point hey nick !!!
    Now I'm sure my bad attitude will be brought up again...

• Advertisement

Folks OP here again,as someone has already said I think this post was posted in the wrong section.I'm shocked and dissapointed with some of the replys given here,and not just because the majority of you agree with the teacher in this case.
    Total cloud cuckoo land. The idea of teachers working with parents for the benefit of the student went out the window some years ago. Now it's the student and the parents versus the teacher. Teachers would love to ally with the parents, but the parents are so defensive about their precious babies, the teacher is automatically in the wrong.

You seem to be suffering from a touch of this too.

By the way, I'm not even a teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

canonball5, you came to this forum looking for opinions. You got varying opinions from teachers and parents. It seems that the majority did not give you the answer that you were looking for. Boards.ie is a discussion forum and if you choose to look for advice here then you need to accept the answers given. As you seem unwilling to do so, and as you have requested that this thread be locked, I am locking it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement