Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What method to pay for holiday home rental?

Options
  • 09-05-2011 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭

I have a house booked for Race Week in Galway. I've paid a €200 deposit by cheque a few months ago and need to pay the rest off soon enough.They sent me an email confirming this a some sort of receipt.

I'm just wondering what the best payment method is so I have some sort of proof and security if, on the off chance, they try to screw me over. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭pooch90

Any place I've ever rented took the balance in cash on arrival. I wouldn't be too willing to hand over the full amount without being at the place and having a look over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

pooch90 wrote: »
    Any place I've ever rented took the balance in cash on arrival. I wouldn't be too willing to hand over the full amount without being at the place and having a look over it.
    Thanks for the reply. That sounds like the best idea alright. They were asking to pay the rest off this month but that didn't sound right so I'll get back to them soon enough and let them know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Normally I'd concur with Pooch90's point of paying cash on arrival. However it is Galway Race week and they could probably have rented the place 3 or 4 times over so I'd tread carefully. Do you have a contract with a schedule of payment dates with them? Ift could have been communicated to you by contract which can be verbal or a list of T&C's on their website outlining their policy.

So you need to use a form of payment where you have a receipt proving the payment took place. A credit card bill does this but if they are a small operation they may not have such a facility. Next best option is too ask for their bank details, lodge the money and take the bank stamped receipt with you. The least preferable method apart from paying cash is to get a bank draft in their name. Then post it by registered mail whereby they have to sign for it. Request a reciept by post as soon as it is received. Keep your registered letter receipt and the one from the bank draft as proof the money was paid up.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭clonadlad

RATM wrote: »
    Normally I'd concur with Pooch90's point of paying cash on arrival. However it is Galway Race week and they could probably have rented the place 3 or 4 times over so I'd tread carefully. Do you have a contract with a schedule of payment dates with them? Ift could have been communicated to you by contract which can be verbal or a list of T&C's on their website outlining their policy.

So you need to use a form of payment where you have a receipt proving the payment took place. A credit card bill does this but if they are a small operation they may not have such a facility. Next best option is too ask for their bank details, lodge the money and take the bank stamped receipt with you. The least preferable method apart from paying cash is to get a bank draft in their name. Then post it by registered mail whereby they have to sign for it. Request a reciept by post as soon as it is received. Keep your registered letter receipt and the one from the bank draft as proof the money was paid up.
    I don't think it's a company renting the house, just someone who owns it. They said in January that I could pay the rest off some time in May but I haven't had any contact with them since but I'm sure everything will be grand. I might take your idea on a stamped bank draft and registered mail so I'll have some sort of insurance if something goes wrong.

Advertisement