Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kitchen and Foodhall in Portlaoise closes down...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 fitefuaite

I'm literally only after hearing it.

Can't believe it.... It was one of the busiest and best known places in Portlaoise..

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

ah what a pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

Shocked to say the least... Upward only rent reviews must be stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

enviro wrote: »
    Shocked to say the least... Upward only rent reviews must be stopped.

Indeed... and our county councils must look at rate collections in a different way... it should be fairer to abolish rates in favour of a 1% turnover tax or something along those lines...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

The landlord DOUBLED the rent alledgedly. From what i understand, Humes are the landlords.......SHAME ON THEM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

MidlandsM wrote: »
    The landlord DOUBLED the rent alledgedly.

Cut, nose, spite, face, springs to mind.

29 years..................so hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Wow I can't believe it. Where to go now for a good coffee?

the cafe on the theatre do a nice one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 FreddyKreuger

The new place at the end of the town opposite Shaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I used to frequent Jim's years ago, when it was just a small place. It's a huge loss for Portlaoise as he put the town on the map where food was concerned and he ran a good business (a little expensive for me!). Hopefully he'll find another (better) premises and start again, no doubt he would enjoy great local support.

I think there's no doubt he'll start up again. Lots of premises for him to choose from, and upwards only rent agreements are now illegal, so its a good time to restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭mamakitten

I read about it in the paper toady, very sad alright, even more so if its true about the landlord doubling the rent :mad:. I would say Jim will start up somewhere else but its not fair, he shouldnt have to after 29 yrs here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

That Hume crowd should be boycotted - and told why! I'm only living in Portlaoise for three years but I loved Jim's Kitchen - not just the food (excellent) but the general atmosphere. And Jim himself seemed like a good, hardworking guy - always on hand himself and very helpful.
    If landlors continue to get away with this they country has no hope whatsoever of recovery. When someone managed to keep a business afloat in this day and age and keep employing local people they should be encouraged, not shut down.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

I can only say I'm shocked, and saddened at this news.

If it was due to an upward rent review then the landlord deserves boycotting.

Best of luck to Jim and his crew, his place was the best thing about Portlaoise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Its the rent AND the council.

Its disgusting, i've only had food there once but it was lovely. I'd love to see him opening else where. BUT i would ask after 29 yrs why he hasn't bought his own place ???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

Couple of things here.

First off Hume Auctioneers was sold years ago to another fellow, the name of the business was retained as often happens.

Has it been confirmed that Mr. Hume actually owns the property before the mob descends on his house?

As Elvis pointed out, the rent was flagged as an issue. The rates and water charges were too. I find it strange that a private individual (i.e. the landlord) is taking all of the flack here while government (local and otherwise) who constantly prove their ineffectiveness to support small business get's off scot free!

Also, keep in mind that the rent that was previously being charged MIGHT have been lower than the going rate now. It would depend on the terms of the lease in place.

If you were the landlord on a premises where the terms were massively below market value for the last 5 years due to changing market conditions, would you not look to increase the rents to current rates? Is it your problem that the business is no longer viable? All I'm trying to point out here is that things are rarely as clean cut as is being made out here.

I think it is very sad to see a land mark business close. Slowly but surely that side of Portlaoise along with main street is getting very run down. It would be great to see that business reappear else where but I have my doubts. Rents on properties of the required size in Portlaoise are very restrictive, I can speak to this from personal experience recently. Location is key for a restaurant which restricts it further.

Here's hoping.

his place was the best thing about Portlaoise.

Bit of an over-exaggeration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭enviro

In food terms I suspect

Ok, what else is good about Portlaoise? I mean, really, really, good, better than other towns, better than adequate, better than so-so.

I can't think of any, but I'd love to find some.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Ok, what else is good about Portlaoise? I mean, really, really, good, better than other towns, better than adequate, better than so-so.

Friday lunch in the kingfisher................

cakes from mc cormacks..............

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Zam Zam! When it was Zam Zam, now, not so much.

I think its safe to say Jims was not the best thing our town has to offer. Dont get me wrong the place is a kip but its better than most of the surrounding areas. Then again, I rarely frequented Jims, cheap kebabs are more my thing than over priced coffee.

Jims was damn good, as in serious foody good. Better than Tullamore, Newbridge, Kildare, maybe Kilkenny.

Second rate curry house? Nah, Chippers? Nah. Get them anywhere.

Not convinced yet.

DO better.

Jims was damn good, as in serious foody good. Better than Tullamore, Newbridge, Kildare, maybe Kilkenny.

Overpriced tray food. I think not. I can find the same, if not far better in any of the towns you just mentioned. Portlaoise is a kip and especially food wise. If I had to choose a good food place, I'd go with Lemon Tree. Square Meal is alright too. Mayur also is good.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

Have to say I agree Portlaoise is a bit of a kip- especially in late evenings,some of the clientele a bit dicey, but it was always touch and go,even a few decades ago.
    - however, few nice pubs(Kavanaghs comedy club is good craic), few nice restaurants( Mayur,Spagos...) and the Dunamaise theatre.....
    like everywhere, it's up to us to get out and make use of what's there,no?

• Advertisement

sas wrote: »
    Has it been confirmed that Mr. Hume actually owns the property before the mob descends on his house?

are you in an amateur dramatics society? :D

Re; Jims food, yes, overpriced and too rich, staff could be surly too, but it was a good employer and a gastronomic mainstay for lunch and coffee in Portloaise for a long time.

Good swimming pool, astro turf pitches, good people (scumbags excepted)
    Veles wrote: »
    Golden Grill!
    nyom nyom :pac:

yes, Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....nom nom:)

Advertisement