Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kitchen and Foodhall in Portlaoise closes down...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

MidlandsM wrote: »
    are you in an amateur dramatics society? :D

When I start reading "boycott" etc. certain images come to mind...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

sas wrote: »
    When I start reading "boycott" etc. certain images come to mind...

pitchforks..........:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I am only living in Portlaoise for three years and it disappoints me to hear it being referred to as a "kip". I dont work in the town so I'm not here during the day but I have to say I have found most places (including Jim's Kitchen) to be quite good.
    Could I ask if it is the local people (ie natives) who are referring to the town as a kip? Most people I now that have moved here seem to be fairly happy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 FreddyKreuger

Shazanne wrote: »
    I am only living in Portlaoise for three years and it disappoints me to hear it being referred to as a "kip". I dont work in the town so I'm not here during the day but I have to say I have found most places (including Jim's Kitchen) to be quite good.
    Could I ask if it is the local people (ie natives) who are referring to the town as a kip? Most people I now that have moved here seem to be fairly happy.

Born and raised in Portlaoise and I have no problems in calling it a kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

I find that so sad. If you think of others twons around the country who have no leisure facilities, no great shopping facilities, no parks etc, surely Portlaoise must be deemed better than those.
    Why do you think its a kip and what town around here would you consider to be better?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,592 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i visit a lot of laois towns quite regularly and portlaoise has an awful lot going for it for a county town.
    When the works finally finish for the shopping center extension you will have a retail area to rival whitewater in newbridge and better than anything tullamore has.

as towns in laois go, mountrath is the most depressing.. colourless and bland.
    rathdowney is no better, too much concrete and tar and not enough plantation.
    Mountmellick is slightly better but still lacks so many facilities for a town of its size.
    Abbeyleix is lovely to visit and appreciate, but theres not much in it for the inhabitants.. a few pubs, one newsagents, depressing supermarkets.. thats about it.

Portarlington has pretty much doubled in population in 15 years, so there are some facilities but not enough to match its size. It never appears attractive or clean either, not from a litter sense, but more from derelict buildings.

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Abbeyleix is lovely to visit and appreciate, but theres not much in it for the inhabitants.. a few pubs, one newsagents, depressing supermarkets.. thats about it.

you're so wrong about Abbeyleix, Bramleys cafe is a fantastic little place to eat and shop/browse, Mac's restaurant is booked solid every weekend, then there's preston house, Morrisey's pub, the new library........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

you're so wrong about Abbeyleix, Bramleys cafe is a fantastic little place to eat and shop/browse, Mac's restaurant is booked solid every weekend, then there's preston house, Morrisey's pub, the new library........

And a motorway to bypass it;):D

• Subscribers Posts: 41,592 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

.. im considering a little more.....

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

A lot of rumors going around about Jims about rent hikes and rates. A few rumors i have heard are rent not paid for months, suppliers owed thousands and for the last week of business no lazer or credit cards accepted only cash.

• Advertisement

moose112 wrote: »
    A lot of rumors going around about Jims about rent hikes and rates. A few rumors i have heard are rent not paid for months, suppliers owed thousands and for the last week of business no lazer or credit cards accepted only cash.

I heard that too. I also heard he served Shergar Meat Stew way back when the kidnapping took place. He was offered the meat on the cheap at the time, but no one was the wiser.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Ok, what else is good about Portlaoise? I mean, really, really, good, better than other towns, better than adequate, better than so-so.

I can't think of any, but I'd love to find some.

The gaelic football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭moose112

I heard that too. I also heard he served Shergar Meat Stew way back when the kidnapping took place. He was offered the meat on the cheap at the time, but no one was the wiser.:rolleyes:

WTF??

It seems everyone is blaming the landlord without anyone knowing the true facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Evolution Enter

Bit of a harsh comment about Mountrath a few posts up! Sure, half the town has shut down in the last year, a headline that didn't make it onto the front page of any paper, but it's the same all over. Portlaoise's Main Street is heading for serious trouble, so I wouldn't be calling anywhere else to bland just yet.

I mean have a look at the businesses on Main Street and start counting the ones struggling and on the way out! ****in' council may take a long look at how they raise their finances and then spend them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

The govt brought it very helpful VAT and PRSI reductions for restaurants last week, i'm sure this fella will be back in business soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

Shazanne wrote: »

Yep, born here almost 29 years ago and have lived here for the majority of those. Trust me its a kip, its my kip though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Veles wrote: »
    Its a kip that has a very special place in our hearts :D

So has cholesterol.

It's a kip destroyed by incompetent planning, indifferent councillors and inept local authorities.

Without the public sector employees it would be bust a long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have travelled the length and breath of this country, and have been all over europe and a couple trips to america in the past twelve yrs, i was in portlaoise about eight to ten months ago and spent the day idling around waiting for family member on business there, while there i went for lunch in this restaurant, on that day, i was blown away, the food was absolutely beautiful, service was friendly and first class, the place was busy, i am bitterely disappointed to hear this, it is a pity these rent and other fees are not brought in line with the downturn in this mans earnings, it will be a big loss to the town in terms of brilliant restaurant and employment, meaning more people facing dole que, it is a place that stood out for me, i wish this gentleman very good luck and hope he can carry on running a great business if not in those premises at the proper charges, then some other premises,

• Advertisement
Advertisement